PDA

View Full Version : romantic love and 10 year old boys

Reader
04-11-2014, 06:31 PM
I don't remember going through a "boys are icky" phase, but my 10 year old DS is anti anything that has to do with romantic love...doesn't want to watch movies centered on romantic love (like Cinderella) or listen to songs that he perceives to be about romantic love. Does this resonate with anyone who has similar aged boys? I am tired of censoring my radio songs because of his narrow range of acceptable songs. Trying to decide if this is a developmentally appropriate phase or something else.

elektra
04-11-2014, 06:36 PM
Seems completely normal to me!

Reader
04-11-2014, 06:39 PM
Thanks, maybe I should elaborate. He recently refused to practice a piano piece he'd been assigned by his teacher (he likes practicing in general) because it was about romantic love. Still normal?

maestramommy
04-11-2014, 07:38 PM
Thanks, maybe I should elaborate. He recently refused to practice a piano piece he'd been assigned by his teacher (he likes practicing in general) because it was about romantic love. Still normal?

Is this a pop song? I'd just ask the teacher to pick another song.

brittone2
04-11-2014, 07:43 PM
Yeah, I can confidently say my 10 yo is exactly the same. He listens to his mp3 player in the car when my musical selection is unacceptable, which is frequently lol.

hellokitty
04-11-2014, 07:49 PM
That's completely normal for that age group.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Reader
04-11-2014, 07:49 PM
Glad it's not just me. I changed the lyrics to the pop song and he will now practice it. Teacher is on notice now not to assign any love songs. :)

maestramommy
04-11-2014, 08:00 PM
Glad it's not just me. I changed the lyrics to the pop song and he will now practice it. Teacher is on notice now not to assign any love songs. :)

Ha ha ha ha! As a former piano teacher I would only teach a pop song if the student begged for it.