PDA

View Full Version : Landlord issues- mold, water

nfowife
04-10-2014, 08:32 AM
I posted previously about a leak in the finished basement bedroom of our rented house. We are now about 11 days from the original leak (had another one 2 days after the first). We are very concerned about mold. The room is completely empty and I am going to seal it off with plastic sheeting today as we are sleeping in an adjacent room (the flooded room was our bedroom).
The LL uses a handyman to do repairs and he has communicated to us the the LL has done a few things that are deeply disturbing to him. 1) told him not to mention the word "mold" to us. 2) did not want him to remove all the damaged drywall though he felt it was necessary. As a result, there is still wet drywall in the room (wet and disintegrating) at this time.

I feel that LL would (if he could) just throw up some new drywall in the small area it has been removed from, slap some cheap carpet in there and let us go right back into the room. Today we are sending him a certified letter (though we have been in regular communication, just want to COA with the notification letter) requesting mold inspection before any repairs are complete. Also requesting a rent reduction for loss of use, reimbursement for electricity costs due to the dehumidifier and new sump pump constantly running, purchase of storage items for our displaced things (he had our furniture moved out of the house).
We are also looking for another place to live, which is very hard to find at this time of year in our small college town. If we can move it will likely not be until June. I am not sure how easily he will let us out of the lease, so the letter is also to have documented proof of a request for repairs which gives him 14 days to do the fix.
I have had it with being nice and flexible and understanding. I have documented all of our communication going back to the first water issue with the basement in January (different window).
Anything else I need to do?

boilermakermom
04-10-2014, 08:44 AM
Ensure mold inspection is completed by a certified, competent company. Avoid the passive tests sold at Lowe's, Menards, etc. I have seen several LL's use these and pass them off to tenants to give ensure mold growth is gone.

westwoodmom04
04-10-2014, 12:39 PM
I posted previously about a leak in the finished basement bedroom of our rented house. We are now about 11 days from the original leak (had another one 2 days after the first). We are very concerned about mold. The room is completely empty and I am going to seal it off with plastic sheeting today as we are sleeping in an adjacent room (the flooded room was our bedroom).
The LL uses a handyman to do repairs and he has communicated to us the the LL has done a few things that are deeply disturbing to him. 1) told him not to mention the word "mold" to us. 2) did not want him to remove all the damaged drywall though he felt it was necessary. As a result, there is still wet drywall in the room (wet and disintegrating) at this time.

I feel that LL would (if he could) just throw up some new drywall in the small area it has been removed from, slap some cheap carpet in there and let us go right back into the room. Today we are sending him a certified letter (though we have been in regular communication, just want to COA with the notification letter) requesting mold inspection before any repairs are complete. Also requesting a rent reduction for loss of use, reimbursement for electricity costs due to the dehumidifier and new sump pump constantly running, purchase of storage items for our displaced things (he had our furniture moved out of the house).
We are also looking for another place to live, which is very hard to find at this time of year in our small college town. If we can move it will likely not be until June. I am not sure how easily he will let us out of the lease, so the letter is also to have documented proof of a request for repairs which gives him 14 days to do the fix.
I have had it with being nice and flexible and understanding. I have documented all of our communication going back to the first water issue with the basement in January (different window).
Anything else I need to do?

Honestly, replacing drywall/wet insulation and carpet are the key parts of the process. The only other thing they do to deter mold is spray strong disinfectant on the affected areas, that should not be expensive.