PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas for increasing protein in my diet

wendibird22
03-13-2014, 11:54 AM
I've been tracking my food on MFP. No matter what I change the goal settings to (from the recommended/standard to a lower carb %) I cannot meet my protein intake. Like, not even come close to meeting it. My carb is always at (if I decrease the %age) or below and my fat (regardless of setting) is always above. Being gluten free, my meals often have veggie/fruit, dairy, and meat. I eat greek yogurt, cottage cheese, cheddar, eggs (w yolk), hummus, tuna and always a meat at dinner (chicken, salmon, venison, turkey sausage, talapia, pork). I also have mixed nuts, larabars, Kind bars, and the like on hand for snack at work.

MFP has me consuming 1200-1400 calories (depending on if I worked out) and of course, working out increases my requested caloric intake which just increases the protein amount suggested making the deficit worse. But given that I'm missing the mark day in and day out it's clear why I'm STARVING all the time.

Ideas for lean proteins?

Katigre
03-13-2014, 12:06 PM
How many grams of protein a day are your aiming for? I think most women need about 50g/day as a minimum starting point.

I think I'd try adding in protein at another meal too - do you do smoothies and use protein powder? Do you eat eggs?

If you're gluten free and use almond or coconut flour you'll use a lot more eggs in your baked goods which will up your protein too.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles
03-13-2014, 12:21 PM
Would lentils work? I have been loving split red lentils from Trader Joes. They cook fast and I serve with roast veggies or stir in some chick peas.

123LuckyMom
03-13-2014, 12:34 PM
I'd up your legumes! Put beans in everything. You can also make things like muffins and cookies out of beans. I know on a site for South Beach recipes I've visited there are lots of recipes for making things with beans. I haven't tried any of them, though, so I can't recommend any specific recipes.

wendibird22
03-13-2014, 12:42 PM
How many grams of protein a day are your aiming for? I think most women need about 50g/day as a minimum starting point.

I think I'd try adding in protein at another meal too - do you do smoothies and use protein powder? Do you eat eggs?

If you're gluten free and use almond or coconut flour you'll use a lot more eggs in your baked goods which will up your protein too.

With MFP at the default setting, my protein should be 60g (fat 40g). But if I adjust carbs from 50% down to say 35% that ups the protein requirement to ~100g. In looking back at the past week my protein intake ranged from 38g to 83g but was most frequently ~55g. So most days I'm only eating about 1/2 of the protein I should be, but I'm always meeting my calorie goal and usually at or slightly exceeding fat intake.

I do eat eggs a few times a week, but not daily. I usually do a yogurt smoothie using Greek yogurt or just do the Greek yogurt plain topped with a few frozen berries. I have Greek yogurt daily. I don't do a lot of making/baking substitute foods so I rarely use almond or coconut flour.

Katigre
03-13-2014, 01:09 PM
I personally wouldn't increase your protein to more than 60g/day. I'd up your fat intake and vegetable based carbohydrates instead.

pastrygirl
03-13-2014, 01:51 PM
I hit a minimum of 100g/day. My husband makes our bread and it has protein; I eat it with sliced cheese for breakfast. Snacks are peanut butter, almonds, or trail mix. I eat 4-6oz of meat (usually chicken or sausage) for lunch and dinner. Many days, I eat egg whites for lunch with sausage. I also supplement with protein shakes on workout days or days when my protein intake is lower than normal.

Raw almonds really help me feel full, more than any other snack food.

arivecchi
03-13-2014, 02:45 PM
I eat a lot of chicken salad on lettuce and raw salmon (ie lox on bagels, salmon sushi). Not sure if that's helpful.

JElaineB
03-13-2014, 10:13 PM
100 g protein/day is too much for most women. If you are decreasing carbs you should up your fat. I personally aim for 70 g protein/day and try to get no more than 90. I also have a goal for 110 g fat/day but a bit more or less is ok with me. I eat very few carbs (MFP goal of 35 g total carbs/day), approx 1400 cal.