PDA

View Full Version : Looking for good quality cardigans (NO wool/cashmere)

s7714
03-09-2014, 08:53 PM
I use cotton cardigans a lot to thrown on in cool mornings or in overly A/C'd stores. I'm tired of having them pill up or fade after only a year or two though. Who makes really good quality ones that will last? I haven't tried Lands End or LL Bean yet. Are those any good?

Please no recommendations for sweaters that contain ANY amount of animal fur or fluff--they all make me itch!

TIA!

lizzywednesday
03-10-2014, 08:59 AM
Can you wear acrylic? (I can't.) Acrylic usually won't fade or pill.

You might also want to look into silk or silk-blends.

No brand rec's, unfortunately, because I haven't worn cardigans since college.

twowhat?
03-10-2014, 11:55 AM
I hear ya, I hate acrylic and animal fluff - they make me itch no matter how soft. I love cotton, and silk:)

I just bought a LE cardigan. It seems well-made, with supima cotton (so theoretically it won't pill as easily because of longer cotton fibers) with substantial fabric (thicker than most) but I haven't washed or worn it yet so who knows. I also find the style/print a little fuddy-duddy (though I love the colors) - so I will be very careful to wear it with skinny jeans and modern accessories to tone that down! I tend to prefer prints when it comes to cardis but LE has lots of solid color choices too. I got this one:

http://s7.landsend.com/is/image/LandsEnd/426148_A513_FF_B3D?$prp_4up_v2$

I have a cotton/silk cardi from AT that is a few years old that has held up nicely though I really only wear it for work and it's dry clean only. I also have a black BR cotton/silk cardi that has held up extremely well (and machine wash, too!) but it's several years old and we all know clothes were better quality in past years. Every other cardi that I have with high cotton content pills under the arms where they rub the most. I don't mind for the ones I wear to work because they aren't worn as often, but for casual everyday wear, I just buy cheap cotton cardis from Target. They are on-trend enough for casual clothing, look and fit nicely, and are cheap so I don't mind replacing every couple of years.

eta: I also have this from loft which is a ramie/viscose blend. Not itchy, but quite sheer and would only take the slightest chill off - but it works for me because just having even a thin layer over my arms helps. I can tell this will hold up well - no pilling.
http://richmedia.channeladvisor.com/ImageDelivery/imageService?profileId=52000653&itemID=326640&swatchID=9451&recipeName=pdlg485x503

pastrygirl
03-10-2014, 12:12 PM
I've found some nice longer ones at Nordstrom Rack. One is a 100% cotton (with faux leather pocket patches) from Michael Kors, and another is a synthetic blend from Olivia Sky. I've only had them this winter so they haven't passed the test of time. I have two long cotton wraparound cardigans from years ago that are still going great, but I rarely find anything else that is the same quality. They're too big on me now but I won't give them up!

I tried the "blardigan" yesterday (see goldenpig's thread, LOL) and found the sleeves waaaay too tight. I didn't try the larger size. But it did seem awful snuggly and comfy!

s7714
03-10-2014, 01:42 PM
Can you wear acrylic? (I can't.) Acrylic usually won't fade or pill.

You might also want to look into silk or silk-blends.

No brand rec's, unfortunately, because I haven't worn cardigans since college.

Acrylic makes me itch a little so I usually avoid it. More because it's so static prone though!

s7714
03-10-2014, 01:59 PM
I hear ya, I hate acrylic and animal fluff - they make me itch no matter how soft. I love cotton, and silk:)

I just bought a LE cardigan. It seems well-made, with supima cotton (so theoretically it won't pill as easily because of longer cotton fibers) with substantial fabric (thicker than most) but I haven't washed or worn it yet so who knows. I also find the style/print a little fuddy-duddy (though I love the colors) - so I will be very careful to wear it with skinny jeans and modern accessories to tone that down! I tend to prefer prints when it comes to cardis but LE has lots of solid color choices too. I got this one:

I have a cotton/silk cardi from AT that is a few years old that has held up nicely though I really only wear it for work and it's dry clean only. I also have a black BR cotton/silk cardi that has held up extremely well (and machine wash, too!) but it's several years old and we all know clothes were better quality in past years. Every other cardi that I have with high cotton content pills under the arms where they rub the most. I don't mind for the ones I wear to work because they aren't worn as often, but for casual everyday wear, I just buy cheap cotton cardis from Target. They are on-trend enough for casual clothing, look and fit nicely, and are cheap so I don't mind replacing every couple of years.

