PDA

View Full Version : Frizzafracking Windows 7, WiFi, and the Workplace

lizzywednesday
03-20-2014, 01:48 PM
I have a company-issued laptop for work; I telecommute 3 out of 5 days.

Since Microsoft is pulling support for Windows XP at the end of the month, IT upgraded my laptop to Windows 7 on Tuesday.

It worked fine yesterday, a telecommute day, but today ... today, I don't know if it's the OS or what, but my e-mail isn't working.

This is really frustrating because ... 90% of my job is conducted via e-mail.

I cannot receive e-mail.
I cannot send e-mail.
I can't even ACCESS the stinking program because it's not responding.
When I start the program, I get an install dialogue. WHAT THE WHAT?

So, I spent the whole morning not realizing that my email wasn't working ... and I really need someone to follow up on another ticket (unrelated) so I can complete a project tomorrow. It's actually essential that I get an answer about this other issue while I'm in the office, because I don't have access to the programs required to complete it at home due to the company not wanting to license them department-wide ... and I can't even tell my teammates I'm e-mail less because ... I have no email. (How's THAT for a Kafka-esque problem??)

I honestly hope it's a simple fix that they can do NOW ... I usually leave at 3:30p and it's almost 2p now.

zag95
03-20-2014, 04:32 PM
Lame. Gotta love technology. Hope tomorrow is a better day.

lizzywednesday
03-21-2014, 08:52 AM
It gets better:

After trying to troubleshoot it myself ... I deleted the Outlook executable file. :banghead:

I now have to check my voicemail to see if IT called me after I left yesterday and I typically telecommute Fridays!

tabegle
03-21-2014, 09:55 AM
Stinks! So sorry! If your IT is anything like mine, they will email you their response without even realizing you can't see the response!

Do you have the ability to access a web based portal to get to your inbox? I have that, but then I can't access any of my personal folders. It's not ideal, but it's a start.

lizzywednesday
03-21-2014, 01:48 PM
Stinks! So sorry! If your IT is anything like mine, they will email you their response without even realizing you can't see the response!

Do you have the ability to access a web based portal to get to your inbox? I have that, but then I can't access any of my personal folders. It's not ideal, but it's a start.

They set me up yesterday with the web portal, which was good because I didn't have the newest one.

Then they tried calling me directly (gave them my home #) but the caller ID came up as "unknown" - no, thanks, I've been getting a lot of robo-calls lately, so I don't pick up for stuff without an ID, but I'd already gotten an e-mail from the local IT guys on how to fix it.

Thankfully, it's been re-installed successfully and hasn't been giving me grief. Which is good, because we got some other less than great news today.