PDA

View Full Version : brake light and needing new transmission

diamond
04-07-2014, 10:22 AM
asking for a friend

khalloc
04-07-2014, 10:53 AM
Well in my car the brake light doesnt come on when I need new brakes. I've never had that happen and I've needed new brakes multiple times in the 10 years I've had my car. So I would bet its something else? She can probably bring it to an auto store like Auto Zone or something like that and they will plug it into their computer and they can run the codes and see what the light might mean.

Not sure about the transmission. DH replaced the transmission on his old Blazer maybe 7 years ago, but I dont know whether or not its safe to drive until it gets replaced or not.

mskitty
04-08-2014, 01:07 AM
I'm not sure I'd want to ride in that car!

Usually when the brake light comes on, it means the fluid is low or the system is not able to maintain proper pressure. Check the brake fluid. She may just need need to add some. Generally for me it has meant that a brake line has developed a leak and needs replacing soon. One of those it needs to be done this week type of repairs. If the brake fluid gets too low, the brakes won't work. I'd get it checked out.

The transmission could be a variety of things. Some issues aren't that big of a deal. If the seals go in the transmission, you can have bigger issues like needing a new engine too.