PDA

View Full Version : Clothing for funeral

PunkyBoo
04-07-2014, 02:04 PM
Fortunately it's been many years since I've had to attend a funeral, but we're going to one for DH's uncle this weekend. It's at a Catholic church. What would be appropriate for my boys to wear? Do they need to wear dark colors? They are 10 and 5 and my 5 year old HATES any shirts with buttons or collars so getting him dressed will be difficult so I may have to bribe him. Maybe i can convince him if the shirt is really soft. . . I buy them dress clothes so rarely (because they won't wear them) So I'm going to have to get everything at B&M store this week, including dress shoes if needed. Ugh. Suggestions on where to shop also appreciated- less expensive the better since they probably won't wear the stuff again. Thanks.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

rlu
04-07-2014, 02:34 PM
I would do dark colors, button down shirt with clip tie. I would not bother with dress shoes for them, just clean ones.

lizzywednesday
04-07-2014, 02:48 PM
Will your 5-year-old wear a polo shirt? You can leave the top button unbuttoned and polos tend to be a lot softer than regular dress shirts.

For inexpensive polos, my go-to would be Old Navy or H&M.

daisysmom
04-07-2014, 02:53 PM
It depends a little on the church I think. I grew up Catholic but our church was not what I would call formal. Funerals by their nature are more somber but I remember going to those of family members and friends and khakis and button downs (polo shirt or long sleeve) without a tie would have been just fine. Shirt tucked in and belt and no sneakers if you can help it, but otherwise that would have been fine. Now we got to an Episcopal church where funerals are a tad more formal and I would say either a jacket or a tie for your older one might be the norm, but I still don't think you need it for the younger one. I tend to dress up more myself in the Episcopal Church versus our Roman Catholic Church growing up. The rule for wearing dark/black, in my opinion, really depends on what you think the close family would want. We didn't wear any black/dark colors for some close friends/vibrant women who my mother was very close with when they died because they would not have wanted it - one woman requested we all wear purple. When my grandmother died, we each wore outfits which we knew she loved. When a friend of mine recently lost her 3 year old child after a very long illness, we all wore black... it was just very somber.

AnnieW625
04-07-2014, 02:59 PM
Will your 5-year-old wear a polo shirt? You can leave the top button unbuttoned and polos tend to be a lot softer than regular dress shirts.

For inexpensive polos, my go-to would be Old Navy or H&M.

my thinking as well. It is suppose to be hot this week too so having him comfortable is going to be important. If the loss was a grandparent then I might insist on a suit but for an extended family member I'd be okay with a polo and khakis for a 5 yr. old.

AngB
04-07-2014, 03:06 PM
my thinking as well. It is suppose to be hot this week too so having him comfortable is going to be important. If the loss was a grandparent then I might insist on a suit but for an extended family member I'd be okay with a polo and khakis for a 5 yr. old.

Agreed that khakis and a polo should be fine.

JBaxter
04-07-2014, 03:23 PM
I would put my 5 & 10 yr old in polo & Khakis for a funeral. Any church any place. Its hard enough for the little guys to deal with what is going let alone button them up and trying to put a tie on them.

carolinacool
04-07-2014, 04:52 PM
Agreed that khakis and a polo should be fine.

This is what my son wore to my great-aunt's funeral last summer when he was 3.5. We aren't regular church-goers and didn't have any dress shoes for him, so he just wore fisherman sandals. I didn't really have time to get anything else. That said, Payless has dress shoes in its SmartFit line for around $20. The line is fairly decent for the price.

123LuckyMom
04-07-2014, 05:45 PM
I would put my 5 & 10 yr old in polo & Khakis for a funeral. Any church any place. Its hard enough for the little guys to deal with what is going let alone button them up and trying to put a tie on them.

I think this would be fine with dress shoes. You can get a very cheap pair from a store like Target or Walmart.

Jen841
04-07-2014, 10:45 PM
My kids wear khakis, polos and dirty bucks to all church related events. Golf shorts are worn all summer. They go to church at least 1x a week.