PDA

View Full Version : Ds2 bit by next door neighbor dog

hillview
04-06-2014, 07:41 PM
It is just his finger. Small deep puncture wound. Dog is unpredictable and I didn't realize he was out there (my bad). Ds2 has had a rough go of it lately. Love the neighbors. Have to sort out how to handle it.

We are at the ER.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sntm
04-06-2014, 08:03 PM
Oh, hope he is okay. Scary for you both

lmh2402
04-06-2014, 08:42 PM
oh man. that sucks. i'm so sorry. poor boy. hugs to him, and you!

123LuckyMom
04-06-2014, 08:44 PM
Wow! I'm sorry! I hope everything works out okay. Poor little guy!

hillview
04-06-2014, 08:45 PM
Thanks all we are home. 2,5 hrs in ER. Could be worse.

SnuggleBuggles
04-06-2014, 08:56 PM
:( I'm glad you are home and I hope healing is smooth!

My friend's ds was bitten this weekend too while out for a walk. Dog was unprovoked and bite looks awful :( I'm sorry you had the same bad luck!

TwinFoxes
04-06-2014, 09:09 PM
I'm so sorry. That's just awful. The owners need to pay all your bills, without question. And cooperate with authorities re: the dog.

trales
04-06-2014, 09:11 PM
I am so sorry this happen and glad you are home.

No matter how you handle it, the hospital will have to report it to animal control who will go and see the dog and the owners. My inlaws dog bit DD when she was a baby, and they had to deal with animal control. The dog was quarantined to the house for 2 weeks, and checked by animal control, had to be checked by the vet etc. It was up to date on shots, my inlaws opted to pay cash for the ER visit rather than report to the insurance since our health insurance would not pay for it since it was done by a dog.

mommy111
04-06-2014, 09:35 PM
Hope your little guy is doing well!!!

hillview
04-06-2014, 09:55 PM
no animal control called here. it is a $100 deductible for us. I am more concerned about what to do about the dog. He is allowed off leash and I think he is unpredictable.

SnuggleBuggles
04-06-2014, 10:00 PM
In my friend's case, the dog is now in quarantine. I'd push for some action.

DualvansMommy
04-06-2014, 10:02 PM
So sorry to hear about your DS! Glad the ER ordeal wasn't too bad tonight.

Re: neighbors dog, doesn't your town have leash rules? I'm in a neighborhood with homes on one acre or little over and most are not fenced. Therefore leash laws around here is pretty strict and enforced big time if any neighbors see any of dogs roaming without owner or leash. Again sorry about your troubles!

hillview
04-06-2014, 10:09 PM
DS2 was playing with the girl next door and they were doing "training" of the dog. DS2 had a treat and the dog bit him. I didn't know the dog was out there (it belongs to the neighbor's brother who lives downstairs).

TwinFoxes
04-06-2014, 10:26 PM
no animal control called here. it is a $100 deductible for us. I am more concerned about what to do about the dog. He is allowed off leash and I think he is unpredictable.

DS2 was playing with the girl next door and they were doing "training" of the dog. DS2 had a treat and the dog bit him. I didn't know the dog was out there (it belongs to the neighbor's brother who lives downstairs).

I would forbid him from playing over there (although he may be in no mood to visit there now). I'm really surprised animal control wasn't called. The family is nuts to let an unpredictable dog off leash when strangers are around. I think you're within your rights to call animal control. But I get that the reality of having to live with them a next door might be a deterrent.

hillview
04-06-2014, 10:35 PM
Yeah we love our neighbors. Really love them. Need to tell them dog can't be off leash. My kids can't be around him. Soooo not looking forward to that conversation.

ShanaMama
04-06-2014, 10:49 PM
Yeah we love our neighbors. Really love them. Need to tell them dog can't be off leash. My kids can't be around him. Soooo not looking forward to that conversation.

So sorry for your poor boy. Do your neighbors not know he was bitten? If they are normal responsible people, you'd think they'd be the ones dreading an awkward conversation with you. They should be going overboard to compensate! I can't believe that you have to point out to them how to handle the dog!

BunnyBee
04-06-2014, 11:07 PM

Are you in MA? The hospital or doctor's office is required to report dog bites to the appropriate agency in your town.

