PDA

View Full Version : explain how this bed wetting alarm is supposed to work? UPDATE in OP

lil_acorn
04-07-2014, 01:26 PM
We purchased the Malem alarm. We are on day 4. First two days I had DS sleep with me because I was afraid he would sleep through it or it would wake his brother.
day 1: woke up at 1:15 - very groggy and I had to wake him
day 2: woke up at 5 - still groggy; underwear wet
day 3: woke up at 1:30 - back to his room - needed assistance from DH and very groggy/cranky. Underwear a lot more wet because it took a bit for us to hear alarm
day 4 & 5: woke up ~2 - he woke up himself up; underwear was definitely more wet than #1 & 2 when I was able to wake him up more quickly, but he did pee a lot more in the toilet

How much longer do I expect this pattern to go on before seeing improvement? Is the alarm supposed to train him to wake on his own or for his body to learn to hold it more somehow?

I'm just trying to get a sense of what to expect.

Update day 10:
we've had two non-consecutive nights of dryness (day 6 and 8?). Otherwise he is now waking himself up to go to the bathroom. Underwear is not flooded so I know he is hearing it and getting up. We'll just keep going! Thanks for the tips and feedback!

wendibird22
04-07-2014, 01:42 PM
IME it took several WEEKS to see consistent improvement and the instructions suggest you keep putting on the alarm for several more weeks until you have I think 2-4wks of dry every single day. The alarm will teach the child to wake up when they sense the urge. DD1 needed the alarm and still to this day often wakes up 1x a night to pee. DD2 didn't need the alarm and never wakes up in the night to pee. IMO, I would not wake your DS up, I'd wait for the alarm to wake him. Otherwise I think you are circumventing the mind/body connection of hear alarm, feel wet, wake up. I think I remember being into week 2 before having a dry night with DD1.

mmsmom
04-07-2014, 01:43 PM
I no longer have mine but I believe the instruction book says it can take up to 6 weeks to see changes. Also, after child is dry he/she should still wear alarm for I believe 10 days. If he woke on his own I would say that is a big step. He should start waking sooner & sooner till his body is trained to wake & get to the bathroom before he starts peeing.

AustenFan
04-11-2014, 11:03 PM
Yes, let the alarm wake him up, not you. MY DS wet the bed almost every night for over 6 years, and the Malem alarm worked great! It only took DS a week or two, if I remember correctly, but I have heard up to 6 weeks depending on age/sleep tendencies of the child. Any success yet?

lil_acorn
04-13-2014, 07:46 PM
update in OP

ZeeBaby
04-13-2014, 07:52 PM
OP which alarm do you have? DD2 was fully potty trained overnight and about 2 months ago went through a major set back of consist accidents. She sleeps through the bed wetting.

lil_acorn
04-13-2014, 08:14 PM
I purchased the Malem Ultimate bed alarm based on this forum and some others. The ultimate is vibration and sound and you cannot change that. They have another fancier version that is a little more expensive where you can choose sound, vibration or both and change the ring tone. I got it at the bedwettingstore.com and waited for a coupon code - got 10% off and still had to pay shipping. But it was cheaper than amazon since I get taxed there.

ZeeBaby
04-13-2014, 09:30 PM
Was it this one?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00J2DKOIE/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?creative=395109&creativeASIN=B00J2DKOIE&linkCode=asn&ref_=asc_df_B00J2DKOIE3056935&smid=A26OASPQYU1JXQ&tag=pgmp-1587-01-20

lil_acorn
04-13-2014, 09:58 PM
Yes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZeeBaby
04-13-2014, 10:50 PM
Ok. Thank you. I will try it.