PDA

View Full Version : stain removal help: Home Depot Kids Workshop paint

candaceb
04-06-2014, 11:09 PM
DH took DS to the Home Depot Kids' Workshop yesterday. They made a lovely birdfeeder, but ended up with paint all over the white sleeves of DS's favorite Thomas shirt. I am an idiot for forgetting to put out clothes before I left for a pedicure yesterday morning...

I was not home when they got home, and DH says he put oxy on the shirt and then ran it through the washer, where it sat until I found it this evening. I don't think the washing did much of anything. Any suggestions for getting this out? When I googled, I found information that says that the paint they use is easily washed out with soap and water while wet, but it doesn't say anything about what to do once it dries. The body of the shirt is green, so I can't just bleach it (it is double-sleeved).

mikala
04-06-2014, 11:36 PM
Fwiw I haven't had any luck removing paint stains from clothes in past home depot projects. Same situation, paint on the sleeves of a favorite shirt. I tried an oxy soak, fels naphtha, rubbed with a toothbrush, no luck. I don't know if they always use the same paint but I now dress ds in play clothes and try to wear clothes i don't care about much because there as always seems to be chaos at the paint table.

Good luck with the stain removal! I hope it works out.

WatchingThemGrow
04-07-2014, 06:10 AM
good to know (but sorry!) as my boys got paint on them as well. I will try to address those shirts today. FWIW I took home some extra bottles of their paint (they were tossing) so I can check the label if needed. The double sleeved tees with WHITE sleeves are banned in our house. They never work out no matter the activity.

mikala
04-07-2014, 07:35 AM
Watchingthemgrow, I'd be curious about the paint type. They always bring out paper plates covered with paint at our store so I've never seen the label.

Snow mom
04-07-2014, 08:02 AM
At least at the Home Depot we went to it's the same paint you would use for your walls. I'd say nothing is going to take that out now but your best bet is mineral spirits. I'd write off the shirt.

indigo99
04-07-2014, 06:59 PM
Our store didn't give out paint for the feeders. We didn't even get to finish our unpainted feeders though. About halfway through, without warning, DS2 threw up all over himself and DH.