PDA

View Full Version : Best way to support a life change from a distance?

jgenie
04-05-2014, 08:47 AM
One of my brothers is overweight and is working hard to change that due to health concerns. He has gone from a sedentary life style to adding workouts 5 days a week. He's lost 15 lbs but still has quite a bit to lose. Unfortunately, we don't live close to each other. What's the best way I can support him from a distance? He's a bachelor and a novice cook. He's open to learning to cook but works long hours and add in gym time and he gets home really late. I'm thinking healthy crock pot meals that he can throw in before work and have ready when he gets home??? He's fine with eating leftovers. Please hit me with any ideas you have - favorite crockpot, favorite cookbooks - crockpot and other, favorite healthy snacks, favorite easy healthy meals, etc.... TIA

KLD313
04-05-2014, 10:21 AM
The easier thing I can think of for a crock pot is to stick a whole chicken in it, season how you like no liquid and cook for 4hrs on high. He could pull the skin off and do almost anything a the meat and it tastes SO good.

Gracemom
04-06-2014, 09:49 AM
Maybe give him a gift certificate to one of those healthy meal delivery places? I am in the process of losing weight, and I only eat poorly when I'm super busy and don't have a healthy option available. Or maybe research restaurants and grocery stores around him that have healthy take-out options. If he is new to cooking, a basic cookbook like "How to Cook Everything" might be good. My DH literally has to look up how to make a baked potato!

twotimesblue
04-06-2014, 12:59 PM
A friend of mine bought her overweight (and depressed) sister a subscription to a service called Ferrigno Fit... it was started by Lou Ferrigno - the Hulk! - and is a kind of remote healthy eating and fitness plan tailored to the client. I believe they checked in with her all the time to motivate her and she ended up dropping several dress sizes. I have no idea how much it costs but my friend raves about it.

amatahrain
04-06-2014, 07:25 PM
I'd do a gift certificate to pickup a new outfit or workout clothes. I know he doesn't need a whole new wardrobe being down 15lbs but a small spruce up might give him some additional motivation.

Also, how about a session or two with a personal trainer?

I'd check to see if he's following a specific diet plan before you start buying cookbooks and stuff.

Jen841
04-06-2014, 08:38 PM
What about a subscription to something like Cooking Light or a cookbook. I was always motivated by new workout clothes and water bottles, I love good water bottles for workouts. You can't drink too much water!

lizzywednesday
04-07-2014, 11:39 AM
What about a subscription to something like Cooking Light or a cookbook. I was always motivated by new workout clothes and water bottles, I love good water bottles for workouts. You can't drink too much water!

I liked Cooking Light a lot more about 10 years ago, but I'm not the biggest fan lately.

If you are also trying to be more fit, maybe you could check in with each other to make a "date" for long-distance workouts?