PDA

View Full Version : Any seamstresses out there? Need help with fitting DS's First Communion suit...

gatorsmom
04-10-2014, 11:53 AM
DS2 is having his first communion in a month. As luck would have it, his older brother's suit fits well except in the length of the suit jacket. The jacket is too long, IMO, and the sleeve definitely are.

I plan to have them tailored but I just need to know how long they should be. When he is standing still and upright, the jacket comes about 2-3 inches below his bum. And the sleeves are at the bottom of his palms (where they join the fingers). I was thinking the sleeves looked good pinned up to the biggest knuckle of his thumb. That puts the edges of the sleeves in the middle of his palms. Is that still too long?

If it makes a difference, the jacket is a three button jacket so the lapels are a bit shorter than a 2 button jacket.

Gosh I hope this makes sense to someone....TIA!

dcmom2b3
04-10-2014, 09:26 PM
I think biggest knuckle of the thumb is probably still a little long, if I'm understanding this correctly. I wouldn't go longer than just past the wrist bone. Jacket length should be middle of the hand. This has good illustrations: http://www.artofmanliness.com/2013/09/25/good-fitted-suit-visual/

As for shortening the hem of the jacket -- take this with a grain of salt, b/c it's been YEARS since I've sewed, but I think that if the jacket front has a curved hem at the front closure, it could be an expensive bear of an alteration, if it's possible at all. Here's hoping that the hem is straight!

daniele_ut
04-10-2014, 09:38 PM
Yes, that would be too long. Honestly, I would take it in to the tailor and let them pin it for you. A good tailor that works on men's suits all the time will be able to show you how it should fit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk