PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite Password Manager? Is it Roboform?

magnoliaparadise
04-07-2014, 01:55 AM
Hi,

I have been trying to consolidate all of my passwords over the last few months - I was getting frustrated by how many times I was losing and re-setting passwords (security questions never seem to work for me).

At last count, I have approximately 60 different places where I use passwords! I never would have believed it if someone told me that before writing them all down, but if I include everything, from small things like Snapfish to my bank password, etc., that's the number I got! Try it and see how many places you need a password - crazy.

So I have decided that I need a Password Manager or document 'lock'. Does anyone use one or have suggestions? It seems like the forerunner for now is Roboform from my limited search, but I might have missed something.

I would love a password manager or lock that is effective and easy to use and most of all, safe. The only thing I don't love about Roboform is that it (I think) you input your passwords into their website. They don't track the password you use to open your account, but... what if their system was hacked?

So another thought I have is just to buy some software to 'lock' a word document or excel spread sheet and use that document/spread sheet to harness all my passwords and put it in my computer. It's very basic, but, at least as of now, I personally don't need to access my passwords on my iphone or connect from away from my computer so that seems doable. But I don't know that software.

Does anyone have any suggestions or experience?

Thanks.

Globetrotter
04-07-2014, 03:16 AM
I keep a list in a todo app but don't write the entire pw down, just something to jog my memory or a partial one with most letters missing. I'm sure you can "hide" a list in some of the apps, but I don't know details.

LD92599
04-07-2014, 09:47 AM
you can lock an excel spreadsheet under save as.

minnie-zb
04-07-2014, 09:50 AM
We use Lastpass. We have for a few years. Really like it -- we have the paid version. This enables us to have it on all of our electronic devices from cell phones, tablets to computers.

TwinFoxes
04-07-2014, 09:56 AM
you can lock an excel spreadsheet under save as.

:yeahthat: It's what we do. But honestly, I reuse passwords for non-financial stuff. If my Washington Post password is the same as my LA Times password, I'm fine with it. (I do NOT do this for things like my bank, paypal, etc).

pastrygirl
04-07-2014, 05:45 PM
I use 1Password and LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I don't create my own passwords anymore, and ALL sites get a new randomly generated password. I only remember/know/keep track of the password to 1Password and my bank, that's it. I use the app on my Macs and iPad/iPhones, but also use it on my Windows work laptop.

pomegranate
04-07-2014, 09:22 PM
I use SplashID. It's fine.