PDA

View Full Version : I'm one person, in a world with 24 hour days

ahisma
03-17-2014, 12:15 AM
I went back to work full time (ish) about 6 months ago. I'm a consultant, paid by the hour, and while I have a flexible schedule I generally work between 30-50 hours / week. All billable, I do no networking, etc. (I should - but there's no time).

Prior to that I was home, in grad school before that.

DH is cranky as all get out about the time I'm spending working. Yet, he doesn't want me to stop working. It's as if he magically wants me to find 6-8 hours/day that don't.remotely.impact. him. to do my work in a hidden location while magically getting everything else done.

Oh - and while I work those 30-50 hours/ week? DS 2 is home TWO of them. He's 5 and is a very high needs kid. But, DH doesn't want him in daycare those two off days - and he really can't be because he has therapists appointments, OT, etc.

Yet...yeah. It just stinks. Juggling it is hard, being told that I'm not juggling well enough to protect DH from being impacted really drives me up the wall. He's spent the past two weeks huffing about like a cranky teenager.

AshleyAnn
03-17-2014, 12:25 AM
Somebody needs to put on his big boy panties and deal. Youre working for the good of the family and as part of the family he is going to be impacted. I'd call him out on it before it becomes a big issue and he's all "why are u upset now it was fine for X weeks/months/years" and you weren't fine all along.

MMMommy
03-17-2014, 01:11 AM
:hug5: I am so sorry. I hope the weight of the world eases up soon. You are being pulled in all directions. Hope things get better.

niccig
03-17-2014, 01:59 AM
Somebody needs to put on his big boy panties and deal. Youre working for the good of the family and as part of the family he is going to be impacted. I'd call him out on it before it becomes a big issue and he's all "why are u upset now it was fine for X weeks/months/years" and you weren't fine all along.

:yeahthat: Dh did this when I started grad school/part-time work after being SAHM for several years. I told him he had a choice a) help out more or b) more income from me working. There was no c) I will still do everything and work. I think it helped that I can be huffy like a teenager better than DH can, so he stepped up as he knew if he tried for option c) it wouldn't be pleasant for him.

HannaAddict
03-17-2014, 04:11 AM
I would be upset. I hope he starts supporting you and understanding the math of the 24 hours in a day and how much time it takes to put in 30-50 hours of actual work. Good luck.

hillview
03-17-2014, 08:15 AM
that stinks he sounds like he is being unreasonable. Can you hire some help? Sit down with DH and discuss schedules and what would make him happy/what he suggests?

MamaMolly
03-17-2014, 12:00 PM
Your DH needs a reality check, and I don't mean that in a nasty way.