PDA

View Full Version : Master bath renovation

Twoboos
04-09-2014, 04:14 PM
So we're redoing the Master bath (carpeting be GONE!). We are debating tub or no tub. There is a tub in the kid's bathroom.

I never, ever take a bath. DH has taken a bath once since we've lived here, and probably like 6 times since we've been married (15 years). But he really wants a tub "just in case." One he can stretch out in - he's 6'2". The contractor said no one does tubs anymore. They are just not putting them in, but doing really nice showers, with jets, etc..

If you were renovating or building a master bath, would you do a tub? <poll coming>

JBaxter
04-09-2014, 04:17 PM
I like to soak sometimes. I would NOT to a jucuzzi tub just a big soaking tub. Our master is downstairs an sometimes I stick Jack in it and fold clothes on my bed at night.

BunnyBee
04-09-2014, 04:25 PM
If you never use the tub, put in a kick-butt shower. When we redid ours, I replaced the weird little tub with a long, deep soaker, but I love baths. If you have room for a tub and a nice, walk-in, separate shower, what about a Japanese soaker style?

DualvansMommy
04-09-2014, 04:31 PM
i was in exact same boat as you 5 years ago when we re-did our master bath. the old bathroom was reallllllly small with just very small old shower stall and a toilet that's barely there when we bought our house 8 years old, and knew it was the first big project we needed to do.

our contractor told us the same thing you were told that tubs are slowly fading out, especially the big ass tubs taking up wasted space, and asked us honestly if we really would use our tub often if we put one in. We lived in a 2 bedroom condo prior moving here and our condo master bath had a very nice big soaking tub but hubby never used it…maybe twice in his 12 years of owning it and me only using it 3 times or so in the 6 years i've lived there. That answered our question so we just put in a largestall with a bench seat and rainforest stall, etc. Never regretted it! so if space is an issue for your bathroom, skip the tub especially if you already have a good tub in your other upstairs bath like we do.

Kindra178
04-09-2014, 04:31 PM
The trend is huge, fancy showers. I am a bath person so that wouldn't work for me. When we redo our master bath, I will rip out the jacuzzi tub and put in a stand alone soaking tub with feet.

HannaAddict
04-09-2014, 04:33 PM
For resale, if that is a concern at all, do a tub too. I'd still do as nice and large a shower as you have room for, but if there is also room for a separate tub (not a tub/shower combo), do the tub. We looked at several houses, expensive, where people had redone master baths and taken out the tub. Even though we don't soak in it all the time, it made us think the house shouldn't be priced as high without even having a tub. And though we don't use it ourselves all the time (I do soak with Epsom salts when I'm being good and going to the gym!), our kids use it, one or two in the tub, and the other one or two in the huge shower we have. We ended up buying a house that had a huge shower (5 feet at least with multiple shower heads), and a large soaking tub. No jets, i would never put in a jacuzzi tub. They just break and you can never ever get them clean. But love having the shower and huge tub. Our house also has it's own water heater (constant recirc) and that is key. Our friends built a huge fancy house and put in crazy showers and went cheap on the water heater and can't use their shower or fill their tub without running out of hot water pretty instantly. The wife isn't happy! Something I hadn't thought about, but ours came with master having own water heater and I would add one if I was redoing a bath (it doesn't take up much room in my husband's walk in closet and is hidden behind the door on the wall). Our vacation house also has master tub and separate shower and dedicated water heater, and it is something I would budget in as the cool showers do take more water.

ETA This assumes you have room for both.

westwoodmom04
04-09-2014, 04:33 PM
We have just a very large shower in our master bath (multiple shower heads and bench) and I really miss the bath. I will not buy another house without a tub in the master bath, so for resale alone, I would put one in.

cono0507
04-09-2014, 04:36 PM
We are not planning to put a tub in our master remodel. There are two other tubs in the house and we have a hot tub on our back patio. DH has never taken a bath in the 15 years we've been married. I only use the tub for relaxing, maybe 2-3 x per year and personally, I'll just use the hot tub and save that space in the bathroom for other parts of the remodel.

SnuggleBuggles
04-09-2014, 04:48 PM
I'd be bummed if I were house shopping and the master didn't have a tub. I love baths.

Indianamom2
04-09-2014, 04:58 PM
I think the only reason I would insist on a tub is if there was a decent chance that you will be selling the house in the next few years, especially if there are no other tubs. While I enjoy a nice hot bubble bath, I can't remember the last time I took one and honestly, the huge fancy shower with a seat appeals a lot more right now.

