PDA

View Full Version : Breastfeeding and cold medications?

TwoBees
03-10-2014, 09:43 AM
I have a nasty cold. :( What cold medications are compatible with breastfeeding? I've looked at the info from Kellymom here (http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/meds/cold-remedy/). Do you consider this a reliable source? Should I call the ped to verify (or do I need to call my OB instead?)?

georgiegirl
03-10-2014, 09:58 AM
Kellymom is very reliable

Sudafed is okay if you don't nave supply issues. When I was sick two weeks ago, I would take sudafed at night along with a cup of lactation tea.

Beckylove
03-10-2014, 12:20 PM
I have great production, but pseudoephedrine gave me a large, noticeable supply drop. So keep an eye on it if you go that route and quit taking the sudafed ASAP if you are having issues.

TwoBees
03-10-2014, 12:34 PM
Kellymom is very reliable

Sudafed is okay if you don't nave supply issues. When I was sick two weeks ago, I would take sudafed at night along with a cup of lactation tea.

I have great production, but pseudoephedrine gave me a large, noticeable supply drop. So keep an eye on it if you go that route and quit taking the sudafed ASAP if you are having issues.

Does supply generally return once you stop taking the medication?

Beckylove
03-10-2014, 01:45 PM
Yep, it came right back.

georgiegirl
03-10-2014, 02:19 PM

I've heard the dip is worse if your child is older (9+ mo). I only took it at night and drank 3 cups of earth mama angel baby lactation tea, which is supposed to boost supply. I'm guessing they balanced each other out.

ncat
03-10-2014, 11:10 PM
The sudafed dip in supply is impressive - I think I was down 25 -35% from my normal pumping output.

flashy09
03-11-2014, 11:38 AM
I started taking Advil for colds. Most of the stuffy feeling in the nose is actually swollen nasal passages and Advil reduces inflammation/swelling. Plus iy takes care of sinus headaches and sore throats and is fine with breastfeeding. Just regular Advil, not the cold and sinus version.