PDA

View Full Version : S/o large SUV - 4 kids

Piglet
04-04-2014, 08:20 AM
We are also contemplating a new vehicle, but with 4 kids, no dogs ;)

We currently have a 2006 Toyota Sienna as our primary people mover. It is ugly and beat up looking, but still solid and functional. Our 2nd car is a fully loaded 2010 Nissan Maxima that we bought used a few years back as a bit of an antidote to the beat up minivan. It is such a nice treat to drive! The catch is that I'm now on mat leave for the year and driving the minivan and DH has the Maxima... And he hates it!? He can't find a comfortable driving position and is having back problems! It may be the seat (which I find SOOO comfortable and supportive) doesn't suit him, or his angle of getting in and out of a low sedan is the culprit, but right after we bought the Maxima he completely screwed up his back a few years ago and we never put 2 and 2 together.

DH is begging to drive the van, lol! I would be open to trading in the Maxima to get something that will fit all 6 of us, but I also know that we do okay with a minivan for the kids and something smaller for the other times. DH suggested a larger SUV, which kind of appeals to me as well, from a road trip perspective - we have totally exceeded the van's trunk capacity with all 3 rows in use and we go tent camping every summer.

So all this to say, which vehicles would be good for a family of 6, with reasonable fuel economy (yeah, I'm dreaming), good trunk space with all the rows in use, easy to get in and out of for the younger kids, etc. Truthfully, I'd even consider a 2nd minivan, but won't get the trunk space and We'd be officially the most uncool family ever! ;)

kdeunc
04-04-2014, 08:26 AM
Our family of 5 (plus two 100lb dogs) have a Suburban. We love it. Gas mileage isn't spectacular but it has plenty of room and 4-wheel drive which we needed. We have had 3 and a Tahoe during our marriage and we have not had any issues with any of them.

schrocat
04-04-2014, 08:53 AM
We have a new Honda Pilot which we bought after the birth of our 4th child. It seats 8 so we have 2 spare seats if we have visitors and we've had pretty decent storage when we're driving just the 6 of us. The little kids (5 and 3) have a little bit of trouble climbing up on their own into the SUV but on the whole we're happy with it. Mileage has been surprisingly decent. DH only has to fill a full tank of gas once a week.

BunnyBee
04-04-2014, 09:02 AM
We have an Odyssey and a Pilot. The Odyssey holds way more stuff and people than the Pilot. The 3rd row on a Pilot is small and would be uncomfortable on a trip IMO unless you have very very short legs. It's pretty bouncy back there too. If you go up in size to the Denali/Yukon/Tahoe, the 3rd row is more generous (and headroom), but the storage space is laughable. You'd need an XL or Suburban size, which then is a bus to drive. I much prefer driving the Odyssey!

smilequeen
04-04-2014, 10:05 AM
IME if you want to fit a lot of people AND stuff, a minivan or a huge SUV are the only options. However, if you use a roof carrier, you have more options. We don't do long drives and get by with 3 kids and a big Infiniti SUV, but I'd need a Suburban size car if we had another kid or needed to fit more stuff. I've had a minivan and while it wasn't my thing, I would say it's the most practical car for the situation.

hellokitty
04-04-2014, 10:54 AM
Get an odysessy. Personally, I like them better than the sienna and ita with what smile queen said above.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Piglet
04-04-2014, 03:34 PM
We have an Odyssey and a Pilot. The Odyssey holds way more stuff and people than the Pilot. The 3rd row on a Pilot is small and would be uncomfortable on a trip IMO unless you have very very short legs. It's pretty bouncy back there too. If you go up in size to the Denali/Yukon/Tahoe, the 3rd row is more generous (and headroom), but the storage space is laughable. You'd need an XL or Suburban size, which then is a bus to drive. I much prefer driving the Odyssey!

Wow! Good to know. The problem we find is that the Odys around here keep their value way too well, so buying used is still crazy expensive. The SUV market is a bit softer!? I'll have to reconsider the option of a second minivan. We do love our Sienna (to death, lol).