WatchingThemGrow
04-09-2014, 06:52 PM
I would put in a tub. We replaced a smallish shower with a smallish shower, and I wish we could've gone with a tub. Relaxing in my kids' bath is just not the same... And I'm gonna do it for the second time today as soon as they are asleep. (I'm sick, want to feel better,)

essnce629
04-09-2014, 08:55 PM
I love my super long jetted tub! I go in spurts where I take a bath every night for weeks! Lots of candles, my tea, and my laptop! I catch up on all my shows in the bath!!! Love it!

hillview
04-09-2014, 09:52 PM
we don't have one. we don't have a ton of space for one but when we renovated if we wanted one we could have sorted it out. Personally I don't take baths nor does DH and the kids have a bath tub down the hall if someone needs a tub (accident or something).

specialp
04-09-2014, 10:33 PM
I think the resale point is a good one. No tubs might be the trend, but it would turn some buyers away if there is a chance you would need to sell in the future. Our first house only had a shower and the tub in the other was standard size which my super tall DH could never fit in. A large soaker tub was a must for us. I would have been fine if it was not in the master, but most soaker tubs will be. Is there another tub in your house? Are you certain to stay put?

almostamom
04-09-2014, 10:42 PM
We looked at nearly 100 homes when we were thinking of moving last year. Every single one of them in the area we were looking in had a master tub. In the neighborhood I grew up in, no one had a master tub. I have used ours exactly one time in 11 years, but DH and DS use it every night (one if them is in it right now!). We do have a tub in the guest bath, but it doesn't get used as often. I'd get the opinion of a realtor who knows your area well before making the decision. They are going to know better than a contractor if people are willing to buy a house without a master tub.

hwin708
04-10-2014, 02:11 AM
Well, I regularly take baths, so a tub is a necessity for me.

But in your situation - it depends on a variety of factors. What are the options? Is it a smallish shower and a separate giant tub, versus giant shower and no tub? In which case, do you think you need the giant shower any more than you need the giant tub? Or is the alternative a shower/tub combo (in which case, no. I would just do the shower. Even if there were a single day in the future when your husband had a hankering for a soak, that would still not outweigh the daily convenience of just walking right into a shower.and turning on the chest high mounted shower handle). How big is the kids' tub? Big enough for an adult, just not big enough for a tall guy to stretch out? I mean, I understand the impulse to not bet against future wants and desires, but in this fictitious future where he sees him taking the occasional bath, does he really see it being that big a deal that he couldn't real stretch out in his once a year soak?

Personally, resale would be a nonissue for me. If there were no other tubs in the house, yes, I would consider it. Given that you have a tub, the issue is just that you may alienate some buyers who want a tub in the master bath. But you could just as easily alienate buyers who want a big walk-in shower. So do what works for you.

123LuckyMom
04-10-2014, 07:41 AM
Your contractor is right, the trend is for huge showers and no tub, but it's a TREND, and it's always better, if possible, not to follow trends too closely or your house will look dated much sooner.

If you have space to do both a decent sized shower and a soaker tub, do it, and make sure you put a handheld shower with the tub.

If by putting in a tub you will have to have a tiny shower or will have to have a tub/shower combination, skip the tub. The shower is what most people use, and you have another tub in the house.

I would never buy a house without a tub in the Master or the potential to put one in, and it would be a renovation I would want to do right away, so it would influence how much I was willing to pay for the house. Many people do not feel the same, but you don't want to limit yourself on resale if you don't have to. If you have the space, do the tub, but make sure the shower is a decent size. If you have to choose, the shower is more important.

pastrygirl
04-10-2014, 08:36 AM
I have one and it's just a HUGE waste of space. I'd much rather have a bigger shower and more closet space. But, my tub takes absolutely forever to fill (30-40 minutes). By the time it's ready, I'm over the once-yearly urge to take a bath.

khalloc
04-10-2014, 09:58 AM
We have a master bath. It has a large tub with jets. Its nice to have when you want to take a bath. DH loves baths. I dont take them as much. If I had to choose one, I would do a nicer shower. but if you have room for a separate tub I would recommend that too!

MaiseyDog
04-10-2014, 11:03 AM
We have a large jetted tub that I dream about ripping out and replacing with a non-jetted soaking tub, but I would absolutely never take it out completely. I go through spurts of taking baths, but use the tub a ton for other things - washing the dog, filling the dogs water bottle for the waterer (http://www.petsmart.com/dog/bowls-feeders/petmate-replendish-pet-waterer-zid36-6693/cat-36-catid-100010;pgid=WRZiA7wqEvdSRpVOZMjT35n900000sMIIPCv;s id=HMewSWc2BJu1STRwrVIiTf88O2v7XECaV9IAej0K?var_id =36-6693&_t=pfm%3Dcategory), cleaning coolers, etc. Heck I even thawed the thanksgiving turkey in a container sitting in the tub so I could change the water frequently. For us a tub is essential. I really think unless this is your forever home, then thinking about resale is important. If your neighborhood is the type to attract families, a tub may really be a make or break issue. It certainly would be for us.

WatchingThemGrow
04-10-2014, 01:29 PM
Seems like there is some argument for a tub, just not the oversized, jetted type since they use more water than can be easily heated, and jets can get funky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twoboos
04-10-2014, 02:06 PM
Thanks for all the feedback - I am kind of surprised so many people are in favor of a tub! I was anti-tub, but your responses are swaying me. And DH was pro-tub, but now he's leaning toward no tub/giant shower. (Story of our life, always on opposite pages.) We have room for both (have both now, nasty smallish fiberglass standup shower and giant 2 person corner jacuzzi which we've never used), but without a tub I feel like the shower will be like ridiculously big.

