PDA

View Full Version : Trampoline recs

ray7694
04-07-2014, 07:57 PM
My kids are 6 and 10. We have outgrown most outdoor toys. Any recommendations for trampoline. What do I need to look for?

JElaineB
04-07-2014, 08:33 PM
Don't get one. Very high chance of injury.

JBaxter
04-07-2014, 08:34 PM
FIRST check your homeowners insurance some companies won't allow them. They are dangerous and I would never own one.

maybeebaby08
04-07-2014, 09:20 PM
I've been told by friends who work in insurance never get a trampoline. They have horror stories about them, they're usually not covered and it's a magnet for kids in the neighborhood. Not worth the risk IMHO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pennylane
04-07-2014, 09:51 PM
We have one and my dc love it! Purchased through Walmart, it is the larger one with the safety net. I know all the horror stories and we still choose to purchase one. As a child it was one of my favorite things to do! My children spend hours on it jumping, playing games, reading. Really has been so much fun.

As far as other children, I always ask parents if they allow their dc on it before letting them and I also have no trouble telling kids when they can't be on it or are being too rough. Can't remember how much extra was added to our insurance but don't think it was a ton.

Ann

JamiMac
04-07-2014, 10:09 PM
We have had one for the last 5 years. My kids absolutely love it and it's had tons and tons of use. We have the safety enclosure net and poles which we've replaced twice now. Our homeowners insurance said it is not a problem. My oldest (12) broke her collarbone last year from a fall on her bike. In one of our many office visits to the orthopedic surgeon I asked him about trampolines and his take on them. He said he while he couldn't really endorse them ;) his practice sees far, far less accidents from them than bikes, scooters, skateboards and playground equipment. I also always ask other parents if it's ok for their kids to play on it.

Kindra178
04-07-2014, 10:16 PM
We have had one for the last 5 years. My kids absolutely love it and it's had tons and tons of use. We have the safety enclosure net and poles which we've replaced twice now. Our homeowners insurance said it is not a problem. My oldest (12) broke her collarbone last year from a fall on her bike. In one of our many office visits to the orthopedic surgeon I asked him about trampolines and his take on them. He said he while he couldn't really endorse them ;) his practice sees far, far less accidents from them than bikes, scooters, skateboards and playground equipment. I also always ask other parents if it's ok for their kids to play on it.

I suspect that your ortho's anecdotal conclusions would be supported by research. The number of injuries is not the issue; the problem is the potential for very serious catastrophic injury.

acmom
04-07-2014, 10:22 PM
My DH is a pediatrician and after seeing many trampoline related injuries when he worked in the ER, he won't let our kids on them (other than the really little indoor ones with a handle bar). Normally he is not very alarmist about injuries or activities at all but backyard trampolines are the one area he won't budge.