PDA

View Full Version : Update #5: Rent The Runway?s RTR Pro? anyone have experience?

AnnieW625
04-01-2014, 12:41 PM
So I think I will be needing to rent at least two dresses from them this year, one a semi formal for my grandma's 85th birthday in May (Grandma wants the men in our family, including DH, my brother and two male cousins in our family in a bow tie tux....long story short, my grandma had a big 60th anniversary party planned and my grandpa ended up getting really sick and dying so she is now throwing a huge party for herself as she is turning 85), and the second and maybe a third and fourth will be for: a charity event with a "blue" theme so dress will be some shade of blue, then maybe for a bridal shower for my future SIL, and then maybe even my brother's wedding in October.

I have never used Rent the Runway, but since I am not at my ideal weight and buying even a LBD now that I hope will not fit in a year doesn't seem like a smart choice, plus I already have one from my ideal weight that I haven't worn since DD1 was about 2 yrs. old.

RTR Pro is $29.95 per year and it includes a voucher for a $50 rental in your birthday month (I think that is how I read it), free shipping, free returns and insurance. Each dress without RTR Pro is $14.95 ($9.95 shipping, and $5 insurance).

Also what happens if I end up hating what I have ordered? Do I get a refund? I am in between sizes too so that makes it hard. I wear in 12 or 14 in pants and dresses, but I am a classic pear, smaller on top (barely a 36B or 38B), but I have a larger rear end post kids, plus largish thighs and hips (had them pre kids, but had zero butt pre kids), but some Maggy London, and Adriana Papell dresses I tried on this past fall for the holidays were a 16 and they fit pretty well so I am concerned about size esp. since designer stuff tends to run large IME. I don't think I'd have enough up top to fill out a true 14W plus size dress either. I wish I could try them on like a guy can try on a tux rental at The Mens' Wearhouse. Anyone know of a store like that in LA? If I knew the stuff RTR rented was available at Neimans, Nordstroms, Saks, or Bloomingdales I could try the styles on in a heart beat and get a size idea, but it would be so hard to track down each single dress I want to try so I have to go based on style, the photo reviews and hope for the best.

barkley1
04-01-2014, 01:26 PM
I have rented a ton from them, and have rtr pro. Love it. We have something about 1/month for dh's work to go to, galas, charity things, etc, that are a lot of the same people and buying new dresses for each one isn't doable. Well, it is, but they would be cheap and look it....not something I want to do.

You get a free backup size with each order. Also, you can add a second style of dress for pretty cheap (one size only though). So that gives you three dresses to choose from, hopefully one will fit. But if they don't, you just stuff them all in the included bag and drop in a UPS box. So easy, and you get a credit for everything, minus shipping, I think. With rtr pro, it doesn't matter bc you didn't pay shipping anyway. They are really easy to work with; I have returned 3 dresses in a row for not fitting or the event got cancelled, etc and they've never said a word. The stylists are good at giving fit advice via chat, and lately, they've added quite a few dresses that are only $35!! I highly recommend!

essnce629
04-01-2014, 02:25 PM
You get a free backup size with each order. Also, you can add a second style of dress for pretty cheap (one size only though). So that gives you three dresses to choose from, hopefully one will fit. But if they don't, you just stuff them all in the included bag and drop in a UPS box. So easy, and you get a credit for everything, minus shipping, I think.

Yes to this! I've used them 3 times so far (1 wedding and 2 DH work parties) and have had great experiences. I always get a second size and often a 2nd style dress as well. I've never had all 3 not fit. I usually read all the reviews and look at the pictures of the people who are the same size as me (reviewers state their height and weight) to figure out if I should order a smaller or bigger size for my second size.

Highly recommended! I don't have Pro since I only order 1-2 times a year from them.

westwoodmom04
04-02-2014, 05:39 PM
I've only used them once so far, but I did purchase RTR pro, it seems like a no-brainer since it is only slightly more than shipping one time, and includes a free rental. I was very happy with the dress I rented -- I though the user reviews and more importantly, pictures of real people in the dresses, helped me determine which would work best for me.

AnnieW625
05-20-2014, 05:23 PM
I rented this dress from them and I loved it, plus I got a bunch of compliments on it:
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/21/ruvaguzy.jpg
It was a Monique Lhullier (This Is It) dress and it was $75. I ordered it in 2 sizes and ended up with the larger size because the bodice on the smaller size was too small, otherwise the dress fit fine in the smaller size. Not sure if I would rent the dress again or if I did I might order the regular length and not the long. The only downsides for me were that the dress was a lot of dress so I don't know if I would rec. renting it for an event in the summer.

I ended up deciding to do the Rent The Runway Pro, and am already contemplating another rental for an event in June (and forgot about the $50 credit to be used during my birthday month so that ups my budget a bit, and also hope that if that dress works out I'll have a dress for my brother's wedding in October!)

georgiegirl
05-20-2014, 06:53 PM
You look great Annie! Thanks for the report. I might try it for holiday party season.

boolady
05-20-2014, 08:13 PM
You look beautiful, Annie!

elbenn
05-20-2014, 08:31 PM
You look great! That dress is very pretty!

LD92599
05-20-2014, 09:57 PM
I might try this for a cruise in August!

AnnieW625
05-21-2014, 11:28 AM
I might try this for a cruise in August!

You have to be able to drop the dress off at UPS the day after your event. It would be awesome for a four day cruise as long as you went with an 8 day rental.

Mopey
05-21-2014, 12:04 PM
What a fab idea! And YOU look fab Annie!! :) One of my best girls is getting married in October and this could be so fantastic for the occasion! I certainly do not need to buy another dress!

Thanks!!

echoesofspring
05-21-2014, 01:28 PM
Beautiful, Annie!

MamaMolly
05-21-2014, 10:24 PM
So pretty! This is the neatest thing!