PDA

View Full Version : Bounty commercial puts me on edge

kristenk
04-02-2014, 06:38 PM
Has anyone else seen this Bounty commercial? Older brother is blowing bubbles with a straw in some beverage to the delight of a toddler who says "again, again." Beverage is running over the top of the glass and then running OFF THE TABLE and dripping down the side. Mom's voice says "When we're having this much fun, why quit?" as she encourages the bubble blowing.

It's like fingers on a chalkboard to me! First, the beverage is brown like chocolate milk, but it doesn't really look like chocolate milk. It makes me think of what would happen if you mix chocolate milk powder/liquid with water. Blech. Second, REALLY? You really want to encourage your kids to blow bubbles in their drink and laugh when it runs off the edge of the table? Maybe I'm just too uptight (which might be why I'm here posting this!) but that just doesn't seem like a great way to have fun.

That will teach me to put off replacing the batteries in the remote!

123LuckyMom
04-02-2014, 06:50 PM
Has anyone else seen this Bounty commercial? Older brother is blowing bubbles with a straw in some beverage to the delight of a toddler who says "again, again." Beverage is running over the top of the glass and then running OFF THE TABLE and dripping down the side. Mom's voice says "When we're having this much fun, why quit?" as she encourages the bubble blowing.

It's like fingers on a chalkboard to me! First, the beverage is brown like chocolate milk, but it doesn't really look like chocolate milk. It makes me think of what would happen if you mix chocolate milk powder/liquid with water. Blech. Second, REALLY? You really want to encourage your kids to blow bubbles in their drink and laugh when it runs off the edge of the table? Maybe I'm just too uptight (which might be why I'm here posting this!) but that just doesn't seem like a great way to have fun.

That will teach me to put off replacing the batteries in the remote!

I hate it, too. If my kids ever saw that commercial, I'd have a conniption fit! BTW I thought the drink was some sort of juice, but I wasn't really watching.

doberbrat
04-02-2014, 09:13 PM
I havent seen that one but I get it.... I feel the same way about the new Method commercial - where they drop the fancy meal and then spray method to clean up the mess and then put the food back on the tray and serve it to the guests.

flashy09
04-02-2014, 09:45 PM
Lol, I just watched it. They actually say what the drink is in fine print in case you want to recreate it at home - 12 ml "chocolate drink", 1/4 tsp chocolate syrup. When it bubbles over the table that is pretty gross and I consider myself relaxed when it comes to keeping DD quiet and happy. Seriously, what mother is going to say "again!" to that! Weird commercial.

Here it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrwSzKXHMjw

lizzywednesday
04-03-2014, 09:01 AM
It must be YooHoo, then.

I loved that stuff as a kid, but won't touch it as an adult.

I'm a pig but your description of this is making me really thankful that I don't watch TV with a lot of commercials anymore.

ETA: I just watched it. Yes, it's effectively YooHoo:

http://www.drpeppersnapplegroup.com/brands/yoo-hoo/

buddyleebaby
04-03-2014, 09:41 AM
Wth? Looks more like a commercial for Ativan.

Twoboos
04-03-2014, 09:59 AM
Wth? Looks more like a commercial for Ativan.

:yeahthat: W-O-W, and then she encourages the toddler to do it, too??? After they show her cleaning up the mess on the floor???

If I didn't "stop" my kids from having "fun" my house would be permanently destroyed.

MMMommy
04-03-2014, 11:19 AM
I was just thinking this when I saw the commercial last week! This commercial totally bugged me! Here these kids are making a mess, and the mom is just smiling approvingly. And then she goes and encourages the younger brother to continue the messy drink blowing? Seriously? I was shaking my head in annoyance with this commercial.

123LuckyMom
04-03-2014, 11:42 AM
AND, why is she cleaning it up. Make the kid clean it!!!

mikeys_mom
04-03-2014, 11:44 AM
I can't stand that commercial! The first time I saw it, I turned to DH and said - that is so ridiculous! What mother would find that amusing?!?! And to then encourage the younger son to do it. Seriously. Makes no sense to me. I'm far from one to keep my house perfectly clean but I have my limits with kids playing with food like that.

lkoala
04-03-2014, 11:54 AM
Have to wonder if the creators of the commercial have kids. I don't know any parent that would encourage that behavior.

kristenk
04-03-2014, 12:16 PM
I'm so glad people understand my issues with the commercial! One more thing to add. I don't care how absorbent a paper towel is, if you just wipe up a sugary drink there's going to be a sticky residue. I really want to see something that shows "after the commercial" where Mom is trying to clean the stickiness from the crevices of the table legs and you see the pile of paper towels she's gone through to clean up the "fun" everyone was having!

Gena
04-03-2014, 12:42 PM
I know this is the BP, but just to respond to this:

I don't know any parent that would encourage that behavior.

A lot of SLPs encourage this activity for kids with oral motor difficulties. DS's SLPs (through EI and private) certainly did. And sometimes little kids need an older child to demonstrate and make it fun (my older niece was happy to oblige). A lot of therapy activities are messy, some are really messy.

So in my mind, this commercial shows a family with a little one in therapy and a big brother helping with an assigned exercise. The little one manages to get it at the end, and Mom is so happy and proud.

Hate the commercial if you want. Complain about it if you want. But please try not to attack parents who need to parent a different way.

YouAreTheFocus
04-03-2014, 01:55 PM
Guess I'm alone on this one--I find that commercial totally adorable! I think the little voice saying "again, again!" is so cute. I just saw it as a nice sibling moment.

kristenk
04-03-2014, 02:37 PM
Guess I'm alone on this one--I find that commercial totally adorable! I think the little voice saying "again, again!" is so cute. I just saw it as a nice sibling moment.

You're probably not alone. I think I'm more likely to get people who agree with me since this is posted in the b!tching post. :)

lkoala
04-03-2014, 02:46 PM
I know this is the BP, but just to respond to this:

A lot of SLPs encourage this activity for kids with oral motor difficulties. DS's SLPs (through EI and private) certainly did. And sometimes little kids need an older child to demonstrate and make it fun (my older niece was happy to oblige). A lot of therapy activities are messy, some are really messy.

So in my mind, this commercial shows a family with a little one in therapy and a big brother helping with an assigned exercise. The little one manages to get it at the end, and Mom is so happy and proud.

Hate the commercial if you want. Complain about it if you want. But please try not to attack parents who need to parent a different way.

Well I learn something every day. I did not know this. Thanks for the information, it does put it in another light.

Ceepa
04-03-2014, 05:19 PM
Sugary, dairy liquids running freely off the table just make me think about ants.