PDA

View Full Version : More sleep problems!

petesgirl
04-11-2014, 04:15 AM
DS has been coming in to our bed in the middle of the night lately and I have noticed that he is SO active and restless in his sleep! It drives me nuts to be in the same bed as him because he is all over the place all night. We had his tonsils and adenoids out in january and I thought that would have solved the problem but it hasn't.
What else could be the culprit, causing him to not sleep well??

hillview
04-11-2014, 07:27 AM
is he falling asleep himself or do you have to be with him? Could it be that he has trouble falling back asleep without you?

georgiegirl
04-11-2014, 07:42 AM
My son is the SAME! And he had his T&A out in October. I know DS has low ferritin (which can sometimes cause restless leg syndrome), so we are giving him floradix and I'm also giving him natural calm. I think some kids are just more restless sleepers. DS isn't in bed with me, but I hear him banging into the wall.

Simon
04-11-2014, 08:04 AM
T&A removal will not cure sleep apnea in all kids as I have learned recently. Sometimes there is tissue regrowth and other times there are additional causes of obstruction. We're currently going through re-evaluation and a new sleep study. In the meantime, Singulair has been shown to help in cases of OSA. My Ds was on Singulair for asthma and then taken off because he was breathing so much better but it made his nightwaking so much worse. In our case we didn't realize that it might be treating his OSA. We just restarted singulair and the improvement is amazing. He was waking nearly every night between 11 pm and 3 am and sometimes multiple times a night. Since re-starting he has woken just twice and always after 5 am for a specific reason (potty, hungry).
Another thought would be congestion from allergies or a viral/bacterial infection. One of my kids has had a lot of trouble with restless sleep and waking up very early related to sinus infections and congestion. He does not have a runny nose at all, no fever, no day time coughing, but its all going down his throat at night and causing breathing problems, coughing, and waking him up. A long course of antibiotics fixed it pretty quickly and sinus rinses seem to be helping too.

malphy
04-11-2014, 10:29 AM
my daughter is the same way and she had a sleep study. Did not need surgery but is on iron for restless leg and during allergy season she takes nasonex.

petesgirl
04-11-2014, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the ideas! I'll get his iron tested. We did a sleep when he was 9 months old and ill try anything before going through that again.