PDA

View Full Version : Don't make me go home!

misshollygolightly
03-25-2014, 08:56 AM
I'm returning home from a job interview today, but I don't wanna go back home!!! Two nights before I left for my trip, DD came down with the nasty stomach flu thing that is going around, and we were up all night with her for two nights in a row. (She threw up 7 times the first night!) I worked overtime to try to get ready for my interview, take care of the grocery shopping, and get the house/laundry cleaned up before I left. Well, last night DH calls me at my hotel in the middle of the night to tell me he and DS are now sick as dogs and I need to get home as soon as possible. Ugh! It's not like I can leave in the middle of my two-day interview! I know he's tired and miserable, and it sucks that he has to deal with this alone, but what am I supposed to do?!? I'm cutting things a bit short today by leaving right after the departmental interview and cutting out before lunch so I can start on the drive home, but I don't even want to do that. The thought of rushing back to be surrounded by three sick people and having to take care of all their messes (and, inevitably, get sick myself) just sounds awful. And I really can't afford to get sick this week. I'm working full-time (8-5) PLUS teaching a night class once a week from 6-10 at night. Oh, and trying to revise a book manuscript and LAND A FRICKIN JOB (which is a whole other BP). I don't have time for this!!!

dogmom
03-25-2014, 09:03 AM
Honestly, I would leave when I was planning to leave originally and just as forgiveness on return.

TwinFoxes
03-25-2014, 10:12 AM
That's awful. There's no way you should leave in the middle of an interview. That said, I'd go back ASAP, and DH would do the same for me. It does sound truly awful though. I hope you manage to stay well.

ahisma
03-25-2014, 10:20 AM
I wouldn't leave early either. I wouldn't linger, but I'd do the lunch. They're miserable, but they can make it through. I'd probably call and see if neighbor could drop off Pedialyte, crackers, ginger ale, etc...but no way would I cut an interview short unless someone was headed to the hospital.

When I got home, I'd definitely take over and let DH get some serious rest.

hillview
03-25-2014, 10:55 AM
I wouldn't leave early either. I wouldn't linger, but I'd do the lunch. They're miserable, but they can make it through. I'd probably call and see if neighbor could drop off Pedialyte, crackers, ginger ale, etc...but no way would I cut an interview short unless someone was headed to the hospital.

When I got home, I'd definitely take over and let DH get some serious rest.
:yeahthat:assuming you want the job I agree with the above OOH and see if a task rabbit can deliver what you need (love task rabbit)

cvanbrunt
03-25-2014, 11:17 AM
Don't leave early! Lunches are important parts of the interview.

♥ms.pacman♥
03-25-2014, 12:11 PM
Don't leave early! Lunches are important parts of the interview.
:yeahthat:

Yes, this. And I agree with ahisma. unless there's an ER trip, I would not leave early at all.

Your DH needs to buck up. You have done enough, IMO. I get that some men are major babies when sick...mine totally is and i do cut him some slack. And taking care o f sick kids is no picnic. But if i had a job interview, there's no way i'd risk any part of that just to go home and take care of DH and a sick kid. My DH is a baby when sick (he gets the man-flu) but he would not ask me to leave early in this situation...that is not really fair to you IMO to even ask (i would be peeved he actually called me in the middle of the night and interrupted my sleep!!) If i was out doing a spa day or doing something fun with friends, sure I'd cancel or leave early.

i don't know. I was a SAHm for several years with DH who traveled for work extensively, no family in town so i had countless cases of being sick myself (or having a migraine) and having to care for 2 LOs for several days, and sometimes they were sick too. While it sucked, i would never ask my DH to cut a work trip short, much less a job interview.

i'd maybe ask a friend if they can deliver gatorade or whatnot. but then again, why isn't a man capable of doing this sort of thing himself?

twowhat?
03-25-2014, 02:08 PM
No way, do not leave early or mention this to anyone you're interviewing with! They'll survive a few extra hours on their own. Making the best possible impression on this interview is more important. Being sick (even a horrible stomach bug) is NOT an emergency. If it were my DH, he would've made sure I DIDN'T know about this while I was at a job interview! He can ask the neighbors to pick up pedialyte, etc. This is not something you need to coordinate right now!

MamaMolly
03-25-2014, 02:22 PM
I don't know about your DH but if the shoe were on the other foot at my house I'd be expected to suck it up. I cannot imagine my DH coming home early from a mandatory work thing for a stomach bug. He's not a monster, he came home when I broke my ankle last year and made me go to the ER even though I was pretending to be fine. But a tummy bug, although miserable, is something you just ride out. You going home early isn't going to make it actually any better.

TwoBees
03-25-2014, 02:31 PM
**hugs**

♥ms.pacman♥
03-25-2014, 02:38 PM
No way, do not leave early or mention this to anyone you're interviewing with! They'll survive a few extra hours on their own. Making the best possible impression on this interview is more important. Being sick (even a horrible stomach bug) is NOT an emergency. If it were my DH, he would've made sure I DIDN'T know about this while I was at a job interview! He can ask the neighbors to pick up pedialyte, etc. This is not something you need to coordinate right now!
Yes this, forgot to mention in my post...I would NOT say "sorry I need to miss lunch as my dh/kids are sick"..that is not going to look good. And yes, my dh, while he does get super man sick when I am there, if this hapened to us he would have not told me aboit it at all until it was all over bc he would not have wanted me worried and distracted for the interview.

misshollygolightly
03-25-2014, 03:56 PM
Thanks, y'all. I stuck it out for the entire interview and then high-tailed it home. Fortunately, it's not too long of a drive. When I opened the door to our home, though, it was like walking into a wall of nasty, nasty, humid germs. Ugh! DH was passed out in bed, DS was napping, and DD had fallen asleep sprawled on the floor of her bedroom WITH THE LIGHTS ON! It's going to take me a week to Lysol the cr@p out of this place and get through the laundry, but I think we'll all survive. I hope this interview was worth it!

I feel bad for poor DH and I *know* he's miserable, but I do still wish he hadn't called like that. There have definitely been times when I've been the one stuck at home with sick kids while he's away at a conference or whatnot and I don't call asking him to come home right away. Grumble. Grumble.

StantonHyde
03-25-2014, 05:14 PM
I feel bad for poor DH and I *know* he's miserable, but I do still wish he hadn't called like that. There have definitely been times when I've been the one stuck at home with sick kids while he's away at a conference or whatnot and I don't call asking him to come home right away. Grumble. Grumble.

Well then, the next time he is away and the kids are sick--you will need to make that phone call!!!!!

Still-in-Shock
03-31-2014, 07:19 PM
I hope you get the job!