If we did do a tub I'd probably do a soaker with air bubble jets (instead of jacuzzi). But MAN those things are expensive.

We really need to decide. FTR, we plan to be in this house at least 10-15 more years, so we're in for the long term.

123LuckyMom
04-10-2014, 02:11 PM
Rip out the huge tub and put in a larger shower and a deep soaker tub. You don't need the bubbles or a two person size.

HannaAddict
04-10-2014, 02:27 PM
Rip out the huge tub and put in a larger shower and a deep soaker tub. You don't need the bubbles or a two person size.

Agree, don't do bubbles. Keep it simple, just a nice tub. And a huge shower is awesome. We thought it was insane when we bought our house and are now used to it and love it! Just make sure it has a ledge too.

SnuggleBuggles
04-10-2014, 02:37 PM
Agree. Just get a plain tub. Lower cost, less likely to cost pricey repairs...

BunnyBee
04-10-2014, 02:49 PM
Thanks for all the feedback - I am kind of surprised so many people are in favor of a tub! I was anti-tub, but your responses are swaying me. And DH was pro-tub, but now he's leaning toward no tub/giant shower. (Story of our life, always on opposite pages.) We have room for both (have both now, nasty smallish fiberglass standup shower and giant 2 person corner jacuzzi which we've never used), but without a tub I feel like the shower will be like ridiculously big.

If we did do a tub I'd probably do a soaker with air bubble jets (instead of jacuzzi). But MAN those things are expensive.

We really need to decide. FTR, we plan to be in this house at least 10-15 more years, so we're in for the long term.

If you're getting a soaker tub, get heated backs. Ours has those and air jets, but it wasn't any more expensive than without the jets. The heated backs are amazing. The water stays warm forever! :)

american_mama
04-10-2014, 05:43 PM
I voted don't do a tub and we are facing the same question, but with different parameters. I don't know what to make of the responses, but for us, I think we're set on no tub. The reason is we have a 1965 ranch house with the smallest full master bath you can have. It is like 5'x7' feet, just the width of the small tub with enough room for a toilet and 24" vanity and nothing else. There is no room to have anything other than a small tub/shower combo or a bigger, nicer shower only, so we are choosing the second option. We also hope it will make the bathroom look a little more spacious. The hall bath has a tub. I think we might move in the next few years, but no one is going to consider our house (or neighborhood) if they are looking for all the most current housing options. Houses in our neighborhood have either no master bath, a half master bath (which is like a tease), or a very small master bath like ours.

crayonblue
04-10-2014, 05:45 PM
I never, ever take a bath (except when I was pregnant and suddenly wanted to soak every day!) but I too would vote for a super great shower and a separate tub. Too many people are tub lovers to do away with a tub all together.

123LuckyMom
04-10-2014, 06:13 PM
I voted don't do a tub and we are facing the same question, but with different parameters. I don't know what to make of the responses, but for us, I think we're set on no tub. The reason is we have a 1965 ranch house with the smallest full master bath you can have. It is like 5'x7' feet, just the width of the small tub with enough room for a toilet and 24" vanity and nothing else. There is no room to have anything other than a small tub/shower combo or a bigger, nicer shower only, so we are choosing the second option. We also hope it will make the bathroom look a little more spacious. The hall bath has a tub. I think we might move in the next few years, but no one is going to consider our house (or neighborhood) if they are looking for all the most current housing options. Houses in our neighborhood have either no master bath, a half master bath (which is like a tease), or a very small master bath like ours.

If you have to choose, as you do, it's better to do the shower so long as there is a tub elsewhere in the house. Most people would rather have a large shower than a tub/shower combination in the Master. If there's not room for a separate tub and shower, do the shower alone. It's definitely the right choice. The OP has room, though, so I think she should put in a tub as well.

SnuggleBuggles
04-10-2014, 06:50 PM
It must really depend on the price level of houses and clients. Here, shower/ tub combos are the norm, totally fine, expected and not looked down upon. I think it's best to consider the neighborhood and who potential future buyers are.

123LuckyMom
04-10-2014, 07:41 PM
It must really depend on the price level of houses and clients. Here, shower/ tub combos are the norm, totally fine, expected and not looked down upon. I think it's best to consider the neighborhood and who potential future buyers are.

Absolutely!!! You never want to over improve your house for the neighborhood.

theriviera
04-10-2014, 09:40 PM
In our area, no one does the tub/shower combo in the master bath. In our last house, we opted to not put a tub in the master as it was either tub/shower or one big awesome shower. We did the awesome shower and our house sold last years in 3 days, 25% over asking.

We also built our current house but we had the room to do both. We have a separate, free standing tub which has not been used once since we moved in 9 months ago. But I like the way it looks :)