PDA

View Full Version : Ds2- perforated ear drum- mini update

SnuggleBuggles
04-03-2014, 08:52 PM
Mini update- we started Augmentin on Saturday and yesterday his ear started hurting even more. He has an appointment with the ENT tomorrow. I'll update if anything interesting pops up then.

Ds2 (6yo) had an ear infection maybe 4 weeks ago and we treated it with antibiotics (he also had strep throat at the same time). He was on amoxacylin. This Monday he woke up screaming at 2am with pain from his ear. No fever, no fluid. We took him in the next morning and the Dr. said there was evidence that it perforated but probably a week or 2 prior based on the scab. Still some fluid in his ear. They gave us a prescription for Augmentin to give sometime in the next 2 weeks if we feel like he needs it (fever...).

It still hurts but he hasn't woken up crying (though, I think we have give him ibuprofen every night at bedtime). We forgot to give it before school today and he said it hurt a bunch.

His hearing is compromised too. Humming, muffled, reduced.

Dr. wants to check in 6 weeks but feels like it will just heal. That plan has me a bit nervous. I just feel bad for the poor kid to be in pain and I worry about long term hearing concerns.

Any thoughts?

ArizonaGirl
04-03-2014, 10:40 PM
Did they give you any antibiotic drops for the ear.

I feel like they usually do topical (drops in the ear) antibiotics and oral antibiotics for perforations due to the increased risk of infection.

At this point I think maybe he needs to be seen by an ENT.

Sorry, :hug:

Staraglimmer
04-03-2014, 10:43 PM
I would take him to an ENT. Hearing is not something that I would mess with. I think the drops would help. DD1 begs for them because they really help her.

-Stephanie-
mommy to DD1 4/08 &DD2 6/12

SnuggleBuggles
04-03-2014, 10:48 PM
We do have some numbing drops but no antibiotic drops.

Hmmm, I wonder about an ENT. Thanks.

HannaAddict
04-04-2014, 03:42 AM
I would give him the antibiotics. He's in pain, it hurts as it is probably
Infected. Infection can be bad and present even without a fever. Fever is just one indicator. Pain is also an indicator. Ear infections are tricky, especially since he had strep too. If it was an inner ear infection he needs antibiotics at this point. Strep this year is hard to wipe out too. Antibiotic ear drops are fine for external ear infections, but a perforated ear drum and inner ear infection - fill the prescription. I'd fill it asap. And see the doctor again and/or ENT. But fill and take the prescription. It isn't like you are just using them for no reason. Hope he feels better. Poor guy, it is the worst. From personal experience as well as my kids. Had a horrible ear infection when pregnant and it made me cry and family doctor was wrong so self referred in tears to an ENT who had seen my son. I didn't have a fever but had horrific infection. It hurt!

legaleagle
04-04-2014, 11:18 AM
I would give him the antibiotics. He's in pain, it hurts as it is probably
Infected. Infection can be bad and present even without a fever. Fever is just one indicator. Pain is also an indicator. Ear infections are tricky, especially since he had strep too. If it was an inner ear infection he needs antibiotics at this point. Strep this year is hard to wipe out too. Antibiotic ear drops are fine for external ear infections, but a perforated ear drum and inner ear infection - fill the prescription. I'd fill it asap. And see the doctor again and/or ENT. But fill and take the prescription. It isn't like you are just using them for no reason. Hope he feels better. Poor guy, it is the worst. From personal experience as well as my kids. Had a horrible ear infection when pregnant and it made me cry and family doctor was wrong so self referred in tears to an ENT who had seen my son. I didn't have a fever but had horrific infection. It hurt!

Agreed, I would give them ASAP, esp since it was likely strep based.

SnuggleBuggles
04-04-2014, 11:25 AM
Getting it filled now. We will make the ENT call on Monday if there is no improvement. Thanks!

SnuggleBuggles
04-09-2014, 10:11 AM
mini update