The cheap Target ones are what I usually end up with too. I bought one at AT last year but it faded after a few washings so I was really disappointed (black, so the worst offender when faded). I don't buy dry clean stuff, LOL! I've looked at some expensive ones at Nordie's, but they didn't seem any different than the Target ones on simple inspection (other than price) so I'm afraid to get them out of fear they'll pill and fade just as easily so I thought I'd ask around! Maybe I'll start looking for some silk/cotton blends. I've probably seen some and just not paid any attention.

arivecchi
03-10-2014, 03:17 PM
I'd look at Splendid. A little pricier than most but very flattering and comfy. I do have a bunch of LE cardigans and I don't wear them because I always feel so grandmaish in them. Haven't tried llbean but I don't find their regular clothes to be flattering or appropriate for my age (do love their outerwear though!) I do have a loft one that is cute and comfy but I don't wear it that often because it's not as flattering as I'd like.

Percycat
03-10-2014, 03:18 PM
Let me state first that I am not someone to go to for fashion adivice...... I am a creature of habit and when I find something that works for me, I stick with it.

LE suprima cotton cardigans and the coordinating short sleeved sweaters are a staple in my closet. I wear them several times a week and have been wearing them for many years. I have at least 10 sets and several are very old. So far, the only ones I have gotten rid of are ones I ruined with a stain I couldn't get out.

The sweaters hold up well to my neglect. I wash them as needed in the washing machine with detergent and vinegar and usually let air dry, although they also frequently get thrown in the dryer. I don't do anything special --- like putting them in lingere bags or laying out flat to dry. I think they hold up great.

You can also get them at a really good price if you purchase with a 40% off sale or get them from Sears during a 50% off sale near the end of a season.

Kindra178
03-10-2014, 04:55 PM
I, too, have a bunch of LE cardis. I don't think they fit right, are not as flattering as I would like and I feel generally older than I am. Check out BR, Loft or even Gap. Loft quality is low but perfect for summer clothes that seemed to get ruined easier than more substantial winter pieces. For quality, Splendid. For in the middle pricing, Nordstrom's Halogen or Caslon.

citymama
03-11-2014, 02:42 AM
Another vote for Splendid. They continue to look great after lots of use.

wendibird22
03-11-2014, 09:03 AM
I find the LE to be too boxy shaped. I like to style a cardi differently...sometimes unbuttoned, sometimes belted, etc...and with the boxiness I can't do that very well without it looking bad. I have a few "trendy" colors/patterns from ON that have held up well. The best for color saturation and lack of pilling have actually been from NYC and Co (used to Lerner).

twowhat?
03-11-2014, 11:09 AM
OK, so last night I saw a bunch of cute things from LOFT - I had to try a few out! I got these:

http://richmedia.channeladvisor.com/ImageDelivery/imageService?profileId=52000653&itemID=318933&swatchID=1785&recipeName=gmd323x335

http://richmedia.channeladvisor.com/ImageDelivery/imageService?profileId=52000653&itemID=327072&swatchID=4711&recipeName=gmd323x335

http://richmedia.channeladvisor.com/ImageDelivery/imageService?profileId=52000653&itemID=324596&swatchID=1321&recipeName=gmd323x335

The first 2 are 100% cotton and the last one is ramie/viscose (I have another print in this cardi and it looks like it will hold up well with no pilling). I expect the first 2 will pill some but I LOVE the style and I'm totally a navy gal so I'm gonna risk it! LOFT has 40% off these items (full price) today. Not sure when it will end. I also threw in a couple of sweaters and a necklace to get FS:) All 3 get overall good reviews. If I love them, I will probably launder them VERY carefully to maximize their lifespan.

Oh, and I wanted to say to maybe check Hanna Anderssen for quality cardis. My girls have had several cardis from HA in more of a smooth interlock type knit in 100% cotton and they wear like IRON and are very soft. Seriously, we abuse abuse abuse them with washing and machine drying and they're still in fantastic shape. Maybe the womens' cardis are of similar quality but not sure the styles are all that great.

I'm gonna take a look at Splendid cardis too:)

brittone2
03-11-2014, 02:19 PM
Twowhat, I've been looking at that first sweater for a while. Let me know how you like it if you don't mind :) I've taken to hand washing a huge portion of my wardrobe in the bathtub with euclan. Awful that it has to be that way, but it has definitely helped my clothes hold up much, much better.

OP, I don't own any, but maybe try the Jackie cardigan from jcrew? There are some blogs dedicated to jcrew specifically. Maybe they'll have pics that help you decide if it is too boxy or how it wears.https://www.jcrew.com/womens_category/sweaters/cotton/PRDOVR~29350/29350.jsp

twowhat?
03-11-2014, 09:36 PM
Twowhat, I've been looking at that first sweater for a while. Let me know how you like it if you don't mind :) I've taken to hand washing a huge portion of my wardrobe in the bathtub with euclan. Awful that it has to be that way, but it has definitely helped my clothes hold up much, much better.

