PDA

View Full Version : Diagnose DS: Asthma or reflux..something else??

MSWR0319
04-07-2014, 06:50 PM
DS ( he's 5) has told me numerous times in the past that "he knows when he's thirsty because he feels like he needs to take a breath, but can't". I kinda blew it off for awhile, but it keeps coming up randomly. Tonight he didn't want to eat supper because of this, so I tried to dig a little deeper. He says he has this feeling (not a pain according to him) in the middle of his breast bone that feels like he needs to take a deep breath in but can't. He says sometime taking a drink makes it go away (thus the thirsty reference I think) but it did not work tonight. My thoughts are asthma or reflux? Should I make him an appointment or watch it a little longer? I just can't figure it out and I don't know if the doctor could do anything with only that description other than listen to his chest. Just wondering if others had experiences anything similar or had any ideas.

happymom
04-07-2014, 06:53 PM
I had that feeling as a kid actually. I was diagnosed with mild asthma but not sure if that's what it really was or not. I used to open the freezer door and breathe in the cold air because I thought it helped. Not sure if it actually did- I was about 10 at the time.

Simon
04-07-2014, 07:54 PM
Well, reflux is one of the things that tends to exacerbate asthma so it could be either or both. The pressure makes me think asthma. Cold water might do something if there is very mild inflammation. Reflux is more commonly associated with heartburn, coughing, sore throats, and the like. But, if the pressure is uncomfortable it could be really mild reflux. Personally, I'd offer him a Tums the next time he mentions it and see if that helps. If it does, I'd suspect reflux even though it could be just a placebo effect of taking something. If its bothering him more than 2x a month I would go see a Dr. and in the meantime try to see if Tums works or if it is associated with things like tomato sauces or dairy.

Kindra178
04-07-2014, 08:05 PM
Reflux triggers asthma. Do you have a ped pulm?

MSWR0319
04-07-2014, 09:44 PM
Reflux triggers asthma. Do you have a ped pulm?

No. We have a pediatric allergist, but no pulm. What type of weather usually flares asthma? It's been really rainy here lately, but then again maybe his allergies are triggering asthma. We've had a few wheezing episodes in the last few years that come out of no where but no asthma diagnosis. I'd really like to know for sure because he has a severe peanut allergy and I want to be prepared with asthma meds to give after his eli if he would happen to go into anaphylaxis, as I know asthma increases your risk of that.

Kindra178
04-07-2014, 10:17 PM
Rainy and 45-60 is the worst.

hannah
04-07-2014, 11:01 PM
My DS was doing something similar last year (he felt like he couldn't take a deep breath in) so we took him in to a ped asthma/allergy doc. He was tested for environmental allergens and it turns out he has mild asthma and is allergic to tree and grass pollen and indoor mold. We had no idea his reaction was either allergies or asthma so I am glad we took him in to be tested.

Kindra178
04-07-2014, 11:49 PM
Forgot to add that tree pollen is getting increasingly worse every day. It's a huge trigger for ds

ArizonaGirl
04-08-2014, 12:15 AM
The weather changes are killer for my asthmatic (up then down then up).

The worst

MSWR0319
04-08-2014, 09:26 AM
Rainy and 45-60 is the worst.

Exactly the weather we are having right now. This "attack" happened after his tap class so I'm wondering if that coupled with the exercise triggered it.

My DS was doing something similar last year (he felt like he couldn't take a deep breath in) so we took him in to a ped asthma/allergy doc. He was tested for environmental allergens and it turns out he has mild asthma and is allergic to tree and grass pollen and indoor mold. We had no idea his reaction was either allergies or asthma so I am glad we took him in to be tested.

He's only had a small panel for environmental allergens since Zyrtec was controlling it, but maybe it's time to go further. I'll bring that up at his next checkup.

Forgot to add that tree pollen is getting increasingly worse every day. It's a huge trigger for ds

Pretty sure this is also a problem for him. He's been sneezing a lot more and stuffy.

The weather changes are killer for my asthmatic (up then down then up).

The worst

Lovely. Our weather to a T.

Thanks everyone for the input. I think I will try to schedule an appointment with our ped the same say DS2 has his yearly checkup since we'll be there anyway. Our allergist is a 2 hour drive, so if I can keep whatever this is under control until then I'll have him dig into it further. I've always been suspicious of asthma with him, but he's only ever had 2 episodes of wheezing and by the time we got to the doctor it was gone and they couldn't do much.

daisysmom
04-08-2014, 03:32 PM
I wanted to reply to your quote "he has only ever had 2 episodes of wheezing... it was gone..." My DD was diagnosed with asthma at 6 and I have still never heard her wheeze. It is only hearable with a stethoscope. She had a cough for 6 months or so that we couldn't get rid of, which is why we went to the pediatrician (multiple times) and finally got to a pediatric pulmonolgist. The test for asthma was a breathing/exhale test (blow into a tube and the tube is connected to a computer which shows how forceful the exhale is). For us, the inhaler has really helped (we take one morning and night).

MSWR0319
04-08-2014, 06:05 PM
I wanted to reply to your quote "he has only ever had 2 episodes of wheezing... it was gone..." My DD was diagnosed with asthma at 6 and I have still never heard her wheeze. It is only hearable with a stethoscope. She had a cough for 6 months or so that we couldn't get rid of, which is why we went to the pediatrician (multiple times) and finally got to a pediatric pulmonolgist. The test for asthma was a breathing/exhale test (blow into a tube and the tube is connected to a computer which shows how forceful the exhale is). For us, the inhaler has really helped (we take one morning and night).

This is an excellent point. I do remember when he was a baby I took him in and was told he was wheezing and it could develop into asthma when he got older. I did not hear a wheeze myself, and it was a doctor I wasn't particularly fond of so I didn't take much from it. He's never had a prolonged cough either, which I guess it why it hasn't really crossed my mind until this description he gave me. I'll have to see if the pediatrician can refer us if he doesn't find anything.