PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with your older dc at home?

ray7694
04-05-2014, 12:01 PM
My son is 10 and we read together but I struggle to find stuff he likes to do besides video games. Any new ideas?

lalasmama
04-05-2014, 12:27 PM
Our family started playing games. Our top favorites right now are Disney Apples to Apples and Phase 10. DD and I watch YouTube videos to learn difficult Rainbow Loom bracelets to try.

wendmatt
04-05-2014, 01:13 PM
It's tough. We still read at night and the computer is next to her xbox so I sit on the computer and she plays and we chat or at least we are together. We do go on walks together, she either roller skates, scooters, or jump ropes and I walk or jog along with her. We watch Dr Who, Regular Show, or nature shows together and sometimes movies on the weekends. It does get harder as they get older and DD hates to shop so that's not one for us!

american_mama
04-05-2014, 03:15 PM
I cook with my 12 year old, which is turning into her doing more on her own. When we run errands (which I sometimes make her do with me just to get her out of the house), I try to give her some independent tasks:Get yogurt while I am in another part of the store, drop this item off here, ask this question there.) Biking and special walks (like along a trail) also work (not just walking around the neighborhood). My sister does a lot of crafts with her tween and teen daughters, which again has turned into her craftiest child doing more and more on her own.

She also is getting assigned more chores, although still very few. And if she wants something that I deem silly (usually apps or other small computer purchases), she has to do extra chores to earn the money, and it's turning into a pretty good deal for both of us, as her help is actually effective now that she's older.

squimp
04-05-2014, 03:32 PM
MyDD is 10 and we play board games, bake, build Legos, do crafty things, sew, make posters or other stuff for her room, watch a couple of TV shows. We dug up and planted a garden over spring break. We ride bikes and run together sometimes and we really should play soccer together more. Also lawn games now that it's getting warmer like horse shoes, bocce ball and stomp rockets. She skateboards around the driveway with her dad.

hellokitty
04-05-2014, 03:57 PM
I have a 4, 8 and 10 yr old boys. I agree, that as they get toward that tween age phase, they become so focused on video games and computers. I do not deny that mine are stereotypical in that way, BUT we do try to do things together too. My boys sometimes like to play board type of games togther. They love mancala, and love challenging DH and I to it. They are both showing more interest in cooking. Nothing hardcored, but to them, peeling a whole batch of carrots of sweet potatoes is something new and fun and I am happy for them to help me, while learning a new skill. We go swimming as a family, we like going to science centers and museums. The kids still do like to be read to. I read to my 4 yr old, but it's not uncommon for the 8 and 10 yr old to stop what they are doing to snuggle up and listen to me read, as well. So, don't write off the idea that since they are old enough to read, they don't need to be read to anymore. My boys are also in cub scouts and there are a lot of projects that they need to do that req the help of a parent, so that's a good activity too. There are also hobbies my boys like, like fishing, playing catch (with my dh), helping me give the dog a bath, etc.. They are still at that age where they are open to helping out with a chore that is still novel to them, so I take advantage of their eagerness.

Gracemom
04-05-2014, 04:41 PM
My 10 year old is fun to hang out with. I take her to plays or concerts. She loves outdoor things like zip lining and rock climbing that my younger son can't really do. She loves board games, and our favorite is Ticket to Ride. We go out to dinner for a little "date" night. She loves roller coasters so we go to amusement parks whenever we can.

ETA: oops, totally missed the "at home" part of the question! Sorry. She loves to bake with me, but unfortunately I'm not eating grains anymore so we haven't done that recently. She likes making jewelry, and has asked lately to plant seeds for flowers. She is getting into pop music and wants to show me the music videos she likes.

new_mommy25
04-05-2014, 04:51 PM
Watch movies/tv. DS and I have shows that are just us. Cook/bake. DS and DH play video games together. Play monopoly, battle ship, life, stratego, risk etc.

Meatball Mommie
04-05-2014, 04:56 PM
It's definitely challenging to come up with ideas. I rarely have just my oldest at home (who is 10.5) but things we like to do include:
take the dog for a walk
bake something
look at old pictures or memorabilia
do science experiments (either a kit or something interesting I find online)

My younger son is only 2 years younger and I do different things with him. He likes cooking way more and also gardening. He helps me prune trees/shrubs and work in the garden. DS1 doesn't like gardening much.

I also will play goalie for them (soccer) or play pass with a ball (soccer or lacrosse).

hillview
04-05-2014, 05:12 PM
board games (chess, monopoly), legos, crafts

chiisai
04-05-2014, 06:21 PM
Definitely board games. We have a ton, his current favorite is Castle Panic.

We do round robin stories aloud - you know, say a sentence or a scene, then pass the next to the other person...

Learn about something online, like, battleships, a country, whatever he has found some interest in....

He loves slow motion martial arts, or plain ol' wrestling and tickle fights.

Cooking, or rather, baking more often (seems to be less of a time crunch doing that).

Legos....

Gardening now