JustMe
04-07-2014, 12:50 AM
No advice, but just wanted to say I'm sorry for both you and your ds.

JBaxter
04-07-2014, 08:10 AM
Just trying to get a clear read on the situation First sorry your son I know personally how that hurts. Ok so your son was in their yard helping train the dog with treats when he was bit? Was the dog running free or on their property (contained or not but solidly in their yard)? If your son was close enough to hand him a bit of food I cant see how a leash would have done anything to prevent the bite. ~ Again just trying to get a clear picture of the situation.

trcy
04-07-2014, 08:15 AM
The hospital may have faxed a report to animal control. I would be really surprised if they weren't somehow notified and if they don't investigate. It is required by law here. Maybe call your animal control to see what the reporting laws are in your area and file a report if it has not already been done.
I hope your DS is doing ok.

Kymberley
04-07-2014, 08:18 AM
Something similar happened to me when I was little. I was trying to get my cousin's poodle to sit and I was holding the treat with 2 fingers. He didn't WANT to sit, he wanted that treat, so he took it and bit me in the process. Not aggressive, not his fault, he was very food motivated and I was inexperienced. My lab is the same way and I will not let any child, not even my own, hand feed him anything. I'm so sorry your son got hurt. I hope he is feeling better today.

egoldber
04-07-2014, 08:24 AM
he was very food motivated

Yes, some dogs become very aggressive around food. Our own dog bit older DD (when she was a toddler) when I was cooking. They were both near me, I dropped some food, the dog went for it and bit older DD to "protect" the food. After that I never let the dog in the kitchen when I was cooking.

I would also be surprised if animal control was not contacted, because I thought all ERs were required to report dog bites? Whether or not animal control follows up is a different story.

mom2khj
04-07-2014, 08:45 AM
Been on the opposite end of that. Our dog bit a neighbor boy when his dad was feeding the dogs for us. He brought his son and son provoked the dog (poked her in the eye) and she nipped at him. It barely broke the skin, but was on his cheek so they took him to a doctor just in case (close to the eye, I guess?). Since they took him to a doctor, doctor had to report and animal control had to investigate. She just had to be quarantined in our house for 1 week and our vet had to provide her records and that was all.

I'm sorry your son was bitten. I hope he heals well and isn't too traumatized. I'm sure the neighbors will understand you not wanting the dog around your son and hopefully they will keep it under control better.

hillview
04-07-2014, 08:59 AM
So sorry for your poor boy. Do your neighbors not know he was bitten? If they are normal responsible people, you'd think they'd be the ones dreading an awkward conversation with you. They should be going overboard to compensate! I can't believe that you have to point out to them how to handle the dog!
They know he was bitten, they were there (dad was). They know he is unpredictable. He isn't their dog. He belongs to the mom's brother who lives below them. They were watching the dog (typical for them).

Are you in MA? The hospital or doctor's office is required to report dog bites to the appropriate agency in your town.
Interesting, we are in MA. The hospital didn't ask for any info about the dog other than if he was up to date on his shots. I said he had bitten another child before and was unpredictable but nothing asked.

Just trying to get a clear read on the situation First sorry your son I know personally how that hurts. Ok so your son was in their yard helping train the dog with treats when he was bit? Was the dog running free or on their property (contained or not but solidly in their yard)? If your son was close enough to hand him a bit of food I cant see how a leash would have done anything to prevent the bite. ~ Again just trying to get a clear picture of the situation.
Leash would not have helped in this situation. You are correct.

The hospital may have faxed a report to animal control. I would be really surprised if they weren't somehow notified and if they don't investigate. It is required by law here. Maybe call your animal control to see what the reporting laws are in your area and file a report if it has not already been done.
I hope your DS is doing ok.
Thanks!

Ceepa
04-07-2014, 09:02 AM
Yes, some dogs become very aggressive around food.

Our kids don't even hold out treats for the cats because the cats will open their mouths too wide and close them up too quickly for fingers.

I'd use this as a good reminder to not hand feed any animal.

hillview
04-07-2014, 09:02 AM
Something similar happened to me when I was little. I was trying to get my cousin's poodle to sit and I was holding the treat with 2 fingers. He didn't WANT to sit, he wanted that treat, so he took it and bit me in the process. Not aggressive, not his fault, he was very food motivated and I was inexperienced. My lab is the same way and I will not let any child, not even my own, hand feed him anything. I'm so sorry your son got hurt. I hope he is feeling better today.
Yes food is an issue in retrospect.

