PDA

View Full Version : notary

Sweetum
04-04-2014, 12:29 AM
anyone here a notary? I am wondering if it is worthwhile becoming one and how difficult it is to become one. thanks.

kaitlyns.mom
04-04-2014, 01:44 AM
I was one for several years, and only stopped when I knew I wasn't going back to work for a while. I think it's worth it if your employer is paying for it. If you are hoping to become a self-employed notary, like a mobile notary, I would look into the costs more closely. At least when I was working they paid for my commission, the test, insurance, bond, etc.

kaitlyns.mom
04-04-2014, 01:45 AM
Oh and I recall the test being pretty simple. You take it immediately after taking the course, so it's all fresh in your mind.

Sweetum
04-04-2014, 01:50 AM
perhaps I am not looking at the right resources - how expense is it to become one? I'm in CA.
ETA: also, yes, I mean this as self employment. Like a side gig.

kaitlyns.mom
04-04-2014, 01:54 AM
perhaps I am not looking at the right resources - how expense is it to become one? I'm in CA.

I'm guessing a few hundred dollars when all is said and done? You'll need the class, the fingerprinting (not sure if that's included with the class), the book/stamp/inkpad, errors & omissions insurance and a bond...

I would look here: http://nationalnotary.org/become_a_notary/become_a_california_notary.html

It's not a money-maker on its own. You can only charge a maximum of $10 per signature you notarize. Mobile notaries can earn more if they charge for their travel expenses.

HannaAddict
04-04-2014, 03:26 AM
No class in our state. Many lawyers are notaries too just to make it easier for affidavits etc. if you do it as a business you will need insurance. There is actually a decent amount of fraud and notaries get sued for their bond.

mjs64
04-04-2014, 03:31 PM
It's a couple hundred dollars for the class and the testing fees. The test is taken immediately following the class. Check if your local community college offers the class--many do.

hellokitty
04-04-2014, 03:38 PM
You can get documents notarized for free if you belong to a bank. So, no. I do not consider it a good way to make extra money. Sorry.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

babyonway
04-04-2014, 04:06 PM
You can get documents notarized for free if you belong to a bank. So, no. I do not consider it a good way to make extra money. Sorry.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

:yeahthat: and every place that I have worked had a number of notaries that employees could use for personal reasons (at no cost)

BunnyBee
04-04-2014, 04:42 PM
I used to be when DH and I started a law firm before we had assistants. I know there wasn't a test then and don't think there is now. I don't remember how much, but it should be simple to google the requirements for your state.

The only time I've heard of someone making money off of being a notary was looong ago during a boom in home refis. My mom's best friend used to work for this attorney who did closings at the client's house in the evenings or on weekends. She and my mom were legal secretaries. I think he paid her $75 per closing? Not entirely sure it was legit. She has horrible taste in men and bosses! My mom declined the extra work because he was creepy. Anyway, it had to have been more than 10 years ago.