PDA

View Full Version : Questions about PT

MSWR0319
04-07-2014, 03:01 PM
I am starting PT tomorrow for some lower back pain/hip pain/stiffness that has been going on and off for about 3 months. When I went to the doctor, I assumed she would do some type of X-ray or something to rule out anything else, but instead said that the stiffness/pain sounded like muscle problems. I don't know what to expect, but what will happen at my first appointment? Can the PT ask for X-rays if she feels there is something that may need them or tell me I need to go to an orthopedic? I don't want to be going to PT if this is an issue that needs more intervention. Dr Google tells me it's probably sacroiliac joint issues or FAI hip issues, but I'm still worried for some reason that there could be a tumor or something that no one knows about. There's really no reason for me to think that, as this is the same hip that I hurt tubing about 10 years ago and had the same exact pain which finally went away after a few months. And also the same hip that went number from sitting on an airplane too long and occasional has flared pain in the last 10 years for a week or so. Maybe I should have gone to the dr then and I wouldn't be having issues now! Oh, I have another dumb question. What should one wear to PT? Probably something like yoga pants or something so I can move my legs easier?

lizzywednesday
04-07-2014, 05:52 PM
You'll likely be assessed for range of motion, pain points, and patterns of injury.

And then you will work.

Wear comfy clothes - you will likely sweat.

brittone2
04-08-2014, 12:04 PM
PT will do a comprehensive eval of range of motion, strength, etc. There are special tests and other clues that help determine what structures are involved. The eval gives clues as to whether it is likely muscular, ligamentous, etc. They may look at your gait and will check for structural issues like leg length discrepancy. If you are having low back and or leg pain they will ask about bowel and bladder function, and they will do some neurological screening. There are usually clues during the eval and history when something more ( like a tumor) is going on. Therapists are trained to identify those issues and refer patients back out when needed. If a patient is not responding at all to therapy or symptoms send up red flags the therapist will refer you back to the MD, etc. This is a major part of a PT's education and it is common to start PT without imaging, etc. If they are concerned about your presentation or progress, they will refer you for other consultation, etc as necessary.

MSWR0319
04-09-2014, 01:57 PM
Thank you! This made me feel more calm going into the appointment. She did all that you described and she immediately knew the problem when she started feeling things and testing my strength and range of motion. Good news, no tumors or anything wild like that! Bad news, I may need arthroscopic hip surgery if the treatments don't work, but it's too soon to tell since my ligaments and muscles were super inflamed. I'm glad I went though, my back feels much better already (she said she can fix this issue easily) so that helps a lot.