PDA

View Full Version : When Selling a House, are Outlet Plates "Fixtures?"

kaitlyns.mom
04-06-2014, 01:56 PM
We are moving in three days! :dizzy:

Random question: Are outlet plates considered "fixtures" in terms of what we are supposed to leave behind? We put childproof outlet covers on a good portion of the outlets in the house... maybe 80%. Should we take those off and replace them with the traditional outlet plates (we saved them) or would they be considered fixtures and should be left as is?

FWIW the future owners have young kids as far as we know, but I know some people get annoyed with childproof outlet covers.

Ours are like this: http://www.amazon.com/Kidco-Universal-Outlet-Cover-Pack/dp/B000V1QW3W/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1396806855&sr=8-6&keywords=childproof+outlet+covers

SnuggleBuggles
04-06-2014, 02:16 PM
Take them off and replace with normal ones. So long as something is there, you're fine. I doubt they expected you to leave them behind.

squimp
04-06-2014, 02:21 PM
I would ask. Honestly since they didn't stipulate I would leave them and save yourself the hassle.

nfowife
04-06-2014, 02:27 PM
if you want them, take them. You are not required to leave that stuff in the house. But you have to put the original ones back on.

HannaAddict
04-06-2014, 02:32 PM
They are considered fixtures. I would double check with your agent and have them ask. It isn't worth the hassle. Buy new ones at your new place. When in doubt, leave the house as the buyers found it. We bought a house that had child proof outlets before. Ask or leave them behind, but don't just strip out a fixture (and they are considered fixtures) that was there when they agreed to buy the house.

Snow mom
04-06-2014, 03:17 PM
If they were installed when the house went under contract then yes, you should either ask whether the buyers would prefer you replace with standard covers or you should leave them.

BunnyBee
04-06-2014, 03:29 PM
If they were installed when the house went under contract then yes, you should either ask whether the buyers would prefer you replace with standard covers or you should leave them.

Yes, this. Ask though! The sellers forgot to exclude a mirror and light fixture when we bought this house. We thought they were ugly and didn't care at all about a switch. Your buyers may or may not care. It's much easier to ask than to deal with a dispute later.

Kindra178
04-06-2014, 03:35 PM
For that price, I would leave them and buy them at your new home. I would super pissed if I saw a house with safe outlet covers, went under k, had a home inspection and I came back to find they weren't there. That would be one more thing for me to do at my new house.

lalasmama
04-06-2014, 04:04 PM
I'd leave them. First, because it would be easiest to only switch things once (instead of switching out at the old and new homes). Second, because they are cheap overall. Third, because they were there when they did the tour and inspection.

Ceepa
04-06-2014, 05:42 PM
If you still have use for them I'd take them along. But you have to replace them with standard covers.

Kindra178
04-06-2014, 06:08 PM
If you decide to take them, don't be surprised if they ask for a credit at closing.

SnuggleBuggles
04-06-2014, 06:56 PM
I really doubt they noticed. If you have agents though, maybe I'd ask your agent and get the official answer.

Globetrotter
04-06-2014, 07:02 PM
I would ask them if they want them! I bet they will love it! FTR, we never removed ours lol

Ceepa
04-06-2014, 07:33 PM
I really doubt they noticed.

I bet this is true. Rereading the op I see you kept the old covers. That was so you could replace the childproof ones someday, and now you have a bag of old covers, right? I'd then definitely replace those covers and take the childproof ones.

onyx8
04-06-2014, 07:54 PM
Keep them.

AshleyAnn
04-06-2014, 08:21 PM
I doubt they noticed the kid proof covers or will make a big deal over it if they did. I'd swap them out and take the covers along for the move. As long as you put the old covers back I think you're fine.

wellyes
04-06-2014, 08:45 PM
Leave them.
If you had nice curtains up, then right before closing replaced them with cheap blinds, that would not be ok. Even if the house 'originally' had the blinds.
I doubt it matters much either way, but, it could be a problem if you switch and definitely won't if you leave them. So leave them.

indigo99
04-06-2014, 09:52 PM
People without little kids would probably rather NOT have the childproof ones. I don't think it's akin to a light fixture or blinds unless you had nice stainless steel or wood covers and replaced with white plastic. If they're like ours, they make it more difficult to use the outlets because plugs fall out of them more easily. The buyers may appreciate having you switch them out.

If you do want them then I'd ask or just go ahead and switch them.

Kindra178
04-06-2014, 09:53 PM
I 100% expect the existence of those covers to be in the home inspector's report. Also, with the ages of my kids now, I probably wouldn't notice. Three years ago? I absolutely would have noticed. They very well could ask for the cost of the covers plus the cost of a handyman to install ($75/hour). Why go through this hassle?

