PDA

View Full Version : Recommend paint for mirror frame

sntm
04-06-2014, 08:06 PM
This is one of those times when amazon reviews make my eyes cross. We have an old mirror with a carved frame that I want to paint a glossy black for our hallway. Any good reviews of paints? Spray paint would be preferable and would love a low odor/gas one

mackmama
04-06-2014, 08:26 PM
Rustoleum, but unfortunately it will be a little stinky. They do make a low VOC option, but I've been told they don't work well at all - so I've stuck with the traditional Rustoleum sprays.

erosenst
04-06-2014, 10:45 PM
Inside the house, right? Go to WalMart (yeah, I know) and look for something glossy. You don't need Rustoleum, and other brands vary regionally. Buy more than you think you'll need to save the trip back and have some left for touch up if needed. Depending what's on there now, you might want to get a spray primer to use first.

If WalMart really bothers you, go to Michael's (ACMoore some places) or the local hardware store. (I've had good luck with Ace.) Usually, but not always, less selection, and 2x the price - but still won't break the bank.

One more thing - I've used craft paint and a foam brush on mirror frames with good results. Easier than having to prop the frame up, and then spray down. (Some of the new spray cans make spraying down easier, but never great.)