PDA

View Full Version : DisneyLAND with a 4 yo and a 1 yo? Or just go with the 1 yo?

TxCat
03-18-2014, 03:52 PM
I need some help thinking this through.

DD1 is turning into a full-fledged Disney addict. I had found some older threads discussing best ages to go to Disney, and I saw that there were some recommendations to consider going before age of 5 (if it wouldn't be the only Disney trip ever) to capture the "magic" of believing in the princesses, etc. DD1 is 3 1/2, and I was thinking abou trying to put a trip together in the next 6-12 months. But, I don't know what to do about DD2, who will be 1 in August. Here are my options: 1) bring her along - she's been pretty mellow so far, so she might be okay in a carrier or stroller, napping at the park, etc., 2) leave DD2 at home with my ILs and DH and I take DD1 to Disneyland, 3) I could go solo with DD1, 4) we could wait another year or two - maybe when the girls are 6 and 3?

Any advice?

♥ms.pacman♥
03-18-2014, 04:03 PM
I don't have much advice as we are going on our first Disneyland trip in a couple months (kids will be 3 and 4).

Though If it were me, I'd probably do option 1 (go as a family). next maybe 2 (leave your DD2 home). Some things to think about: The thing that would make me hesitate about waiting a few years are A) your DD1 will probably be in school and thus you would be constrained to only go in summer/spring break/holiday breaks which translates to much worse crowds, much higher hotel prices (at least for summer), etc . And the other big thing B) DL tickets for kids under 3 are FREE! So no extra cost to bring your DD2 along. If you wait till your DD2 is 3yo, then you'd have to pay for her ticket and that translates into hundreds of dollars if we are talking about 3 or 4 day trip.

Anyway, the school thing is big for us, DH is adamant about not pulling kids out of school for trips. our kids are not in school yet but DH will be taking a position as a university lecturer in the future, so that's a big reason we are going now. After this trip, depending on how things go, if kids really like it we will try to go again (spring break 2015) when DS is 5 and DD is 4. After that DS will be in school.

123LuckyMom
03-18-2014, 04:05 PM
I would go as a whole family. If you and your DH are both going, I'd bring both the girls. We took DD to Disneyworld when she was just 11 months, and she LOVED it! She was just wide eyed and thrilled at everything. She was a very easy baby, though, not easily frightened or distressed, just curious about everything. I know she won't remember that trip, but we have the pictures to prove she had a blast!

theriviera
03-18-2014, 04:05 PM
I would bring DD2 along. Try to stay close by (or even on property) so one of you can bring DD2 back to the room for a nap. We live close by but brought our DD2 a lot when she was <1 year.

elektra
03-18-2014, 05:05 PM
I would take everyone!
We took DS when he was 5 months, a year, and 17 months. I just looked up the pictures and he seemed to be having a great time. :) I remember when we took DD for her 3rd birthday (so DS was about a year old) he LOVED the princesses and had the biggest smile on his face when Belle came around.
They can go on almost all, if not every, ride the 3 yo's can go on.

Tenasparkl
03-18-2014, 05:08 PM
We took DS for the first time right after his first birthday and he has been there another 4 or 5 times since then (we have APs - he's now almost 2). He's had a blast every time looking at the characters and watching rides etc. We take him on some things with us like Dumbo, the trains & the Bug's Life rides and he has so much fun. He's napped there in both an ergo and the stroller with no problem.

AnnieW625
03-18-2014, 05:09 PM
:yeahthat: (to what The Riviera said) we live 20 minutes away, but if we didn't I would do my best to stay on property or very very close to the main gate. The Best Western Plus Park Place Inn (http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/US/CA/Anaheim-hotels/BEST-WESTERN-PLUS-Park-Place-Inn---Mini-Suites/Hotel-Overview.do?propertyCode=05470) on Harbor right across from the Harbor Blvd. entrance is just as far as DL hotel and it has gotten some great reviews from BBer Bubba Ray. I think she went in 2011 and she liked it better than the HoJo. The Candy Cane Inn is also on the same block of Harbor Blvd IIRC, so pretty convenient to the park.

we first brought DD1 when she was 21 months old and then from that time until she was 4 we went about 10 times, and then we took DD2 about 3 to 5 times between the time she was a year old and just shy of 2. Disney with a baby is pretty easy especially if you go with another adult now that they have a parent wait line. I have never actually used this, but friends of mine who had an 18 month old did and they said it worked great.

MMMommy
03-18-2014, 05:11 PM
Take all! We have taken both DDs to Disneyland every year since under age 1. It has become a tradition for us to go yearly. We are Northern CA residents, which makes such trips possible. As babies, we took them on Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Small World, Jungle Cruise, etc. When they were under age 1, our DDs were too young to be scared of Haunted Mansion and the like. Disneyland is always super fun for the family.

bisous
03-18-2014, 10:28 PM
I've been to DL with LOTS of 1yos. (3 of my own multiple times and with multiple nieces and nephews). Every single one of them has been just fine--except for my DS3! However, if I had an opportunity to take him back to the hotel for naps, even he would probably be fine!

If you want, I can give you a list of my favorite things for that age. NAK right now but let me know!

BayGirl2
03-18-2014, 11:25 PM
Bring them both. We did our first trip when DD was 1 and DS was 3 and it worked out great. Rider Swap is what Annie was referring to I think (there's no separate parent line, the waiting parent can return through the FastPass line). Learn how to use Rider Swap plus Fastpass and its actually an advantage in touring. There is so much for babies to do at DL and they are just in awe of all the sites and sounds. My kids always napped in the stroller so we don't go back to the hotel in the afternoons, we use that time to chill and for DH and I to ride the adult rides.

