PDA

View Full Version : S/o: are your kids the only kids in your "circle of friends" with their names?

AnnieW625
04-13-2014, 10:51 AM
Just curious.

In my circle of mom friends, family, and close friends my kids don't share a name with anyother kids who are there age.

Dd1 (Elisa) is named after her great grandma and we had decided to name her that when I was pregnant because DH wanted to name her after his Grandma who never had any granddaughters. I have one adult friend with the name, but we have not met any other kids named Elisa.

When I was pregnant with Dd2 (Lauren) I really wanted to name her Audrey, but we knew two other Audreys in our playgroup of 12 or so families. I also liked Charlotte, and Abigail but again I knew at least two kids with both of those names, and DH's cousin ended up naming his daughter Charlotte and she is two months younger than DD2. People including DH advised me against Madison or Addison because she'd definitely be a multiple name in school. I have yet to meet a Madison in our area who is under the age of 13 in my area. There is one Addison in DD1's class (but then there is also one Lauren) I know of no others.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hillview
04-13-2014, 11:00 AM
yes our boys have names that I've never met ANYONE with DS1's name and recently met one dad with a son the same name as DS2. They are historical/Shakespeare names so not made up but very rare

KpbS
04-13-2014, 11:13 AM
Yes, my kids have names from older generations, ie grandpa names, but we love it and it suits them. DS2's name has risen in popularity since he was born 6 years ago but I doubt it will ever be top 20/30/40? Not sure of the current rankings.

We don't know any others but 1 girl with DD's name, not in our circle though.

Want to hear something weird? We recently discovered a family that has identical names as me, DH, DS1, DS2, DD, and to our last name!! The last names vary by only a couple of letters (think Roberts and Robertson) and they have one more kid than we
do. These are uncommon names, too!

ha98ed14
04-13-2014, 11:25 AM
Want to hear something weird? We recently discovered a family that has identical names as me, DH, DS1, DS2, DD, and to our last name!! The last names vary by only a couple of letters (think Roberts and Robertson) and they have one more kid than we
do. These are uncommon names, too!

Wow! That is crazy! Any chance you or DH were separated from your twins at birth? You hear stories about twins separated at birth that marry women with the same name and drive the same make/model of cars.

Green_Tea
04-13-2014, 11:26 AM
My DDs don't have any friends who share their names. DD2's name is one that came up several times in the other popular names thread, but interestingly she is the only kid with that name in her entire elementary school (500+ kids).

DS's name is more popular (though not trendy or "new" like Jayden) - and the nickname he goes by works for more than one variation of the name. He has a good friend with a similar name and the same nickname.

Green_Tea
04-13-2014, 11:29 AM
[QUOTE=KpbS;3977686
do. These are uncommon names, too![/QUOTE]

That is weird! Once when I was waiting in line at CVS with the girls a mother of teenagers overheard me talking with them and realized that they had the same first names as HER girls! My oldest DD's name is not a commonly heard one at all, so it's not typical pairing of names such as Sophia and Isabella (which I have heard as siblings so often that I have come to think of them as a matched set!)

NCGrandma
04-13-2014, 11:43 AM
It's unlikely that my DGDs will encounter others with the same names. DGD1 is named after her great-grandmother, and the name barely made it into the top 100 when my mother was born. (DGD1's nickname is more common since it can be used for several names -- which may explain why she insists on using her full name except within the family.) DGD2's name is a plant (but not as common as Rosemary or Lily), and evidently hasn't been in the top 1,000 names any time in the last century. Both girls have classic middle names that they can use if they decide later they don't want to be so distinctive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

TwinFoxes
04-13-2014, 12:01 PM
One of my daughters has never met anyone with her name. It's not made up, and there are a couple of famous contemporary women with her name, but it hasn't taken off. People seem to really like it though, it's not weird. My other DD's name is around 300 on the list, which I think surprises people. It's a name that everyone has heard of, and two well known TV characters have it.

twowhat?
04-13-2014, 12:03 PM
Our kids have "old granny" names as well. We don't know anyone in our circle of friends with the same names.