SnuggleBuggles
04-06-2014, 09:56 PM
I 100% expect the existence of those covers to be in the home inspector's report. Also, with the ages of my kids now, I probably wouldn't notice. Three years ago? I absolutely would have noticed. They very well could ask for the cost of the covers plus the cost of a handyman to install ($75/hour). Why go through this hassle?

People would ask a handyman to install them?? I must live under a (cheap) rock. They install with a screwdriver, right?

The original question was such a no baronet to me (replace w regular/ original) but some of answers just tell me to talk to the realtor. I'd have replaced them, if I even noticed them. I'd probably be setting up the new house and kick myself for leaving them behind. :)

khm
04-06-2014, 10:22 PM

Really? I've never seen covers like that in any of our inspection reports - home inspection, appraisal or otherwise. We've had three houses in 2 states and we've refi'd many, many times and that has always required an appraisal at least, and none of those reports mention things that small.

They are most definitely not worthy of a handyman! It's one screw, I've removed them with my thumbnail.

OP, I'd just ask. :) I highly doubt they were noticed by the buyers. If they were it was just as an inexpensive childproofing item. Fixtures are more like ceiling fans, blinds that are drilled into the walls/window frames (ie, they'd leave damaged walls/wood behind) or built-in bookcases.

I doubt they much care either way, and I really doubt they'd make a stink either way. But, to be ultra cautious just ask. If they want them, leave them. If they have their own or dislike them in general, keep them.

In my market, they'd not be considered fixtures because they are easily removed without any damage. Most non-parents or parents of older kids don't want them.

When we FSBO'd our house I put in the flyer that all child proofing items were to be taken or left at the buyer's request. It was just a "nice touch". I can't imagine batting an eye that I moved into a house and the seller took such a thing.

carolinacool
04-06-2014, 11:01 PM
If they were it was just as an inexpensive childproofing item. Fixtures are more like ceiling fans, blinds that are drilled into the walls/window frames (ie, they'd leave damaged walls/wood behind) or built-in bookcases.

That was my question. Aren't these sort of like baby gates? Are you expected to leave those? I would have just switched them out, but after reading the responses, I guess I would double check. No matter what, I wouldn't pay a fee for a handyman to install them. Even my non handy self can change them. Lol

theriviera
04-07-2014, 01:03 AM
I'd leave them. First, because it would be easiest to only switch things once (instead of switching out at the old and new homes). Second, because they are cheap overall. Third, because they were there when they did the tour and inspection.

I agree. I dint think its worth the time and I don't think it's the right thing to do. We left ours when we sold our last house.

specialp
04-07-2014, 07:13 AM
They were not included in the inspection report for either the house we bought or the one we sold, both of which had them. If you are wanting to keep them, just ask. If you are indifferent, leave them and do not add another thing on your to-do list. I wouldn't take them off and change them without confirming it. Chances are they didn't notice, but I did when I was looking and I was glad to see some installed.

JBaxter
04-07-2014, 07:31 AM
I was told anything screwed into the walls stays (curtain rods switch plates towel bars). If you showed the house with them and they were not specifically listed as to be removed they were sold with the house.

JenChem
04-07-2014, 11:32 AM
I'd have your realtor ask the buyers. Otherwise I'd leave them. When we sold our house we left all the fixtures including curtain bars and blinds but took our curtains with us; at realtor's direction. Well the sellers called to complain because they apparently wanted the curtains left and considered them a fixture. We told them sorry they were already packed up in a box in storage in another state and we (inc realtor) didn't consider them fixtures. They decided not to pursue the matter thank goodness.

HannaAddict
04-07-2014, 03:09 PM
I'd have your realtor ask the buyers. Otherwise I'd leave them. When we sold our house we left all the fixtures including curtain bars and blinds but took our curtains with us; at realtor's direction. Well the sellers called to complain because they apparently wanted the curtains left and considered them a fixture. We told them sorry they were already packed up in a box in storage in another state and we (inc realtor) didn't consider them fixtures. They decided not to pursue the matter thank goodness.

Your realtor was totally wrong about the curtains, unless you specifically excluded them in the contract, under every real estate contract I've seen and the multiple listing service form agreement! Lucky that they didn't pursue it as under any standard MLS contract here you would be in the wrong. And curtains are usually so house specific, can't imagine taking them with you.

To OP, the outlet covers are fixtures. Leave them or ask. If the buyers have kids, I bet they noticed. We noticed that the house we bought when had a two year old, had been professionally baby proofed. It wasn't in the report but our realtor pointed it out - all the covers and drawer pulls etc. It isn't why we bought the house, but if they had been removed would have been unhappy. And a handyman is a reasonable alternative, my husband isn't handy and has zero desire to install things like that and in a large house it takes time. Just leave them or ask, they are part of the house.