Yes, some dogs become very aggressive around food. Our own dog bit older DD (when she was a toddler) when I was cooking. They were both near me, I dropped some food, the dog went for it and bit older DD to "protect" the food. After that I never let the dog in the kitchen when I was cooking.

I would also be surprised if animal control was not contacted, because I thought all ERs were required to report dog bites? Whether or not animal control follows up is a different story.
Good point, I think food is an issue. This same dog bit a neighbor girl. Dog was on leash. Girl had a treat for dog. Dog lunged and bit her hand with food. Hindsight is 20/20!

He apparently wasn't giving the dog the treat yesterday. he had it and (looked away?) and the dog bit him.

twowhat?
04-07-2014, 10:14 AM
With just this information it sounds like a dog who is overenthusiastic about taking treats from hands and maybe not a true "provoked" bite due to aggression or fear. Nevertheless, I agree that your DS should not have food for the dog/interact with it any more and the neighbors need to be 100% committed to keeping dog on leash. Is this a large dog? I'm asking because people have a tendency to think that small dogs are safer so I think you'd really have to emphasize the leash issue if this was a smaller dog.

Dogs DO have to be taught to take treats gently and CAN cause quite a bit of damage taking a treat too zealously from a hand...they DO also have to be taught that they shouldn't snatch a treat from hands unless they are given permission. If you think this was the case, for the future if your DS is ever in a position to give a treat to a dog, I always have my kids do it by laying the treat flat in an open palm (vs pinching it between their fingers). Of course it's not a guarantee, but most dogs won't approach a treat held this way with a "chomp".

Anyway I'm hoping what I described was indeed the issue because it would be easier to solve by simply not having food around the dog anymore (of course in addition to the dog's owners being diligent with a leash).

I hope your DS is feeling better about it now!

Oh and I agree with PPs that the dog's owners absolutely should pay the ER bill. With the additional info that this dog bit a girl's hand before (same treat issue?) the owners should have already been practicing extra diligent watchfulness around the dog :nono:.

Nooknookmom
04-07-2014, 10:36 AM
With just this information it sounds like a dog who is overenthusiastic about taking treats from hands and maybe not a true "provoked" bite due to aggression or fear. Nevertheless, I agree that your DS should not have food for the dog/interact with it any more and the neighbors need to be 100% committed to keeping dog on leash. Is this a large dog? I'm asking because people have a tendency to think that small dogs are safer so I think you'd really have to emphasize the leash issue if this was a smaller dog.

Dogs DO have to be taught to take treats gently and CAN cause quite a bit of damage taking a treat too zealously from a hand...they DO also have to be taught that they shouldn't snatch a treat from hands unless they are given permission. If you think this was the case, for the future if your DS is ever in a position to give a treat to a dog, I always have my kids do it by laying the treat flat in an open palm (vs pinching it between their fingers). Of course it's not a guarantee, but most dogs won't approach a treat held this way with a "chomp".

Anyway I'm hoping what I described was indeed the issue because it would be easier to solve by simply not having food around the dog anymore (of course in addition to the dog's owners being diligent with a leash).

I hope your DS is feeling better about it now!

Oh and I agree with PPs that the dog's owners absolutely should pay the ER bill. With the additional info that this dog bit a girl's hand before (same treat issue?) the owners should have already been practicing extra diligent watchfulness around the dog :nono:.

I agree. I have had 5 shepherds over the past 23 years and I would NEVER let any kid run sound with food near any of my dogs. They are dogs - they can't think "hmm, the treat looks really good, but that's a kids hand, so perhaps I would wait before grabbing it."

That BROTHER who lives with the neighbor should pay the er $.

Plus why was your kiddo out there with a treat? No way would I let that happen again. Bc if they were "training" there's a good chance the dog will get excited (again) & snap the treat out of his hand.

I teach my kids to hand out treats FLAT like you would feed a horse.

What kind if dog is this? DD2 was bitten in the face ( unprovoked) by our neighbors little rat dog (terrier mix) when she was maybe 3. I just handled it bc I like the neighbors. We are ALAWYS putting that dog back in their yard-not so responsible with the mutt but they have chickens and they are well kept lol.