basil
04-13-2014, 12:20 PM
DS is named one of the names that rhymes with Aiden. We knew it was popular/trendy when we picked it, but still really liked it. So far, he has one Aiden in his class and one of his preschool teachers just had a baby and named him Jayden. I grew up with a popular name and it just hasn't bothered me, but YMMV.

elephantmeg
04-13-2014, 12:41 PM
we have somewhat old fashioned/traditional names and I don't know of anyone else that is a peer with those names (DS is Robert and DD Mary). DS is named for my grandfather/brother and DD for DH's grandma.

sariana
04-13-2014, 12:54 PM
We have an ancient king and a sitting queen (not intentionally). We rarely run into others in their own classes with the same names. DS did have a classmate once with DD's name, but that's the closest we've come.

My DC do like to look for their names on movie credits. DS's name always appears multiple times, so it was common a generation or so ago, I guess. DD rarely finds her name even though it is a traditional name that used to be top 10. I know that's partly that there just aren't as many women in the film industry, but even when there are lots of female names, hers rarely appears.

hellokitty
04-13-2014, 01:04 PM
DS1 and DS2 have very traditional, biblical (we are not religious) names. Oddly, we rarely run into anyone with their names. The few that we have, are not friends that we hang out with, very random, and mostly the ones we know are college aged or my age for DS1's name, which is just weird, b/c his name was a top 5 name for his age group and he is the ONLY kid in his grade with his name at his school (about 140 kids in his grade at his school). As far as I know, DS2 has NO kids at his school with his name (1000 students), we've met one kid at martial arts in the school district next to us with DS2's name and one kid at church who is college aged with his name.

DS3 has a different name and so far I have not met anyone with his name, yet, knock-on-wood.

lmh2402
04-13-2014, 01:11 PM
we've encountered a few people that have DS' name, but not many and none that we actually know. i've heard there's a boy in our town that is 2 years younger that has his name.

I've not met anyone with DD's name. our pedi told us she has one other patient who is in her early teens that has the same name.

doesn't necessarily bother me if we met kids that had their names. we did select names that weren't super common or popular, but b/c we loved the names

almostamom
04-13-2014, 01:34 PM
My DS has an uncommon name. I think it is barely in the top 1000 names. We have met two children with the same name - one girl and one boy.

smilequeen
04-13-2014, 02:25 PM
My oldest has a name in the 200s for popularity. It's uncommon enough that he thinks it's fun to meet someone else with the same name, but it's not a truly uncommon, unheard of name. That's kind of what we were going for. No one in our circle has a child with the same name.

My middle has a name that was around the same as DS1's when we chose it and has risen substantially. Not a top 20 name, but we do know 2 other families fairly well that have sons with the same name.

My last, we knew his name was relatively common (more common than DS2's name has become, but also not a top 20 name). We know a few families with boys with his name. There are 4 in the small private school the boys go to, whereas there are no other kids with the other 2 names.

I don't know anyone with a girl with the name we would have used, but I've heard it around. It seems to be similar to DS1's name.

At first I was really concerned with getting that perfect name, but now, I'm just glad that so far, they've never had another one in class or on the same sports team.

hellbennt
04-13-2014, 03:07 PM
My 2 ds have biblical names - no one has ds1's name in his age grp; there's a teenager at our synagogue w/ his name & ds2 is the same, only the boy in the synagogue is a toddler & ds2 is 7. The funny thing is, the toddler looks like ds2 did at his age :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turtle414
04-13-2014, 03:20 PM
My first has a name in the top 5 for the year she was born :/ but I'd always loved the name and wasn't budging on it. My second is far more uncommon but used in memory of a friend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

BabyBearsMom
04-13-2014, 03:46 PM
None of the kids in our circle of friends or at our preschool have the same name as either DD. I do no a woman who I used to work with who named her daughter the same name as DD1 with the same nn. I've met other girls with the same nn but a different full name. DD2 goes by a nn and I know of kids whose full name is dd2's nn but none with her full name. Both names are traditional style names. Dd1 is a top 50 name, dd2 has not breached the top 100

maestramommy
04-13-2014, 03:56 PM
Yes :) OTOH, one of Dh's old climbing buddies had a graduate assistant from China. She named her daughter Dora, so now there is another Dorasamelastname walking around the world, lol. Also one of my bffs from HS named his youngest, a daughter, Arwyn, same spelling. He and his DW are huge LOTR fans too. Finally, I've met some older adult women named Laurel (isn't there a Laurel on this board?).

