PDA

View Full Version : update in OP !! My 19 day old has RSV.

petesgirl
03-06-2014, 04:47 PM
Update: we are finally home, after 5 days!! Thanks for all the support and well wishes!

This isn't really a BP, just wanting to complain somewhere....
We are on day 3 of our hospital stay and she is SO close to being weaned off oxygen, but just isn't there yet.
As great as BFing is made out to be, I'm tired of being stuck here at the hospital with her 24/7 because I'm her food source. I want to sleep in my bed, take a shower, get some clean clothes... But mostly I miss my 2 yr old and feel guilty that he hasn't had a momma for 3 days. :(

That said, I'm so relieved that we caught it early and that we live near a top-notch children's hospital!!

Momit
03-06-2014, 04:56 PM
Oh, I am so sorry. PT that your little one is better soon. How scary.

maybeebaby08
03-06-2014, 05:02 PM
I'm sorry, I hope DD gets better quickly! And you can get home for a shower and to see DS.

PZMommy
03-06-2014, 05:09 PM
I'm sorry! I've been there done that! My 36 weeker got RSV when he was not quite 3 weeks old. We spent a week in the ICU and it was the scariest week of my life!!!

jgenie
03-06-2014, 05:38 PM
So sorry you're going through this. P & PT for a quick recovery.

scrooks
03-06-2014, 05:47 PM
Oh my goodness! Sending lots of good thoughts your way. Ds1 had RSV at 4 months old and spent 3 nights in the hospital. I was able to leave for about 2 hours and run home and shower between his feedings. Wishing you a healthy baby and a shower very soon!!!!

bisous
03-06-2014, 07:56 PM
I'm SO sorry! That's horrible. I can totally see why you are having a hard time. I know your 2yo will be fine. I had to spend a lot of time in the hospital this time around and although he's a really hard kid, he got over it quickly! Sending prayers for a speedy recovery.

larig
03-06-2014, 08:00 PM
I had to send some PTs, RSV truly stands for, as they say in Baby 411, "Really Sucky Virus." It was the worst illness DS had. I'm so sorry!

zukeypur
03-06-2014, 08:02 PM
So sorry. I hope she is better soon and you both get to go home.

AnnieW625
03-06-2014, 08:02 PM
Oh no! I hope she gets better soon!

BunnyBee
03-06-2014, 08:07 PM
I hope you're both home soon!

MamaMolly
03-06-2014, 08:35 PM
Oh yuck. So glad you are almost done!

lmh2402
03-06-2014, 08:49 PM
Oh, OP, so sorry. I really hope DD is on the mend soon - RSV is simply the worst.

Hugs to you and your little ones.

georgiegirl
03-06-2014, 09:58 PM
Many hugs. How scary.

TwinFoxes
03-06-2014, 10:05 PM
I'm sorry. :hug:

StantonHyde
03-07-2014, 12:30 AM
i'm sorry. both of my kids had to take bottles from day one so they switched back and forth from breast to bottle without a problem. Sounds like your little one won't do that???? Because that would be awesome for you!!!

elephantmeg
03-07-2014, 09:01 AM
aw hugs, hope your baby is off oxygen soon!

123LuckyMom
03-07-2014, 09:12 AM
I'm so sorry! In glad the little one's on the mend.

egoldber
03-07-2014, 09:13 AM
I'm so sorry! I also had to stay with younger DD when she was hospitalized for RSV because she wouldn't take a bottle.

Is there not a shower in her room? That's what I did. When the nurses came in to do their checks, that's when I would jump in the shower. I also got a meal allotment because I was a nursing mom. Ask your nurse if that is available. I wouldn't have known except one of the residents mentioned it.

lizzywednesday
03-07-2014, 10:18 AM

Is there not a shower in her room? That's what I did. When the nurses came in to do their checks, that's when I would jump in the shower. I also got a meal allotment because I was a nursing mom. Ask your nurse if that is available. I wouldn't have known except one of the residents mentioned it.

If there isn't a shower in the room (not a private room), ask if there are parents' rooms. At CHOP there are several parents' rooms that have showers - and the hospital provides towels (they weren't the greatest, but they were towels and clean) - which is where I showered while staying with DD in the CICU.

I guess I was lucky that she took pumped milk in a bottle, but I have to say that commuting back-and-forth between the CICU and home really wore me out.

mommylamb
03-07-2014, 11:09 AM
Oh no. Sending get well wishes.

petesgirl
03-07-2014, 11:22 AM
We have never tried her on a bottle because she has had a hard time latching and I've been afraid that a bottle would ruin all chances of nursing. We actually found out about a center here in the hospital that is run by the Ronald McDonald house where I can go to shower and relax and eat. They have a fully stocked kitchen with food that has been donated by families and businesses in the community. You just never know when you will need to rely on the generosity of others. DH are planning some donations to the center when things calm down.

hellokitty
03-07-2014, 11:38 AM
{{{HUGS}}} I'm sorry that your little one is still at the hospital. Hoping that both of you can go home soon.

lizzywednesday
03-07-2014, 01:42 PM
We have never tried her on a bottle because she has had a hard time latching and I've been afraid that a bottle would ruin all chances of nursing. We actually found out about a center here in the hospital that is run by the Ronald McDonald house where I can go to shower and relax and eat. They have a fully stocked kitchen with food that has been donated by families and businesses in the community. You just never know when you will need to rely on the generosity of others. DH are planning some donations to the center when things calm down.

A bottle won't "ruin all chances of nursing" - take it from a mom who did have bottle-to-breast issues in a newborn, but managed to correct the latch & nurse for 33 months! The LC I saw was a godsend.

Ronald McDonald Houses are awesome. CHOP's parent rooms and lounges were supported by their area RMHs - there are 3 in the Philly metro - and the volunteers were amazing.

Sending continued hugs for your LO to get well soon.

rin
03-07-2014, 02:08 PM

DD1 was in the NICU after birth, and wasn't allowed to nurse at first, so had exclusively bottles/pacifiers for the first few days of her life. We went on to have a very good nursing relationship, and she nursed until 21 months. (We did deal with a bout of nipple confusion at about 2 months, so I know that's not just a myth, as I've heard some people say, but I think that it's not inevitable.)

carolinamama
03-07-2014, 02:14 PM
Sorry to hear your DD is sick. Sending get well vibes to her.

DS1 had to be bottle fed for the first 3 weeks. We had to work a bit with a wonderful lactation consultant but he went on to have a great latch.

ArizonaGirl
03-07-2014, 04:21 PM
Oh honey,

P and PTs for your littlest one.

TwoBees
03-08-2014, 03:49 PM
I'm so sorry. Lots of :hug: and P&PT.