PDA

View Full Version : Help me with job offer/package negotiation

iaam
04-07-2014, 04:56 PM
As I mentioned in my other thread (on life in/around LA), I have an offer for a great role at a great company. They are now working on the official offer/package. Here is the information they have asked for/already know and my high-level thoughts. I would love any advice that you may have to help ensure that I negotiate well for myself (something I am NOT good at)!

1. Know (provided by me verbally): current base salary, long-term (restricted stock) and short-term (cash bonus) information
2. Asked for: stock/restricted stock units excercisable in the next 12 months
(a) per my company's plan, the restricted stock units I am awarded vest in 3 years, so I want to try to get them to make me whole for more than just 12 months - any tips on how to approach this?
3. Asked for: anything else I would be leaving on the table, e.g., unpaid bonus
(a) I would get a prorated bonus from the new company for the months that I work for them, so the way I see it, I would essentially be leaving the remainder of the year's bonus on the table - would you agree?
(b) anything else that I should consider in this calculation?
4. Previously asked for: what it would take to get me to move
(a) I told them that I don't have a specific number in my head but that they would have to entice me to move from NJ, where we have deep roots - any general advice for how to think about this/negotiate?

Thanks for any help/thoughts that you can share - I truly appreciate it!

ETA: They will be paying for movers, house hunting trip and pre-decision area trip, tempory housing if needed, etc. I meant the actual salary+ package.

lkoala
04-07-2014, 05:21 PM
I think I would ask for moving expenses and even temporary housing until you gauge where you want to live in the LA area.

westwoodmom04
04-07-2014, 05:37 PM
No advice except for relo as we have been involved with this a few times. I would ask for: at least one house hunting trip, moving costs (for household goods and vehicles), moving trip for you and family (i.e. airfare and any hotel costs before you can get into temporary housing or home), temporary (corporate) housing if needed, they pay your realtor commission on home you are selling (hard to get but sometimes possible) and buy your home via relo company if you have trouble selling. Also see if they have any preferred home financing arrangements, real estate is so expensive in CA that a good deal on mortgage will help a lot.

iaam
04-07-2014, 05:50 PM
I think I would ask for moving expenses and even temporary housing until you gauge where you want to live in the LA area.

Sorry, should have added that they will be paying for movers, house hunting trip and pre-decision area trip, tempory housing if needed, etc. I meant the actual salary+ package.

lkoala
04-07-2014, 06:04 PM
Sorry, should have added that they will be paying for movers, house hunting trip and pre-decision area trip, tempory housing if needed, etc. I meant the actual salary+ package.

How about asking them for everything you want. High end of salary for your field and level, ask for everything related to bonuses/stock options, etc. If they aren't willing to meet your request, they will negotiate down from there but at least that way you won't leave anything on the table.

AnnieW625
04-07-2014, 06:05 PM
My only piece of advice is start investigating housing costs and potential private school costs and figure that into your base salary need. I know you are coming from New Jersey so the housing prices might actually not be a shock, but if the job is futher out your money will go farther out in some place like the Santa Clarita Valley than it will in some place like Encino or the West Hills (and even parts of the SF Valley) or Pasadena and it's border cities, especially San Marino (so if the job is in the SCV then the figure might be different if the job was based in say Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, or another posh area of LA). If you want to live in a desirable part of the Los Angeles city limits, but don't want to deal with LA Unified then please figure at least $15K a year for private diocese subsidized high school, and if you want non sectarian or Catholic independent then consider spending between 20K, and 30K per year per kid for those. The private high school figures are about the same in Pasadena as well. Some private non sectarian elementary schools are between 10K and 15K as well in Pasadena, and 15K+ out in the Valley or Westside of LA as well. Some family friends sent their daughters (now out of college) to a private all girls school and when the youngest one graduated in 2007 the tution was $25K per year, now it is a whopping $33K per year.

lil_acorn
04-07-2014, 08:34 PM
I'd also consider getting approval on any planned vacations and negotiate vacation time to include your previous years of service.

amandabea
04-07-2014, 11:37 PM
As I mentioned in my other thread (on life in/around LA), I have an offer for a great role at a great company. They are now working on the official offer/package. Here is the information they have asked for/already know and my high-level thoughts. I would love any advice that you may have to help ensure that I negotiate well for myself (something I am NOT good at)!

1. Know (provided by me verbally): current base salary, long-term (restricted stock) and short-term (cash bonus) information
2. Asked for: stock/restricted stock units excercisable in the next 12 months
(a) per my company's plan, the restricted stock units I am awarded vest in 3 years, so I want to try to get them to make me whole for more than just 12 months - any tips on how to approach this?
3. Asked for: anything else I would be leaving on the table, e.g., unpaid bonus
(a) I would get a prorated bonus from the new company for the months that I work for them, so the way I see it, I would essentially be leaving the remainder of the year's bonus on the table - would you agree?
(b) anything else that I should consider in this calculation?
4. Previously asked for: what it would take to get me to move
(a) I told them that I don't have a specific number in my head but that they would have to entice me to move from NJ, where we have deep roots - any general advice for how to think about this/negotiate?

Thanks for any help/thoughts that you can share - I truly appreciate it!

ETA: They will be paying for movers, house hunting trip and pre-decision area trip, tempory housing if needed, etc. I meant the actual salary+ package.

What level is the job -- VP, director, something else?

Base: I would ask them to make you a strong base offer and give them an idea of what it will take -- i.e. Match my current base, 5% increase, 10% increase, etc.
Bonus: is the target comparable? Ask what the past 3 years payouts have been and if they can tell you the formula.
LTI: ask for a grant with your offer equal to or greater than your current grant that will vest in 3 years.
Sign-on bonus: ask for at least what you are walking away from (any unvested LTI, any bonus $, etc). If it is significant, ask for 50% upon offer/within 30 days and the other 50% at your 1-year anniversary.

Good luck! I've started casually searching for a new job recently and it sucks!