PDA

View Full Version : Feeling really overwhelmed

bisous
04-08-2014, 03:14 AM
I'm definitely not feeling depressed (and I know that feeling because I get it prenatally!) but I'm really struggling right now and need advice/perspective!

I've been a parent for 10 years. I have four kids, ages 10, 6, 2.5 and 5 months. DD is my 5mo and she's actually really easy. I can't blame my situation on her at all! DS3 is HARD but even he is easier than he ever has been. I just feel so incredibly torn in different directions.

DH is in a stressful recent job realignment and he is working an extra hour a day. It doesn't sound like much but it is seems like it has made a huge difference to how I function during the week. He only has about 1 hour per day with his kids and the rest of the day it is all me.

I feel like I need to work harder to make sure DD gets good quality sleep.

DS3 needs SO much attention and consistency. I feel guilty that he has hardly ever played with fingerpaints or play-doh--I simply rarely have the time to make and clean up such a mess! Oh, and he's starting to drop his nap which means that every afternoon the whole family suffers from his crankiness!

DS2 is my true middle child. His needs are mostly met--but I struggle really hard to make sure that he gets an equal amount of my care and attention even though he's easy. He deserves it!

DS1 is a lot of work. I won't lie, between his ADHD and his type 1 diabetes and his 10yo attitude, I feel pretty overwhelmed.

In addition to all of this, I have two personal failings. First, I can't drop my baby weight. I can't figure out why or what is different this time around. It isn't a big deal in the scheme of things but it means I spend way too much time every day trying to find something that fits. It also means that the little amount of personal time that I have is spent in exercise which I actually don't really love even though I'm "doing it for me".

The second failing is that my contract job has not been renewed after 3 years. This isn't personal--the situation is changing and they may come back and renew in the future. While I felt like my part-time job was rewarding, I'm mostly sad for the lack of income. We've struggled for years. We've never been homeless or gone hungry but we just can't afford to say, eat at the ikea cafe or even for that matter to go to ikea and browse and shop. When I was working, things were just that much less complicated. We mostly saved my income but it meant that niceties like buying Easter ties for the boys was totally possible. And that income is GONE. And I can't figure out why I but I miss it like crazy.

Mostly I just feel like I can't do anything well any more. Like I used to have it so together and now I'm a basketcase and I feel like there is no end in sight! I really can't handle my messy house. I feel like my parenting/relationships with my kids are "messy" also. My interactions with them are desperate and reactionary instead of purposeful and positive. I can't think of anything I'm actually doing well right now.

Any advice? Parents of larger families or with older kids, does it get better? I mean before they move out?

anonomom
04-08-2014, 06:30 AM
No advice, but lots of hugs. You have a TON on your plate; no wonder you feel overwhelmed! All I can say is please be kind to yourself. Can you take a few hours this weekend to head to a good thrift store for a few things that fit you? It sounds crazy, but even if the number on the tag isn't the one you'd prefer it to be, it still feels much better to have clothes that fit.

maestramommy
04-08-2014, 08:52 AM
:hug: You have so much going on right now! And your youngest is still a baby, right? Even though she is easy, infant care isn't easy, and it really adds to the challenge when you have at least 2 older kids that have getupandgo needs like school and such.

my baby weight has come and gone, and come and gone and come and gone. It just won't stay gone unless I am on top of it all the time. With my knee problem I can't run right now, and so my weight is back. It's a downer but right now I have other things to focus on so I just do what I can and that has to be enough.

Overall I would say it was not until DD3 turned 4 that I felt like even a day outing for us felt "normal." Instead of like a predicted goat rodeo every time. And that's with 3. I was always exhausted, cranky, feeling like I wasn't doing anything well except getting to the end of each day without killing anybody. Yes, I was in reactionary mode a lot. Dh has a pretty routine work schedule so he helped out in the evenings and weekends, but HE felt really cranky by days end. I don't know how we did it really except to just muddle through the best we could. We hung onto each other is the only way I think we were able to cope.

I don't have any advice, but I know that all your feelings are normal, given the stage of life you are in. :hug:

babyonway
04-08-2014, 11:38 AM
Big :grouphug:Mama you have a ton on your plate.

daisyd
04-08-2014, 12:00 PM
Hugs. You're dealing with a lot. Can you get a friend or extended family to help with childcare with even one or two of the kids so you can have more time? How about looking for another line of work. Hang in there

Gracemom
04-08-2014, 04:57 PM
I would recommend going to an ADHD support group. That diagnosis alone can add huge amounts of stress to your life. Do you have a therapist/life coach/parenting coach to talk to? Or just a supportive friend with similar kids who can listen and understand? Parenting is hard!