OP, I don't own any, but maybe try the Jackie cardigan from jcrew? There are some blogs dedicated to jcrew specifically. Maybe they'll have pics that help you decide if it is too boxy or how it wears.https://www.jcrew.com/womens_category/sweaters/cotton/PRDOVR~29350/29350.jsp

I'll let you know for sure! And yeah, I hear ya about laundering - I won't let DH touch my clothes, I am SO picky about laundering them gently, particularly the pieces I love and want to last!

NJ_Mom2011
03-12-2014, 05:01 AM
I would try Uniqlo for cardigans. This is an outrageous suggestion, as I haven't bought one yet. But I have been so very happy with the quality of all of my cotton T shirts and sweaters there. I am horrible about washing, I wash heavy wash under hot weather, on a small front loaded washing machine. The Uniqlo cotton clothes still look great even after multiple washings, while my Target clothes are pilling. Uniqlo prices are not outrageous either. http://www.uniqlo.com/us/women/tops/sweaters/uv-cut-v-neck-cardigans/women-uv-cut-v-neck-cardigan-087259.html

Less traditional but stylish cardigan: http://www.uniqlo.com/us/women/tops/sweaters/uv-cut-stole-cardigans/women-uv-cut-stole-cardigan-087261.html#09-004

Tenasparkl
03-12-2014, 01:21 PM
I have a few from Land's End canvas that are a little more stylish than regular land's end and still look great after lots of wear. I bought a few print & striped cardigans from Hanna Andersson a while back when they were on super sale and they look as good as when I opened the box. I'm really happy with the quality. Splendid is great but I only have lighter weight wrap type things from them, not true cardigans. I wear them all the time. I've had many J. Crew Jackie cardigans over the years and always love them at first and then find that they either shrink or just look kind of blah. It's possible that I'm not following the wash instructions though. They usually have a nice selection of colors.

s7714
03-12-2014, 11:28 PM
I would try Uniqlo for cardigans. This is an outrageous suggestion, as I haven't bought one yet. But I have been so very happy with the quality of all of my cotton T shirts and sweaters there. I am horrible about washing, I wash heavy wash under hot weather, on a small front loaded washing machine. The Uniqlo cotton clothes still look great even after multiple washings, while my Target clothes are pilling. Uniqlo prices are not outrageous either. http://www.uniqlo.com/us/women/tops/sweaters/uv-cut-v-neck-cardigans/women-uv-cut-v-neck-cardigan-087259.html

Less traditional but stylish cardigan: http://www.uniqlo.com/us/women/tops/sweaters/uv-cut-stole-cardigans/women-uv-cut-stole-cardigan-087261.html#09-004

I do like the shirts and dresses I've gotten from there. Maybe I'll give them a try. Seems like their inventory varies so dramatically at times I kind of gave up on them.

s7714
03-12-2014, 11:32 PM
Thanks everyone I'll start checking of these places. :)

twowhat?
03-13-2014, 10:14 PM
OK, so I received this one today (that was super fast - it had a tag on it so must have come from a local store). I LOVE it. I wish it was longer (but I wish that about EVERYTHING these days) but it's really flattering and has some structure and could be easily dressed up for work! It is totally thicker than I imagined - in the picture it looks sheer because of the striped shirt underneath but in actuality the herringbone knit has the stripe to it! So it's not sheer at all and is about as thick as a sweatshirt. It's 100% cotton, so not itchy at all! The only thing is that I'm afraid to wash it even though it says machine wash and tumble dry low. When I do wash it, it will be in the bathtub, no tumbling, or dry clean:) The arms are cut quite slim, at least for the size xs that I got - but I have crazy skinny arms so it works great for me. If you have normal arms (seriously, my arms are TOO skinny and I actually wish they were thicker), then you might find the sleeves too snug for layering.

http://richmedia.channeladvisor.com/ImageDelivery/imageService?profileId=52000653&itemID=327072&swatchID=4711&recipeName=gmd323x335

twowhat?
03-15-2014, 11:22 AM

Got the first cardi (the navy blue one with white speckles). LOVE it. I have no idea how well it will hold up, and I imagine I will have to care very gently for it, but the material is substantial (not super thin like Target cardis), it's 100% cotton and very cozy, and it looks GREAT on! It can totally be dressed up for work even though it's listed in the loungewear section! Also, it appears to be sewn together quite well