And don't take the window coverings unless it is spelled out in the contract!

wellyes
04-07-2014, 03:31 PM
I'd be furious if someone took the curtains from a house I just bought!

JBaxter
04-07-2014, 03:35 PM
I have always taken the curtains. The bedroom ones match the kids bed spreads and my dining room ones I have linens to match. I take my curtains and have for the past 3 houses. Blinds stay.

kaitlyns.mom
04-07-2014, 03:36 PM
I'd be furious if someone took the curtains from a house I just bought!

See, everything I'm reading states that curtains themselves are personal property and do not stay with the house, but curtain rods are fixtures and they do.

I sent the realtor an e-mail asking for confirmation on: outlet plates, curtain rods (assuming they stay), curtains, and childproofing drawer latches. Will update when he replies!

wellyes
04-07-2014, 03:42 PM
If it's written into the contract that curtains go, sure. If it's not mentioned, I'd assume they were staying.
Maybe it's because I'm in New England and houses tend to be quirky and old--- curtains from the house you're selling never fit into the house you're buying anyway.

tabegle
04-07-2014, 03:43 PM
I was told anything screwed into the walls stays (curtain rods switch plates towel bars). If you showed the house with them and they were not specifically listed as to be removed they were sold with the house.

I was told this too. When we had our final inspection the day of closing, I was quite pissed the previous owners had removed the shelving in the living room that had been screwed into the wall. Granted, it wasn't the standard closet shelves, but it qualified as it had been screwed into the wall, we noted that in our previous walk-throughs. (and it wasn't something the home inspector noted.) We let it go, but I'm still bitter about it 5 years later.

carolinacool
04-07-2014, 03:47 PM
Yeah, why would you want someone's old curtains? Don't they usually go with your bedding/furniture color/wall paint? Blinds I can see staying. Although I guess in expensive homes that have specialty windows, I guess I can see wanting specialty curtains. Not a problem I'll ever have.

And I should get a side job offering to change out switch plates. LOL

khm
04-07-2014, 03:49 PM
See, everything I'm reading states that curtains themselves are personal property and do not stay with the house, but curtain rods are fixtures and they do.

I sent the realtor an e-mail asking for confirmation on: outlet plates, curtain rods (assuming they stay), curtains, and childproofing drawer latches. Will update when he replies!

In my market, this is the case. The realtor I work for typically checks the box "Curtains/Blinds Partial" in the MLS paperwork to indicate that all may or may not stay. (This area also spells out what appliances stay, etc.) She generally notes specifically rooms which will be exempt from the purchase agreement, but as a standard, she checks that box.

Blinds are screwed into the walls and are assumed that they are permanent. Curtain rods are also screwed in and assumed to be permanent. Curtains? Not so much. They can be removed without damage, and as a PP said, they probably match bedding or whatnot. We had several fancy built-in type custom window treatments, the previous owners did not take them. They aren't my style, but they were here. Curtains in bedrooms, taken.

Both parties would do well to state their preferences. If you are selling and know you are taking something iffy, state it.

If you are buying and really like all the curtains, write them into the purchase agreement.

JenChem
04-07-2014, 03:49 PM
I took curtains out of both homes I sold. My curtains match bedroom sets and other linens in my home. I would never have expected a home to come with curtains, that would make me feel icky (pet hair, dust, smells, etc.). Both realtors in two different states said leave blinds and take curtains. But I think this highlights how important it is to run these things by your realtor as he/she knows what is expected in your area. I wanted to leave some cans of paint used in the home but realtor asked me to take that out or toss as she has gotten called back to houses to dispose of paint cans. I thought that was unexpected as I would love to have touch up paint.

kaitlyns.mom
04-07-2014, 03:53 PM
I wanted to leave some cans of paint used in the home but realtor asked me to take that out or toss as she has gotten called back to houses to dispose of paint cans. I thought that was unexpected as I would love to have touch up paint.

And our realtor, when we asked, said, "ALWAYS leave leftover paint." Which surprised me. We painted within the last year and it's a neutral color mostly, but who knows what their plans are? I think there is so much variation.

All of our curtains are very specific to my style... lots of blue/aqua. We have a sunroom with three walls full of windows. The previous owners left the striped curtains, which were not our style at all, and we had to get rid of them - something like 24 panels. We replaced them with bamboo matchstick blinds which will stay with the house.

And also, we live in earthquake country... pretty much anything over a certain height is screwed into the wall. I can't imagine those would be expected to stay.

specialp
04-07-2014, 03:58 PM
Yeah, why would you want someone's old curtains? Don't they usually go with your bedding/furniture color/wall paint? Blinds I can see staying. Although I guess in expensive homes that have specialty windows, I guess I can see wanting specialty curtains. Not a problem I'll ever have.

Curtains are not fixtures here, but rods into the wall are. I have always requested window coverings to stay even if I thought they were awful just so I would have something to cover the windows while we moved in and got settled.

