PDA

View Full Version : Pack N Play alternative for toddler

mackmama
04-05-2014, 08:08 PM
I need a travel crib for my 3yo. DC is 36" tall and weighs 34 pounds so has outgrown the pack n play. The pack n play says it has a weight limit of 30 pounds. DC still sleeps in a crib at home and is *not* ready for a big-bed so a cot or normal bed (even with rails or noodles) will not work. We want something off of the floor (due to nasty hotel carpets plus a particularly cold floor at grandma's) and something where DC can't just unzip something to get out (like the peapod). Can anyone recommend something? It looks like the Baby Bjorn crib and peapod are too small. I am feeling really stuck and unsure what to do since we have some travel coming up (where a traditional crib won't be available). Any ideas? Thanks!

curiousgeorge
04-05-2014, 08:23 PM
Look at the Joovy Room2. It's on amazon. Can't links from my phone but it is bigger and sturdier than a regar pack n play. My 38"' tall DS still fits fine.

Snow mom
04-05-2014, 08:29 PM
Peapod plus and twist ties.

mackmama
04-05-2014, 08:37 PM
Peapod plus and twist ties.

What are the twist ties for? We are also hoping to find something off of the floor. Grandma's guest room is in the underground basement which has a very cold floor.

Snow mom
04-05-2014, 08:50 PM
What are the twist ties for? We are also hoping to find something off of the floor. Grandma's guest room is in the underground basement which has a very cold floor.

For keeping the kid from unzipping the tent (fast to remove from the outside so not a safety hazard). We put the peapod in the middle of a queen bed but I wouldn't do so with a really active child. I'd think a doubled over comforter under the tent would work but maybe someone has a better suggestion for a travel bed. To me you couldn't beat the weight and ease of packing the peapod.

twowhat?
04-05-2014, 10:08 PM
I'd probably go for something like a toddler aerobed. It will be on the floor but you can put layers on top of the mattress for warmth, it has a "lip", and even if he falls out it's close to the floor (the sleeping surface for other travel cribs are really low to the ground anyway). At 3yo, I'd give up on the "getting out" part when it comes to sleeping while traveling, particularly if you'll be in the same room anyway.

ckso
04-05-2014, 10:51 PM
We have a peapod and love it. It has a cushioned mat that goes under it so DC wouldn't be sleeping directly on the floor. You can also lay out a blanket under it too

DD is 5 and still using it although it's starting to be too small for her

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

acmom
04-05-2014, 10:55 PM
At 3yo, I'd give up on the "getting out" part when it comes to sleeping while traveling, particularly if you'll be in the same room anyway.

:yeahthat: We had similar issues with DD and DS - they both outgrew the pack n play before they had transitioned out of the crib. I was nervous about it, but we ended up using both air mattresses on the floor and having them sleep in a double/queen/king with one of us. We made sure they were tired and ready for bed and then stayed with them until they fell asleep to avoid the wandering issue. After they fell asleep, we would surround them with pillows and either be in the same room or use a monitor til we went to bed. Then we would sleep in the same room or have one of us in bed with them. One of us always woke up if they were moving much.

scrooks
04-05-2014, 11:03 PM
I honestly can't recommend it but I my dd slept in a pnp at grandmas house until she was well over 35 pounds (she was over 4). She was a little squished but didn't care one bit.

mikala
04-05-2014, 11:55 PM
DS started using a portable cot like this for travel a bit before 3yo. He was still in a crib at home but was climbing out of a pack n play. I was nervous but he did great and it was novel enough to keep his attention. We told him he could sleep on his big boy travel bed or on the floor with blankets and he picked the bed. I usually pad it with a folded comforter, sleeping bag, blanket or hotel towels. http://www.amazon.com/Regalo-Cot-Portable-Royal-Blue/dp/B000H1MRJO

Chitowngirl
04-06-2014, 07:15 AM
I just bought the pea pod due to all the great reviews on amazon. We introduced it last week just to see how it would go over. So far my son (18 mo) has had fun playing in it, but it does NOT seem like he will sleep in it. In fact, he was fine when he could crawl in and out on his own, but he freaked out when we tried to zip it shut with him inside. For the price I don't want to keep it if it is just going to be a "play tent", but for the convenience I would love to use it for travel. Any tips on actually getting your kid to sleep in it?

Philly Mom
04-06-2014, 08:10 AM
I would do the toddler aerobed but if you are not comfortable with that or your DC isn't, I would continue to use the pack and play. I can't imagine that a few pounds will matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mackmama
04-06-2014, 08:28 PM
Ok I think we'll have to stick with the PNP option. I don't think DC would be comfortable being enclosed in a tent - and DC is not ready for an aerobed. Any other recs?