PDA

View Full Version : Help with pantry organization

geochick
04-11-2014, 10:41 AM
I'm ready to empty my kitchen pantry and start from scratch - everything gets lost in my deep pantry. Can you recommend a pantry organization system that you love? My pantry has a full door and enough room for one person to step in and close the door. It's in the corner of my kitchen so it has shelves on two sides that meet at the corner. The shelves are very deep, and I lose everything. I'm looking at The Container Store, but before I jump in, I'd like to know if there's one system that's better than another.

What do you love in your pantry? Hate? Anyone use Elfa?

TIA

petesgirl
04-11-2014, 11:32 AM
My pantry is the same way! I'll be watching for ideas.

One thing I have done is buy baskets to hold similar items(pasta in one, rice/grains in one, cooking supplies in one etc)
And I have a designated space for condiments.

hillview
04-11-2014, 12:01 PM
we have elfa and love it. I use the multipurpose bins in the pantry (labeled) it works very well.

link to some photos post 15 and 52 have photos of the pantry
http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?433943-Kitchen-reno-rave-More-kitchen-after-photos-in-52/page6&highlight=kitchen
http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?433943-Kitchen-reno-rave-More-kitchen-after-photos-in-52/page2&highlight=kitchen

My pantry is about the same size, I can just about fit into it when I close the door.

geochick
04-11-2014, 01:33 PM
Thanks! I really love the over-door rack. It add so much space for smaller items!

calebsmama03
04-11-2014, 02:06 PM
Mine is similar to hillview- corner pantry, as well. I have a bunch of ikea containers (the tall clear ones with the white top, similar to her pic) for things like pasta, quinoa, plain oats, popcorn kernals, goldfish type crackers, etc. I also have a combination of the CS multipurpose bins holding my canned goods and bottled stuff (one each for oils/vinegars, can tomatoes, can beans, soups, bottled condiments and sauces, paper products- we don't use much paper so it all fits in a medium bin) and a few rectangular baskets with things like coffee, tea, baking supplies, extra boxes of pasta not already in canisters. I have gallon glass cracker jars for flour (GF and non), sugar, rice. I put all spices that I use a lot of into mason jars (cinnamon, baking powder, soda, chili powder, cumin) because random sized jars or spices make me batty and because I buy a lot of those in bulk so they're just in plastic bags. I have a plastic turntable from walmart that houses regular size spice jars on the bottom and the mason jars on top.I have a few large multipurpose bins on the floor to corral my Pamela's GF mix bags, one for potatoes and one for Onions. I'll try to get a few pics later but I'm really not sure how to post pics here - been "here" 10 years and almost never do pics! lol Hope this gives you some ideas of things you can do though.

I don' thave a handy dandy labeler ;) so I ordered some vinyl words on etsy for my large jars that always house the same thing and then have a stockpile of chalkboard labels for the others and I keep a chalk pen in a drawer nearby to label jars. For some jars I painted the lids with black chalk paint so I could label right there (and because I re-purposed a few jars from pasta sauce, etc and wanted a little uniformity. ;)

echoesofspring
04-11-2014, 02:54 PM
I added some of these a couple years ago and they have been super handy for corralling things & making more use out of the space since most things in our pantry aren't as tall as the shelves are:
http://www.containerstore.com/shop/kitchen/pantryOrganizers/shelfOrganizers?productId=10008033&N=74108

lhafer
04-11-2014, 03:03 PM
I totally redid my pantry a couple of years ago with Elfa shelving and couldn't be happier with it!! Totally worth it. I don't loose stuff anymore. It's all organized, and I can see when I'm running low on stuff. I pictures of the make over on here somewhere - I think the cleaning forum.

ETA: I found the thread where I posted pics of my pantry before and after. Maybe it can give you some ideas. http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?423733-Redid-my-pantry-this-weekend&highlight=pantry

geochick
04-11-2014, 06:16 PM
The pictures really help. Thanks! Honestly, I don't care how much this project costs. I just can't handle the deep, black pit anymore.

gobadgers
04-11-2014, 09:07 PM
Our pantry has especially deep shelves also, and I've had good luck with Binz. They are really long and come in different heights. They slide easily (but don't have gliders or anything), are clear so you can see in them, and are really sturdy. Costco had a variety pack of different heights that I bought a couple years ago, but I've since bought more at Container Store and Bed Bath and Beyond.