PDA

View Full Version : Do you have friends who want to borrow clothes?

sweetsue98
04-12-2014, 06:24 PM
I have a girlfriend who frequently ask if she can borrow clothes. I'm not talking about going to a special event such as a wedding and need something to wear. I'm talking about going to easter brunch with her family or work outing. She usually looking for a plain shirt that is no different than what she has in her own closet. My roommates and I use to borrow each other stuff all the time in college but as I've "aged" I'm just not into anymore. I don't have a good excuses except I don't like it. Does everyone borrow/lend clothes? What's a polite way to tell her?

BunnyBee
04-12-2014, 06:32 PM
No. I guess I'd laugh it off and say, "Oh, I haven't lent out clothes since college" hahaha...

California
04-12-2014, 07:13 PM
No, not typical in my circle either. Did she grow up with a lot of sisters and maybe thinks of you as family? Otherwise, odd! ETA: I'm not sure how I'd respond if caught off guard with that question. Try PP response or maybe an honest, "Wow! I'm flattered you like that shirt, I don't lend out clothes but I'm happy to tell you where I got it."

MelissaTC
04-12-2014, 07:20 PM
No. My friend and I will borrow accessories or shoes (for special events).

ckso
04-12-2014, 07:36 PM
My roommate who was also my best friend used to borrow clothes all the time but that was when we were roommates. Now, I can't imagine that happening unless it was for a special occasion

Does she live really near you or visit you a lot? What does she do? Does she just goes in your closet and say "can I borrow this?"

Logistically I would think it's a bigger inconvenience to borrow clothes for everyday wear than it is to just buy it. And it's just odd

If she ask I would say "oops, I'm way behind in my laundry so I don't have anything to lend out"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikala
04-12-2014, 08:43 PM
My friends might borrow a costume necklace for a wedding or a disco dress for a 70s theme party but we don't exchange everyday stuff.

mackmama
04-12-2014, 08:49 PM
At this age - no.

TwinFoxes
04-12-2014, 09:16 PM
I lent a colleague a dress for an awards show. It's been years before or since. (I offered, she didn't ask). What you're describing is unusual. I'd just say "no, sorry".

AJP
04-12-2014, 09:34 PM
No. Not since college age. My sister, SIL and I may borrow a dress or accessory, but it's usually for a special occasion and maybe once every few years.
I will lend something to cousins/sister/SIL if we're all at the family beach town and heading someplace unexpected (I tend to keep a largish wardrobe there).
I really can't imagine any friends asking at this age/stage in our lives.

sweetsue98
04-12-2014, 10:21 PM
I seriously adore this friend but I can't stand the clothing thing. She doesn't have sisters. The first couple of times it caught me off guard so I said yes. Then it just escalated from there so now I make up an excuse. I'm 34 years old and I'm done with lending clothes so I just need to tell her!

lalasmama
04-12-2014, 10:36 PM
My BFF has offered. The college comments kind of made me laugh, because there's a 10-year age gap between me and BFF, which puts her at the "barely out of college had she gone" age range.

Typically, it's when I need a pair of pants or something specific. I've gained weight, and we're in the same size on the bottom, so if I say I need to go to the store to look for x, she'll offer it up if she has it. Now, despite the offering, I have never actually borrowed! It just seems "weird" to me. Humorously, my mom and I used to borrow back and forth when she was alive... but again, it was special things, not everyday wear.

I've offered for my older DSDs as well, but only for special occasions (like when I want us all to coordinate, and they don't have something that will work). More times than not, though, in that case, I just go shopping with them, and we pick something out together.

specialp
04-12-2014, 10:52 PM
You could frame it as you are fine to lend things for special occasions like a wedding, a costume party, etc, but you need to count on your everyday wear being there when/if needed. If something isn’t in my closet, I can barely remember if it is in the wash or left in the car. I would be up the creek if I had to also remember if it was being borrowed by someone. You just need to be able to count on your clothes being there. A special occasion dress or costume - the only 2 types of events I get asked for clothes - are things you don’t miss for a while.

crayonblue
04-13-2014, 12:44 AM
I think I would fall over if someone asked to borrow my clothes...my jeans or gap t-shirts, lol! I did have a friend ask if she could borrow my red shirt, which I was wearing. She's my best friend so that was just fine. I changed and handed it over and she wore it to a Christmas party the following day. :)

hwin708
04-13-2014, 12:49 AM
Well, I'll be the voice of dissent. I do and have lent out clothes.

I have a pretty close group of girlfriends. It's a mixed group, some married, some not, some kids, most not. And most - including those with kids - still have pretty active social lives and travel a good bit, largely due to careers. So there are lots of dressy nights out, and raiding each others closets when we "have nothing to wear" from our own. For friends who live in town, they might just text and say "Have this party to go to tonight, and everything I own makes me look my age. My REAL age. Can I swing by and raid your closet?" To which I would think nothing of saying yes. And when friends from out of town visit, they go crazy in my closet, just as I do when I visit their places.

That being said, these are my good friends. If a casual acquaintance asked to borrow my clothes, I would be a bit taken aback.

KpbS
04-13-2014, 01:02 AM
Only my sister occasionally. I was going to ask if she had a sister. Maybe she always wished for one (to borrow clothes back and forth!) and hopes to have that kind of arrangement now.

essnce629
04-13-2014, 02:09 AM
No, the last time I borrowed clothes from someone was when I was 16 and borrowed a dress from my best friend to go to a last minute party!

And no one has every asked to borrow my clothes!!! But my closet is pretty boring as my daily life revolves around driving to kid's activities, TJ's, and Target!

kara97210
04-13-2014, 02:20 AM
My first thought was no way, but then I remembered that over the holidays we had some house guests and unusually cold weather and my SIL borrowed some cold weather clothes (scarf, hat, fleece jacket). And I borrowed a scarf from my sister the last time we were there, again due to weather. I can't imagine borrowing, or lending, day to day clothes with a friend.

m4nash
04-13-2014, 10:38 AM
I've borrowed and lent out maternity clothes, but that's it. I also can't imagine lending out everyday wear.