StantonHyde
04-08-2014, 07:03 PM
With baby #4, I would just tell myself it was going to be 2 years before the baby weight came off. You need to get more kids in school so you have more time for yourself etc. I find that if I just set a "by when" date, then I dont' worry about it anymore vs. feeling like I always have to be on top of it or that I have just given up. YOu are just going to be setting realistic deadlines for yourself.

Of course you miss the extra money--who wouldn't in your case--its nice to be able to get new things and not worry about the cost. (and its not like you are talking about getting a new car willy nilly--Easter ties is a reasonable expectation) And I can totally see how you are too overwhelmed right now to even think about finding something like your old job. So tell yourself that you will look in the fall and just let it go for now. sigh.

As for the kids--I am about to make an appointment with DS's therapist for some parent coaching. The tween attitude thing is kicking my behind. Is there any way you could DS 3 to do quiet time in his room in the afternoon? Maybe they could all do quiet time?????? (or maybe that is a total pipe dream)

YOu should be feeling overwhelmed. You really need lots of hugs and support.

StantonHyde
04-08-2014, 07:04 PM
Instead of like a predicted goat rodeo every time.

That is one of the best descriptions I have ever seen!!!!

123LuckyMom
04-08-2014, 08:31 PM
I just want to send hugs! I don't see any personal failings in your description, just struggles. I don't have any advice, but I wanted to respond. I only have two kids, and it's hard! Parenting in general is HARD! I just hope you will be kind to yourself.

mommylamb
04-08-2014, 08:48 PM
I think I would be losing my mind in that situation. I think you have a lot of patience.

That said, I hope you'll be able to find another PT job (and that you'll have access to some sort of childcare) because it sounds like that outside the house outlet would be really good for you, and great to have the income too.

elephantmeg
04-08-2014, 08:49 PM
wow, that sounds like a ton going on! Be easy on yourself and sending hugs and P+PT that things will smooth out soon!

lmh2402
04-08-2014, 09:06 PM
hugs, mama. no wonder you're overwhelmed. I can relate to the anxiety re: losing a contract position. I recently lost mine - it was just a change in company structure and I didn't really want to adjust my set-up. It's hard to not feel productive. And it's hard to not take it personally, even when you know full well that it absolutely wasn't personal. :hug: I hope things calm down soon.

nbarrett78
04-09-2014, 09:43 AM
Wow, Hugs to you!!!! You have so much on your plate, really you should cut yourself some slack! I have 3 under the age of 5 and WOH-FT, so not as busy as you, but here is what I found that helped. My DD2 is just over 1yr and I still have the baby weight. I finally have the energy to start working out since she is sleeping through night. Give yourself time and breathing room, and maybe some new clothes just for the time being. Sleep helps my outlook significantly, so maybe work on getting more sleep at night? I went to bed right after the kids went down while I was getting up 2 to 3 times a night, just so I was not so cranky. And my husband still had to let me sleep in on weekends to recover!
Have you thought about a preschool, parttime for your 2.5yr? Mine go to a church preschool, MWF 9 to 1. So helps with sanity, plus for my DS, it helps with behavior. He was better about listening and being patient.
Good luck finding some good nuggets of advice that work for you!

Mopey
04-09-2014, 01:11 PM
Hugs to you mama. I only have one two year old but with running my own business I do know what you mean about the overwhelmed, not great interactions and not having the time to set-up and clean-up. Miss Mopey has a major thing for finger painting though, so what I have done this winter is suck it up and set her up but for a reason: I cut out big pink hearts she went crazy on to send for Valentine's day (so proud, I am never this crafty mom!) and then more finger painting on a stack of blank cards to use as thank you notes (both have been huge hits with the receivers)!! Anyway, maybe just an idea for you - arts with a purpose - maybe pictures for relatives? Every one my nieces and nephews have sent is on the fridge and we love them! ETA: And I totally get it about the money; of course you miss it. No brainer.

And as for the weight....sigh. I always thought it wouldn't matter getting pregnant since I've always been a big girl. Mopey is two and I haven't even lost half of it (damned SPD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and I can't believe how my more-jiggly belly annoys me. I am walking for health and will deal with the actual scale when I can. Being very nice to myself about it and availing myself of the cheap sales at Old Navy. You wouldn't believe how a dark pair of jeans that fit can make every morning better.

I am sending you mountains of good juju that things start improving :) :hug: