PDA

View Full Version : Another school ? - would you say anything

kristenk
04-04-2014, 02:09 PM
DD (4th grade) had standardized testing on Tuesday and Wednesday this past week. The teachers really emphasized getting enough sleep, eating a good breakfast, etc. so that the kids could test their best. They didn't give any homework on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday, so the kids wouldn't have anything else to really worry about.

When DD came out of the school on Tuesday (first day of testing), she seemed upset. She said that her teacher said that she didn't do her best and didn't spend enough time. DD then said that her teacher must have looked at the test so DD must not have done well. She also said that she had to stay in for recess to work on a social studies project that her teacher said needed more info. I tried to get more detail, but DD was a bit into feeling sorry for herself (whether rightly or not) and it was hard to get info. She finally said that the teacher said to the class that she thought that not everyone did their best and spent enough time, but was looking right at DD when she said it. (Not sure if I believe that the comment was as directed at DD as DD seemed to think.) I do believe that the teacher said something directly to DD about spending more time on the test, but from what DD said, several kids finished before she did. I know that she has a tendency to rush through things and I told DD that morning to take her time.

Anyway, my main concern is with having to stay in at recess to do work. Granted, DD got to go out for after lunch recess, but had to stay in for the later recess. She also didn't finish the project during the time she stayed in so she knew that she'd have to stay in for recess on the second testing day as well. I don't disagree that DD should have to spend more time on the project if it's not up to par. My problem is that she had to do it on a testing day when the teachers had really been emphasizing no homework, etc. It just seems as if waiting until the testing was over would be better.

So, should I say something to the teacher about it? I'm happy to have DD stay after school if she needs to or stay in from recess to work on something if she knows that's going to happen if she doesn't finish something. I'm not happy with DD feeling blindsided on a testing day when she was already feeling like she did a cr@ppy job on the test. She just seemed so beaten down when she came out of the school. :(

hillview
04-04-2014, 02:25 PM
I'd likely email the teacher to check in as DD seemed to have a bad day. And let the teacher fill in the blanks vs accusing her of anything. After you get her take I might or might not ask about the recess.

SnuggleBuggles
04-04-2014, 02:28 PM
An hour ago, I emailed ds2's teachers to ask them to help come up with a plan to avoid ds2 missing recess to finish work. :)

I like pp's idea of leaving it more open and see if she has insight.

kristenk
04-04-2014, 02:29 PM
Is it too late to email about a bad day on Tuesday, though?

SnuggleBuggles
04-04-2014, 02:47 PM
No, I think it is still worth it.

I just heard back from ds2's teachers and they were totally cool sending it home to finish. Ugh...

ray7694
04-04-2014, 05:32 PM
Our kids only stay in for recess when they don't turn in homework. I would have an issue if she didn't have other time to work on it besides recess.

hillview
04-04-2014, 07:16 PM
I don't think it is too late.

jacksmomtobe
04-04-2014, 09:42 PM
A bit off the topic but our state recently had standardized testing and the teachers are not supposed to look at the kids' answers but maybe she is commenting because she thought your dd finished too quickly not that she actually looked at her test. Regardless it does seem a bit inappropriate that she commenting on dd's performance on the testc. Here they are supposed to be a measure of the school and how kids are performing but you are not encouraged to share the results with your child. Kids in 4th grade shouldn't be focusing on how they are doing on these type of tests. They are much too young for that.

It seems that there was a better time for the teacher to have your dd put more time into her project than having her miss a recess on a testing day where kids truly need that break. Honestly I don't think having kid miss recess is a good idea any day. Luckily our Principal is a proponent of recess. Having a break to Move around helps kids do their work better. I'm not sure of the best way to approach this whether you get specific about the testing day or just go the route if saying that dd has mentioned having to miss recess on occasion because she has ended up having to put more time in for projects and how you can you work on helping dd not to rush.