That was a deliberate choice for us.

MontrealMum
04-13-2014, 04:36 PM
Yes :) Though it's not unusual for DS to meet adults with his name.

Just the other day DH was with DS in the drugstore. DS had wandered away so DH called his name, a mom shopping nearby looked at DS and said "are you the X in my DD's class"? And he was :) That's how rare DS' name is.

citymama
04-14-2014, 02:30 AM
We know no kids with our DD's names. We know one adult with each kids' names, although the adults spell it differently (ours are the classic spellings, theirs aren't!). There are several girls we have met with names similar to older DDs name, but not the same name and no one we know well.

JdrKuhnert
04-14-2014, 06:07 AM
Amazingly enough, we don't know anyone with names similar to our 4 boys. We use German spellings, but even the English equivalent isn't represented in our circle. DS4 name is somewhat unique in the US, but DS1-3 have fairly traditional biblical names.

klwa
04-14-2014, 06:52 AM
Well, I said yes, but it kind of depends on what you define as circle of friends. :)

DS's name is the same as the middle name of my cousin's son, who goes by his middle name. However, I saw said cousin's son for the first time since DS was born at his father's funeral this December, so it's not a huge overlap.

DD1's name is the same as a friend-from-college's daughter. However, we didn't realize it until we Facebook friended each other after the girls were born.

DD2's name is fairly common among kids 10 years+ older than her around here, so I'm friends with several people who have that name, but DD2 isn't around any of them. (Work friends, friends from back home, etc.) And, since the kids are 10-20 years older than her, it's still not the same.

DS has 1 friend at before/after school care with the same name as him. I don't think either girl knows anyone in real life with their names.

kboyle
04-14-2014, 07:19 AM
Yes, in all of their grades (not just in our circle of friends) there aren't any other with same name or at least same 'nickname' There's a Charles in Charlie's grade, but that's what he goes by, and Charlie's not a Charles, he's just Charlie. And there's one other Ernie (child) in our city and he's a grade older than ds3.

lfp2n
04-14-2014, 07:34 AM
DD has a top 5, and has been top 2, girls name but surprisingly there wasn't 1 in her entire elementary school. I think now there may be 1 other in a different grade at middle school. None in our circle of friends or family. She did have 1 on her soccer team who went by a shortened version. Its weird, I think it must be not as popular in our part of the country.

Jen841
04-14-2014, 07:35 AM
We just met the first Jude we know that is less than 60. Everyone knows the name, but they don't know someone with the name.

Hey Jude!

KrisM
04-14-2014, 07:39 AM
Our next door neighbor's oldest is the same as DS1. They are 2 years apart and the neighbor goes by a nickname. It's no big deal. Oddly, DS1's name was #6 the year he was born and he's the only one with that name in 165 4th graders!

DD's name is older and we don't know anyone with it.

DS2's name is more common than DD's, but still we don't know of anyone with it.

vonfirmath
04-14-2014, 09:52 AM
My daughter has an agemate that has the same name as my son

And one of my son's good friends has my daughter's middle name as her name.

My nephew shares a name with his best friend, who is 3 months (older? I think) Than him. They have known each other since they were born.

Raidra
04-14-2014, 11:32 AM
I know of a Lochlan and a Fiona, but we're not friends with them (we've never actually met Lochlan, and we've only seen Fiona once or twice at the park). No other Colwyns. I didn't know there was a 'famous' Niall until I called to book a Disney vacation and the rep said, "Oh, I bet we're gonna see a lot of babies named Niall soon!" I had no clue what she was talking about and had to Google it. But no Nialls that we're friends with.