ETA: And I hate leftover paint! It is so hard getting rid of it correctly! The owners did that here and I wished they wouldn't have.

khm
04-07-2014, 04:02 PM
I was told this too. When we had our final inspection the day of closing, I was quite pissed the previous owners had removed the shelving in the living room that had been screwed into the wall. Granted, it wasn't the standard closet shelves, but it qualified as it had been screwed into the wall, we noted that in our previous walk-throughs. (and it wasn't something the home inspector noted.) We let it go, but I'm still bitter about it 5 years later.

Yeah shelves are always a huge bone of contention/confusion.

I tend to see stuff like Pottery Barn floating shelves or little IKEA picture ledges as personal property - as a picture or clock hung on the wall would be. But, they ARE screwed into the walls, so yeah, ask. You'll ask 10 realtors and probably get different answers all around.

We had some bedside lamps that hung on the wall, they just plugged in, they weren't wired in electrically, so we saw them as personal property and took them down. (Repairing the hole, etc.) They buyers were bummed. I felt bad, but it didn't dawn on me to leave them, they were just something I hung up, ya know?

My realtor's co-worker had to navigate a huge fight over wall shelving in the garage. The buyers assumed it stayed but the sellers took it down and patched up the walls. Much hate and discontent ensued.

Now, my realtor makes a huge deal about any and all shelving in the paperwork!

westwoodmom04
04-07-2014, 04:03 PM
All window treatments stay here (curtains, blinds, sheers, etc.. .), usually this is custom stuff that isn't likely to fit the windows at the seller's new place. Our seller left us a baby gate (stair top) as well. We still have some of the childproof outlets up and I would definitely leave them unless the buyer requested otherwise.

Kestrel
04-07-2014, 04:17 PM
Realtor family here.

Where we are, all window covering stay with the home, unless specified.

Also, the home inspectors would flag every single outlet that is blocked. The inspector tests every outlet to make sure there is power; if they can't just stick their volt meter into the outlet, they report it... every time. ie.. "bedroom #2 has three outlets blocked with childproofing." If this is how the home is when offer is made and inspected; that's how it should be at change of possession.

indigo99
04-07-2014, 05:00 PM
When we purchased this house, we asked them to leave all window coverings. There weren't any curtains anywhere, but all of the windows had blinds. They were building a new house so I had concerns that they would take the blinds for their new home. Apparently that was their plan as they weren't very happy when I asked for the blinds to be included. I guess expectations vary from place to place.

HannaAddict
04-07-2014, 05:06 PM

Here it is just what is standard in our state's Multiple Listing Agreement. Window coverings stay and the definition includes curtains. Even if you want to change them later, they stay so you don't have to have new curtains the minute you move in or use temp redo-shades. And I can't imagine taking them since window sizes here vary so much, the rods and curtains from any of our houses wouldn't fit in any other house we've bought. But we don't have tract houses or new spec homes, all older homes with varying window sizes in our area.

HannaAddict
04-07-2014, 05:08 PM

What does the actual purchase and sale say? If it says window coverings, they should be defined. Ask the realtor and is it really worth it to take curtains or outlet plates?

kaitlyns.mom
04-07-2014, 05:56 PM
What does the actual purchase and sale say? If it says window coverings, they should be defined. Ask the realtor and is it really worth it to take curtains or outlet plates?

Realtor replied... Child proofing is up to us. We are going to leave them. Curtains and rods stay.
I love our curtains and they are standard sizes. That said, I can repurchase them easily. If I had thought ahead I may have brought them with. In one room they are handmade by me - I bought the fabric just a few months ago. Again, if I want them I can buy more fabric. We don't know what we will need yet so we will just wait.

AnnieW625
04-07-2014, 05:57 PM
I would probably leave them. I would consider taking one that was decorative, but in your case it would just be one less thing you'd have to replace now.

vonfirmath
04-08-2014, 12:10 AM

They took the ceiling fan/light in our master bedroom -- leaving it dark and without a light source at all! I was VERY surprised. We decided not to make a stink over it because we NEEDED all of the month we had to get the house ready. But there were quite a few surprises like this. Scrapes (in the dark walls, these are obvious, behind large pieces of furniture. Evidence of water damage behind the bunk beds. And one room door was completely bashed in on the back. We THINK that happened at the end but were not 100% certain. We replaced it but couldn't find a door to match so bought from Lowe's and it evidently was not good quality because its bashed in again

MamaMolly
04-08-2014, 06:54 AM
Check your contract. We bought recently and ours stated that anything attached to the walls that was not a picture/artwork was a fixture (shelving, curtains and rods, etc).

FWIW, I'd have noticed if the outlets were child proof or not, and we don't use outlet covers anymore.