Hope your kiddo feels better soon....

TwinFoxes
04-07-2014, 11:50 AM
They know he was bitten, they were there (dad was). They know he is unpredictable. He isn't their dog. He belongs to the mom's brother who lives below them. They were watching the dog (typical for them).

Leash would not have helped in this situation. You are correct.

Thanks!

If they know he's unpredictable, they should have him contained. He shouldn't be playing/being trained by neighborhood 6 year olds. He bit a girl for a treat, but they still let kids have treats around him? That's bizarre! He's not their dog, but it's their property. I think they're really irresponsible, sorry. (And I think you all know I'm a big dog lover).

hillview
04-07-2014, 01:41 PM
Ok so more info fwiw. DS2 was not giving him the treat at that moment he just had one (I guess??). So I am not a dog expert but have had a few dogs and currently have a dog. I feel like a dog could accidentally get a little skin grabbing a treat but a deep puncture wound on both sides of a finger seems a little over the top. Their 10 year old was training the dog and DS2 went over to play with her and she was helping him train the dog too. This dog also growled at my DS1 (who is 8 and the size of a 10 year old) on Saturday when we were over -- DS1 was walking past the dog when the dog was lying down. Also on Saturday, the dad reported that the dog had "gone after" a women who was collecting sticks from their front yard (she also collects cans from the garbage).

The dog is a lab. He was kicked out of doggie day care for being aggressive. The little girl there LOVES this dog and I think the dog gets her as an alpha. I feel like he is an accident waiting to happen.

Pear
04-07-2014, 02:13 PM
Do not be surprised if your medical insurance refuses to cover this. They may try to shift the bill to your neighbor's home owners insurance

hbridge
04-07-2014, 02:25 PM
The dog is a lab. He was kicked out of doggie day care for being aggressive. The little girl there LOVES this dog and I think the dog gets her as an alpha. I feel like he is an accident waiting to happen.

So this was not new behavior and there is NO WAY the family should have left the kids with this dog without the dog under adult control. It sounds like they had already had plenty of warning. Hopefully they will take some action so something like this does not occur again. Hugs to you and your family.

twowhat?
04-07-2014, 03:05 PM
So this was not new behavior and there is NO WAY the family should have left the kids with this dog without the dog under adult control. It sounds like they had already had plenty of warning. Hopefully they will take some action so something like this does not occur again. Hugs to you and your family.

Yup. This. PITA.

mackmama
04-07-2014, 06:51 PM
Ok so more info fwiw. DS2 was not giving him the treat at that moment he just had one (I guess??). So I am not a dog expert but have had a few dogs and currently have a dog. I feel like a dog could accidentally get a little skin grabbing a treat but a deep puncture wound on both sides of a finger seems a little over the top. Their 10 year old was training the dog and DS2 went over to play with her and she was helping him train the dog too. This dog also growled at my DS1 (who is 8 and the size of a 10 year old) on Saturday when we were over -- DS1 was walking past the dog when the dog was lying down. Also on Saturday, the dad reported that the dog had "gone after" a women who was collecting sticks from their front yard (she also collects cans from the garbage).

Oh dear - that doesn't sound good. It does sound like this dog has a growing history of aggression.

What did the ER do for your DS' finger? Hope he's feeling better.

hillview
04-07-2014, 07:11 PM
ok Animal Control did call -- somehow they got the info and I am actually ok with that. Makes it easier for me. DS's finger is on the mend. It is pretty swollen but not super red so infection seems to be at bay. He is getting antibiotic to prevent infection. It seems to not be bothering him much -- it hurt when he woke up, I gave him motrin and that was the last pain med he got.

My concern was what to do about the dog situation and now that animal control is no it, I am delegating responsibility to them :)

TwinFoxes
04-07-2014, 07:52 PM
ok Animal Control did call -- somehow they got the info and I am actually ok with that. Makes it easier for me. DS's finger is on the mend. It is pretty swollen but not super red so infection seems to be at bay. He is getting antibiotic to prevent infection. It seems to not be bothering him much -- it hurt when he woke up, I gave him motrin and that was the last pain med he got.

My concern was what to do about the dog situation and now that animal control is no it, I am delegating responsibility to them :)

I'm glad the system seems to be working.