TxCat
03-19-2014, 06:10 PM
Thank you all for the reassurance!! I showed this thread to DH, and he was pleasantly surprised as well to see that this trip could be successful with those ages. Now I can start planning - I'm not even sure where to begin, but it's fun to think about!

sayma
03-20-2014, 08:57 PM
Bring them both. We did our first trip when DD was 1 and DS was 3 and it worked out great. Rider Swap is what Annie was referring to I think (there's no separate parent line, the waiting parent can return through the FastPass line). Learn how to use Rider Swap plus Fastpass and its actually an advantage in touring. There is so much for babies to do at DL and they are just in awe of all the sites and sounds. My kids always napped in the stroller so we don't go back to the hotel in the afternoons, we use that time to chill and for DH and I to ride the adult rides.

How does the Rider Swap work? Will both my husband and I need a FastPass and then when we get to the front of the FP line we swap? We're going to DL next week and we have a 5 and 2 y/o so this would be a great way to get on some of the adult rides:).

TIA!

BayGirl2
03-21-2014, 12:48 AM
How does the Rider Swap work? Will both my husband and I need a FastPass and then when we get to the front of the FP line we swap? We're going to DL next week and we have a 5 and 2 y/o so this would be a great way to get on some of the adult rides:).

TIA!
I have a whole thing written up on it. Here you go, optimizing Child Swap with Fast Pass:

Plan which Fast Passes you want and assign one parent as a FP runner (they go and get the FPs when the right time window opens up while the rest of the family does something (eats, waits in line, whatever). You can get one FP for each paid ticket, meaning if only adults are riding the FP rides you can use your kids tickets to get extras. Child Swap allows one parent to ride then the other parent can return and enter the FP line to ride faster.
Here's an example: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2941549
Note that FP's now must be used within their time window. Child Swap does NOT have a time window, so the second parent can return to ride much later in the day if you want.
For 2 adults and 2 non-rider ticketed kids you can get a FP for 4 different rides at a time, send one parent to ride and get a child swap card, then the other parent rides w/o waiting.

If you have one kid who can ride, your 5yo, you will need 2 FP's. First parent rides with the 5yo and gets a Child Swap card. When they are done the other parent can ride with the 5yo again. So the 5yo will get to ride twice - one of the nice legal-loopholes of child swap. (My DS rode RSR 6 times, he's totally spoiled now)

BayGirl2
03-21-2014, 12:51 AM
Another helpful list - Kid rides near the FP rides. This is handy for the non-riding parent with the younger child:

DL:
Splash Mountain: Winnie the Pooh ride and character M&G
BTMRR: Character greeting at Big Thunder Ranch, Sailing Ship Columbia, Mark Twain Riverboat
Indiana Jones: Jungle Cruise, Tiki Room, Tarzan Treehouse
Matterhorn: Small World, really just about anything in Fantasyland
Space Mountain/Star Tours: Watch the Jedi Training Academy, Buzz Lightyear, Big water sphere (kids are fascinated by this thing for some reason)

In DCA:
California Screamin: Toy Story Mania(though this line may be too long...) King Triton's Carousel, Voyage of the Little Mermaid
Tower of Terror: Anything in A bug's land, Monster's Inc.
Grizzly River Run: Redwood Creek Challenge Trail

twowhat?
03-22-2014, 01:05 PM
If your budget would only allow a "once in a lifetime" trip to Disney, then I'd wait because no matter the ages, a first trip to Disney is magical. But if you plan on going more than once, then go now and as a family with everyone!! I saw plenty of babies in the parks, in Ergos or strollers or whatever. We went when the girls were 4.5 and it truly is magical to see it through their eyes - everything is REAL and watching their awe is amazing. The characters are amazing and to this day my girls believe they really had a conversation with Aladdin (and OMG he was awesome even though they'd never seen the movie!).

daniele_ut
03-22-2014, 06:24 PM
I nee

4) we could wait another year or two - maybe when the girls are 6 and 3?

Any advice?

Our first trip to DL with kids was when DS1 was turning 6 and DD was just a few months shy of 3. Even DH said it was a fantastic trip and he's not into Disney much at all. DD was really into the characters and enjoyed every ride. DS1 loved being there for his birthday and was tall enough to ride everything he wanted to ride. We drove from UT and spent the night along the way so we got to DL right after her nap and spent the afternoon in the park and then stayed for the Halloween party. DD outlasted DS1 and was up until the park closed at midnight. On the second day we went back to the hotel for swimming and she napped there, and on the 3rd day she napped in the stroller for a while.

Our second trip to DL with kids was when DS1 was 8, DD was about to turn 5 and DS2 was 11 months old. The big kids had a great time on pretty much everything and we were traveling with their best friends. DS2 really did have a lot of fun watching parades and on the dark rides, but I will admit that it was a lot more work for ME. DS2 wasn't walking yet, so he was content in the stroller or the Beco for the most part and he napped on the go, which was convenient. There was also a lot more sitting around and waiting for everyone else to do things and then parent swap. We spent 4 full days in the parks on that trip and actually accomplished less than on the previous trip because of the time spent parent swapping. DS2 also didn't sleep particularly well in the hotel so I was up super early every morning with him. We chose to stay at the HoJo for price ($79 a night with the Super Family Rate) and proximity to the park, but in hindsight it would have been nice to have a suite so I would have been able to entertain him while the others slept. I had to stick him in the stroller and walk outside. One morning I took him to Mimi's for breakfast and another morning we went to McDs. The trip was still a LOT of fun for everyone, but *I* definitely had more fun on the first trip.

I actually just reserved 4 nights in October at the HoJo with the Super Family Rate and am currently trying to convince DH that we should go back!