PDA

View Full Version : Please help me diagnose DD

Dream
04-10-2014, 12:06 PM
DD is 3 years old. About 2 weeks ago she was diagnosed with Strep. The test at the urgent care center was negative but they called after 4 days to say the lab test came positive and she was put on amoxicillin. DD's been complaining of a sore throat since monday, yesterday she had her well visit appointment. While waiting for the doctor to come in I noticed few bumps forming in her hand. I mentioned to the doctor and he looked but didn't comment on it so I didn't think much of it. He confirmed the sore throat, no meds since its a virus, tested for Strep, it was negative. Don't know the results of the lab test yet. She had a mild fever on Tuesday 100.2 I gave tylenol to make her comfortable, I usually don't medicate for a low grade fever. She hasn't been sleeping well since Sunday.

While putting her to bed I noticed the bumps are now well formed and red, seems more than before. I checked her whole body but there was none. Today in the morning, I noticed there's more bumps on her leg, a lot more and all over her legs. Meanwhile she hasn't had any food since Monday, she wants to eat, takes one bite and cries her throat is hurting. I gave her some ice cream and she was fine with that. Her doctor said to give her ices for the sore throat. She's miserable, and she generally not a complainer.

My first thought was its chickenpox. If not what could this be? We're leaving for Disney on Monday and I'm trying to figure out whether we should cancel. Here's couple of pictures I took yesterday night.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j163/CoinAlbum/C75FA57A-021B-4050-88FA-AA3E9FA6C387-2610-00000D18B0C09DC2_zps3d4addc7.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j163/CoinAlbum/03104976-DEAB-4634-987E-04BED2B13E96-2610-00000D1879334ADF_zpsbcb02e55.jpg

Mommy_Mea
04-10-2014, 12:13 PM
Sounds like hand foot and mouth to me...

When DS2 had it, he barely ate because his mouth hurt from the cold sores, and eventually he got the rash on his bottom. He didn't sleep well either because he was so uncomfortable.

Kymberley
04-10-2014, 12:14 PM
HFM? I'm pretty sure DS had it around the end of last year. It looked like strep in his throat, little red and some white bumps all over. Then the palms of his and and soles of his feet had red bumps that eventually peeled. He was sickly for 2 days, maybe 3 before he was eating normally again.

ETA: your pics look exactly like what DS had. We never got a firm diagnosis, but he lost his fingernails afterwards which just solidified in my mind that it was HFM.

Tondi G
04-10-2014, 02:48 PM
Hand Foot and Mouth. My DS didn't get sores in his mouth but he did get them on his toes. Our neighbors DD had it BAD .. fever, sores in mouth and throat, hands and feet. You or your older child could come down with it next.

cvanbrunt
04-10-2014, 02:57 PM
This happened to my 8 yo in March. Strep with a course of abx followed by a viral rash. According to the PA, it isn't uncommon.

Dream
04-10-2014, 03:03 PM
Thanks, I looked up HFM online, so the good thing is it's not something to be worried about but the bad news is it's highly contagious which worries me due to the upcoming trip. And I spoke with DH and we can't even cancel since there's another family that's going on this road trip with us.

OKKiddo
04-10-2014, 06:34 PM
Sounds like hand foot and mouth to me...

When DS2 had it, he barely ate because his mouth hurt from the cold sores, and eventually he got the rash on his bottom. He didn't sleep well either because he was so uncomfortable.

That is hand foot and mouth. It's identical to the milder reaction that DS1 had. DS2 had it bad (and had it before DS1). We tried the benadryl/tylenol/motrin route so that he could sleep on night one but it was still a miserable night. We went to a herbal/health food store and they recommended using Arnica Gel (or Arnica Oil) externally, taking Arnica internally, and liquid melatonin to aid in sleeping. We were also told that it was still safe to take the tylenol and motrin at the same time. We gave tylenol and he slept through the entire night without pain or movement. Since that experience we've always had arnica tablets, arnica gel and oil, and melaltonin in the house. I know I've mentioned this stuff on the board before but they really work.

daisysmom
04-10-2014, 09:03 PM
Looks exactly like hand, foot and mouth. My dd got it when she was 3-4 snd same exact, wouldn't eat, fever,Mysore throat,mand the bumps. It is a virus. But it sounds like she is nearly at the end. I would think that she will be bsckntinherself in a fee days snd be fine at Disney.

Dream
04-11-2014, 11:51 AM
Thank you everyone. Her pediatrician confirmed its HFM, no meds except Motrin to make her comfortable. She woke up screaming so I gave a her does and she slept better, first time in the last 4 nights. She did eat a little bit yesterday and washed in the morning without complains so I'm assuming she's feeling a little better. I think she'll be better by Monday and keeping my fingers crossed that my ODD or other family members doesn't catch it.

Kymberley
04-11-2014, 12:06 PM
FWIW, DH and I snuggled with DS on the couch the entire time he had HFM, and neither one of us caught it. I hope that's the case for your family as well!

Mommy_Mea
04-11-2014, 12:31 PM
When ds2 had it, neither dh nor I came down with it, and ds1 only ended up with a mild case. I hope she is on the mend, and you have a great trip!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk