PDA

View Full Version : Passing down a crib and mattress? Updated info in OP

ang79
04-03-2014, 04:17 PM
DH thinks I'm paranoid, so I want to see what others think :)

BIL is having his first baby this summer and they said they will take any baby stuff we have that we want to get rid of. They are on a tight budget, paying back large school loans. And I highly doubt they are the type to research safety standards and baby gear like I am. Our crib and mattress were gifts from DH's side of the family and he wants to pass both to his brother. We have a drop side crib and mattress that was used by both girls while they were in the crib (we never did toddler beds, just went straight to twin beds when they were old enough). So the set is almost 8 years old. The crib is a mid-level brand that we bought from a boutique furniture store, not from a warehouse type place. I researched a lot and it was a recommendation in the Baby Bargains book (can't think of the brand off the top of my head). It has not been recalled to my knowledge and it has the metal interior hardware on the drop railing, not the plastic hardware that was breaking and causing all the recalls a few years back. We actually had DD2 sleeping in it when they started all the bad press about drop side cribs, but because there was no recall on it, we checked it frequently and kept using it. I would have no qualms about using it again if we had another baby, so I told them they can have the crib, but I'm hesitant to pass on the mattress (DH thinks its fine). It has been stored in our house, but on the floor (underneath one of the twin beds). It has the plastic/vinyl coating on it that most crib mattresses that I've seen have. My girls have slept on it a few times when they want to sleep together in the same room. They are thin and the oldest weighs around 46 lbs. I think. I've just always heard you shouldn't buy used mattresses and I honestly don't know if its due to possible germs, or not being as firm as a new one or what. But since this one is 8 years old and has been slept on buy older kids (always with a sheet or sleeping bag), I'm hesitant to pass it on. What do you think? I'm supposed to be taking all baby stuff to give to BIL and wife to MIL's this weekend to store, as we're trying to declutter to sell our house.

Also, input on ages to use a Maclaren Volo stroller and Cosco Scenera car seat? I thought I remembered that the Volo is only for babies 6+ mos., but I remember the straps not fitting my youngest daughter well until she was older than 1 yr. And the Scenera is an OK seat for an infant rearfacing? I told them they could have it as a spare and that it is good for air travel, but I have a sneaking suspicion they may try to use it as their full time seat because it is free. It has an exp. date of 2015 stamped on the bottom, does that mean Dec. 2015? All my other seats have been Graco and they are always a Dec. exp. I think.

Updated info! Finally had time to pull out the crib manual and mattress to take a closer look. The crib is a Childcraft Legacy single dropside crib w/ drawer, model 29001 or 29011 (actual crib is in attic so haven't checked the exact model). It has a hidden hardware system on the drop rail and I am pretty certain it is metal hardware. I have all the parts and owners manual with directions. It is currently unassembled in my attic, but before that it was assembled in one of the bedrooms for about 5 years til we moved DD2 to a twin bed. Of course Childcraft had already gone out of business when the recalls started in 2010 (while DD2 was still using it), so no replacement parts were ever issued. I googled for Childcraft Legacy recalls and neither of these models are part of the recalls that I found.

The mattress is a Sealy Natural Rest with a 20 year limited warranty. It has 204 heat tempered innerspring coils, all around heavy gauge steel border rods, non-allergenic layer, and vinyl binding to resist mildew, moisture, etc. It has always been stored in one of the main floor bedrooms, either in the crib or underneath one of the twin beds on a carpeted floor. It has a bit of give when I press down on it, but it bounces right back.

lil_acorn
04-03-2014, 04:23 PM
I've used my mattress for 3 kids and would have no problem re-using again or handing down to family. You could always ask if they want it?

ang79
04-03-2014, 04:29 PM
I've used my mattress for 3 kids and would have no problem re-using again or handing down to family. You could always ask if they want it?

They said they will take anything we are getting rid of. I said I would probably recommend getting a new mattress, but I think they would be OK with the used one as well. I know most people aren't as picky as me! I accepted and bought lots of used baby gear when DD1 was born, but I checked for recalls on everything (and had to get replacement parts for many things). I insisted that we get a new crib, mattress, and carseat though, especially as I knew we'd have more than one kid to use them with.

AngB
04-03-2014, 04:31 PM
Honestly I'd trash the mattress. I *think* used mattresses are considered a SIDS risk, (because they get less firm over time and with use), plus it being 8 yrs old..

I would be ok about the crib and probably "misplace" the Scenera if you think they'd try to use it for a newborn. It's an ok rf sest but I don't think it fits newborns well.

indigo99
04-03-2014, 09:34 PM
I wouldn't reuse the mattress either. It depends on the actual mattress as to how safe/good it still is though. DS1 has been using his for four years, and it's still great. We got a new one with DS2, and it's already been replaced once due to sagging in the middle.

JBaxter
04-03-2014, 09:41 PM
I'd get a new mattress too. After 8 yrs its time. The crib and anything else I'd load them up and get it out of your house.

azzeps
04-03-2014, 11:36 PM
If you think the mattress is in good shape, I'd pass it along. I would use a hand me down mattress if I couldn't afford a new one and one in good shape was offered by a family member.

HannaAddict
04-04-2014, 03:35 AM
I would not pass down a drop side crib. We had a Ragazzi crib and it worked great until it just failed. Baby (number 2) slept in pack n play until we got the new hardware. When we had our fhird, took lovely crib (high quality and highly rated by baby bargains book when new) to the dump and bought a Land of Nod non-drop side. If anything happened to someone else's baby because I passed on baby gear that we now know can be dangerous, I couldn't live with myself. Especially if the parents were not into research and I knew about the new standards. I'd think about gifting them an Ikea crib or similar that meets new standards - if you can afford it. If you want to give them the crib, at least do a new mattress for their new baby. I wouldn't give an old mattress to friends or family even if money was tight for them. But I wouldn't gift your crib, sadly.

kdeunc
04-04-2014, 08:34 AM
I know that my comfort levels are way different than a lot on this board but I would give them both the crib and mattress and let them decide what to do. You could certainly share the info. that they might want a new mattress. I would also give them the car seat and stroller. If it makes you feel better share your research/recommendations too. :)

Katigre
04-04-2014, 09:40 AM
I would not pass on a drop side crib or an 8 year old mattress. I also wouldn't pass on the Scenara bc it has just a year left and it's not an easy seat to use well rear facing.

The volo is an excellent stroller for babies 9 mos and up so I'd give them that, letting them know it went work for a little one.

Honestly, if they're on a tight budget their best bets are a pack n play plus infant cat seat, both if which you can get for under $100 each.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

sarahsthreads
04-04-2014, 10:05 AM
Well, we're using DD1's drop-side Pali crib and mattress for the third time with DS. DD1 turned 9 just a couple of months after DS was born, so our crib and mattress are as old as yours. I'm comfortable with it for my own baby.

The mattress is as rock-hard as it was when we bought it. Seriously, I've considered letting the girls jump on it for a bit to try to soften it up because DS will. not. sleep in his crib for any length of time. I think it's because my bed is so much softer and cozier. It's waterproof and we've always used a waterproof mattress pad on top of it anyway. We stored it in the (dry) basement between kids, wrapped in plastic - new ones from the store would be kept in similar conditions in a warehouse. :shrug:

As far as the actual crib, we frequently check the hardware. It's still rock solid, but if it ever felt rickety I'd fix the other side in a heartbeat - it's just a matter of putting two bolts in holes that are already there. When DS is a bit bigger and we mainly put him down awake I'm going to have DH fix both sides and get a small step stool for me to use to put the baby down if he's sleeping just because DS is *so* strong and so much more physical than my girls were that if any kid was going to break it (or somehow manage to get it open from inside the crib) I think it would be him! (He just turned 7 months old and already pulls to stand with the crib mattress at the lowest position. I am in so much trouble.)

If one of my siblings wanted the crib when we're done with it I'd pass it down, but I'd share the information about them being banned for sale and suggest (since they're all taller than me and don't really need a drop side) that they fix both sides and just use it is a non drop side crib. I'd also let them decide about the mattress, again, just sharing that there is some research that says that you should not reuse mattresses and that they might want to look into it before deciding.

Our Maclaren (not Volo...Triumph I think?) also didn't/doesn't fit my 6 month old babies very well. I'd say 1+ years on that one.

Sarah :)

ang79
04-04-2014, 02:09 PM
Updated with some more info on the crib and mattress. We are also giving them a Graco pack and play w/ bassinet top, it was given to us when DD1 was born and had been very gently used by one of DH's co-workers for a few years, not sure exactly how old it is, but I was using it for the kids I was baby-sitting and it is still in really good condition.

JBaxter
04-04-2014, 02:26 PM
I would give it all to them Let them chose. All 4 of mine were in a drop side crib and I have no issues using a sturdy one. I would wipe down the mattress with lysol or some type of disinfectant then with water and maybe put it in the sun for the afternoon. Let them spend their $$ on a good car seat. I LOVE my Volo stroller for bigger kids Jack is 5 and I still use it at the mall ( I give him a iPad and I can shop for hours!!)

basil
04-04-2014, 02:31 PM
I'd probably gift them an Ikea crib and new mattress as a shower gift or something, even though I agree the risks associated with your things are probably extraordinarily low.

I would feel comfortable giving the carseat and the stroller ordinarily and let them figure out where to store them while til the baby grows into it, but you seem to think they won't use them correctly...which is a bigger problem than the above.

ang79
04-04-2014, 02:33 PM
I would give it all to them Let them chose. All 4 of mine were in a drop side crib and I have no issues using a sturdy one. I would wipe down the mattress with lysol or some type of disinfectant then with water and maybe put it in the sun for the afternoon. Let them spend their $$ on a good car seat. I LOVE my Volo stroller for bigger kids Jack is 5 and I still use it at the mall ( I give him a iPad and I can shop for hours!!)

My youngest is 5.5 yrs., I bet she'd still fit in the Volo! Maybe I should keep it so I can take her shopping w/ me without complaints :) I actually held onto it for zoo trips but after dragging it to the zoo one year and neither girl riding in it, I then used it for the little boy I used to baby-sit. Now that I no longer need all this baby stuff for him, I'm ready to let it go.