PDA

View Full Version : salty taste in mouth for days?

hillview
04-04-2014, 09:03 PM
I've had a salty taste in my mouth for days now. Coffee, tea, water, food all tastes super salty. Any ideas why?? It makes everything gross especially coffee and tea. It isn't my water (it was coffee when I was traveling too). Thanks!

hillview
04-05-2014, 07:14 PM
bump? anyone?

misshollygolightly
04-05-2014, 07:34 PM
The only thing I thought of was perhaps something in your mouth is bleeding? That seems unlikely, but...

onyx8
04-05-2014, 07:34 PM
Could you be pregnant? One of my symptoms was a salty/metallic taste in my mouth for several days. Or, are you on antibiotics? I have had that as a side effect before.

cvanbrunt
04-05-2014, 07:54 PM
Have you started a new medication? The migraine prophylactics change taste.

hillview
04-05-2014, 08:36 PM
no meds. not pg. sigh. SO annoying. Has ruined coffee for me.

IansMom
04-05-2014, 08:43 PM
This is a long shot but could it be thrush? I had some medical issues last year, they were relatively minor but my immune system was weakened. Apparently, thrush can develop in your mouth when this happens. Everything just tasted off. I went in for a sore throat and the doctor looked at my tongue and immediately diagnosed me with thrush. (The sore throat was caused by strep--it was a rough year.)

kara97210
04-05-2014, 09:02 PM
Not sure if this is related, but a couple of years ago my husband ate a salad with pine nuts and had a strange taste in his mouth for about a week. Everything tasted weirdly bitter to him, at one point that week I made lasagna and he couldn't taste it at all. Over the course of a week his taste buds recovered.

Evidently it's a common issue with certain types of pine nuts - here's an article on "pine nut mouth" http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellness/pine-mouth-pine-nuts-leave-bitter-taste-lingers/t/story?id=11097222&ref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

hillview
04-05-2014, 09:03 PM
This is a long shot but could it be thrush? I had some medical issues last year, they were relatively minor but my immune system was weakened. Apparently, thrush can develop in your mouth when this happens. Everything just tasted off. I went in for a sore throat and the doctor looked at my tongue and immediately diagnosed me with thrush. (The sore throat was caused by strep--it was a rough year.)

hummm ... DS1 just went to bed with a sore throat and we've had a range of random colds. Off to look up thrush

mackmama
04-06-2014, 02:01 AM
This article has some ideas http://www.bottomlinepublications.com/content/article/health-a-healing/help-my-mouth-tastes-salty-all-the-time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hillview
04-06-2014, 06:49 AM
ok so I am 42, could be menopause I guess but not clear. I do have a little post nasal drip (have had for over a month) but not massive and not coincident with salt taste. SIGH. Miss my taste buds.

Gracemom
04-06-2014, 09:26 AM
This happens to me when I get a sinus infection. If you have had post nasal drip, you might be getting one. My DD gets it too and she is so bummed that everything tastes gross.

ShanaMama
04-06-2014, 07:34 PM
ok so I am 42, could be menopause I guess but not clear. I do have a little post nasal drip (have had for over a month) but not massive and not coincident with salt taste. SIGH. Miss my taste buds.
Did you take anything for the post nasal drip? When I have that I take Mucinex. It works great but man, do I get an awful taste in my mouth!

hillview
04-06-2014, 07:38 PM
Did you take anything for the post nasal drip? When I have that I take Mucinex. It works great but man, do I get an awful taste in my mouth!

No I wish. It is a very mild post nasal drip. Sigh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk