PDA

View Full Version : What and when is your 8 month old eating

scrooks
03-14-2014, 08:28 AM
We started ds2 on purees about a month and a half ago. I have checked out baby led weaning but haven't yet read it. :bag My goal was to keep purees to a minimum. Anyway his schedule is typically nurse in the morning, nurse at noon, 1-1.5 stage 2 jars a 1/2 hour to an hour later, nurse around 4ish (after his nap), 1-1.5 stage 2 jars around 6, sometimes sneak in a short nursing session but usually 5-6 oz bottle of formula around 7 and bed (no flames on the formula, it works for us) and then nurse once in the middle of the night.

Does that hat sound like too much food? I was thinking about adding breakfast too....
and he seems hungry...is it possible my supply is low? I rarely leak or feel full..

BunnyBee
03-14-2014, 02:14 PM
You don't need to read anything! Just give the baby some of whatever you're having (within reason of course. Not popcorn choking hazard stuff.). It's so much easier than jars, and the baby will eat when he's hungry and stop when he's not. I nurse before meals and offer baby food when we are having something. I also teach signs for more and done, which helps for cranky toddlerhood. Any food is just for practice now.

We give full fat, plain Greek yogurt (mixed with banana or sweet potato or...) in a squeezy pouch before going up to do bed routine. Probably same principal as your offering formula. I think we started around 9 mos? It seemed to make a difference in sleep. The baby was up every 2 hours and I was losing my mind!

mikala
03-14-2014, 02:46 PM
At that age I was also nursing pretty consistently and then offering solids at family meal times. We did very few purees and mostly fed the foods the rest of us ate, especially fruits and vegetables. I held off on really salty and fried foods for a bit and tried to focus on more whole foods than heavily processed foods and grains. I cut things into reasonable pieces for baby to hold and eat without many teeth. Roasted sweet potatoes were popular, ripe pear slivers, quartered banana spears, halved blueberries, cooked frozen veggie mix with tiny pieces of carrot, green beans, peas and corn. I often fed shredded meat too. When I made soup I'd feed baby the cooked veggies without much broth.

Your supply should be fine so long as baby is nursing regularly, gaining weight appropriately and seems content after feeding. With both kids I stopped leaking before 6 mo and it was fine.

ncat
03-16-2014, 12:24 AM
DS gets solids at family meal times, if he is awake. Generally a little of whatever we are eating that is reasonable, supplemented with homemade purees.

During the week, he gets solids at daycare about twice a day. Once we started this about a month ago, he pretty much dropped form 3 to 4 4 oz bottles at daycare to 2 bottles.

some recent foods -
diced fruit - bananas, kiwis, mangos, strawberries (whatever we have that's reasonably soft)
steamed broccoli florets (probably his favorite food!)
avocado slices
Cheerios
graham crackers
scrambled eggs
pancakes (cut in strips, no syrup)
shredded roast chicken

sweet potato puree (roasted, mashed, and frozen into cubes)
butternut squash puree