PDA

View Full Version : perfectionism argh

hillview
03-22-2014, 10:52 AM
DS1 is doing his science fair. ALL he has to do today is take the printed pages and glue them to the poster board. He is an HOUR into it, reprinted 3 times. He is now cutting them down. He HATES how it looks and is STILL working on it. I want to stab myself in the eye. I'd have glued them down in 3 mins and be done with it.

Indianamom2
03-22-2014, 05:29 PM
I understand, except it's DH who is this way. It annoys the heck out of me at the time, but it has served him (and us) very well in the end. Plus, it is absolutely essential in his career (law/finance). But I bet he was something to behold as a kid!

JustMe
03-22-2014, 07:20 PM
This is so hard. Both of my kids have their areas of being perfectionists, but it is not a constant.

I know this is the BP, so feel free to disregard my unrequested advice...if you feel good about his teacher, you might want to speak to him/her to see if the teacher can be enlisted in helping with this. For example, letting your ds know (or even saying to the whole class) that she/he does not expect final products to be perfect, etc. I have done this with my ds and his teacher, and it works really well in our case.