AnnieW625
04-14-2014, 11:36 AM
......Finally, I've met some older adult women named Laurel (isn't there a Laurel on this board?).

Yes and she hasn't been around much, and we found out after PMing a few times that we grew up in the same area and are about the same age. I went to school with a Laurel who is my age as well and always like the name, but Dh couldn't get on board with it and liked Lauren better.

legaleagle
04-14-2014, 12:18 PM
My kids have very classic names, at least one of which has been between 50-100 for a while, the others are in the 200-300 range. We've only met one other kid with the same name - DD's - in her daycare class no less though she goes exclusively by the common nickname which we never use.

queenmama
04-14-2014, 12:41 PM
Ha! Yeah. By a decade in either direction, for him, at least.

Henry is in 8th grade, almost 14.
Agnes is 2 (in two weeks!).

ETA: we don't have friends with our own names either. Jake is popular now but I guess not in the 70s, and Lara is a name I hear/see online every now and then, but I don't have any in my life.

Lara

AnnieW625
04-14-2014, 01:53 PM
DD1's name was 48 in 2009, but IIRC was as high as 25 or 35 between 1999 and 2008. It was pretty popular among girls my sisters age (born in 87) along with Ashley, Amanda, Sarah, and Samantha, all names that were pretty popular when she was growing up. My sister is a Sarah though and all through out school there was never another Sarah in her classes until high school, and that Sarah had the same last name as we did!

.....ETA: we don't have friends with our own names either. Jake is popular now but I guess not in the 70s, and Lara is a name I hear/see online every now and then, but I don't have any in my life.

Lara

In DD1's class there are 3 dads with the name of Chris (and one student), the dads were born between I am thinking 69 and 74, there were 3 Vinces as well last year (now only 2), all born about 67-73.

Growing up except my 7th grade year, and my 10th grade year I never went to school with another girl named Anne/Annie (she was 2 yrs. ahead of me in school and our middle school was 7-9, and high school was 10-12). Funny thing is DH dated her a bit in high school so many years before he met me. When I joined my Jr. League in 2005 there were two other members whose name was Anne, and then this year another one joined and her name is Annie. All of the other people named Ann I had met in my life, most in college didn't have an E on their name.

My first choice of name for boys initially with Dd2 was Jacob and I would have called him Jake (which is my dad's nickname) and DH said no because he didn't want the image of Jake the Snake Roberts from WWF! I think I really would have pushed for Jacob though because of the nickname Jake.

queenmama
04-14-2014, 02:17 PM
My first choice of name for boys initially with Dd2 was Jacob and I would have called him Jake (which is my dad's nickname) and DH said no because he didn't want the image of Jake the Snake Roberts from WWF! I think I really would have pushed for Jacob though because of the nickname Jake.

I wanted something Jake-inspired, too. It's DH's AND my stepdad's (who raised me) names! But we didn't want another Jake and Jack was already feeling too "on the verge," popularity-wise, in 1999/2000 when we were expecting Henry.

Funnily, neither DH's nor my dad's given names are Jake. But their formal names aren't very inspiring so we went another direction. MIL didn't want to name him Jacob because they're extremely conservative Christians and Jacob has a negative meaning (supplanter/usurper). Pfft!
ETA: I meant to address the Jake the Snake thing! DH is tall and thin and was called Snake Hips or Jake the Pillow Snake from Dr. Seuss! Having a sheltered upbringing was to his advantage; nobody knew about the WWF! LOL

Lara

AnnieW625
04-14-2014, 02:31 PM
......Funnily, neither DH's nor my dad's given names are Jake. .....
Lara

Neither is my dad's it's Jeff, but his maternal uncle started calling him Jake at a young age like a toddler, and then when my uncle was born the same uncle started calling my uncle Will (William was middle name so that at least made a little sense) and low and behold the names stuck and so my dad was called Jake by the uncle, his brother, and sometimes his dad. My dad still calls my uncle Will all of the time, however my uncle doesn't call my dad Jake anymore. I wanted to name a boy Jacob William just because of that.

I have never heard of Jake the Pillow Snake, which book is that from?