PDA

View Full Version : Would you go or not?

firstbaby
04-13-2014, 12:09 PM
DH and I got hit really hard with a stomach bug yesterday. DH got hit harder than I did and he's gotten sick more today. I haven't gotten sick since 9pm last night and while I will occasionally feel a little nauseous, overall I'm feeling much better i.e. being totally on with the kids while he moans in bed isn't sending me over the edge today like it was yesterday :)

Here's the dilemma, I am supposed to go out with some girlfriends tonight for dinner and a movie and I don't know whether to go or not. My mom could take the kids and DH could rest, but if she got sick I would feel so bad. I think I feel well enough to go and I know I wouldn't be licking any of my friends or anything, but also don't want them getting sick from me. So, stay home or go? The kids feel totally fine FWIW.

SnuggleBuggles
04-13-2014, 12:12 PM
I had the stomach bug 3 weeks ago. Sick all day Saturday. By Sunday, I was still tired but would have gone out if I had plans.

BunnyBee
04-13-2014, 12:31 PM
No! You're still contagious. If your kids are incubating it, they'll share with your mom.

SnuggleBuggles
04-13-2014, 12:32 PM
Oh, I wouldn't let your mom babysit though.

JustMe
04-13-2014, 12:35 PM
I have had lots of 24 hour stomach bugs (more than any other illness actually) where I am fine the next day and my kids never got it. So, based on my own experiences I would do it. If you are feeling fine, I would have no problem meeting up with friends. I would ask your mom if she feels comfortable watching the kids based on what happened so far and make my decision based on that.

MMMommy
04-13-2014, 12:41 PM
I wouldn't go, as I think you would risk contagion to your friends and your mom. Also, I would want to have that extra time to be at home and rest up (as best as you can with kids and a sick DH) versus a night out.

Indianamom2
04-13-2014, 01:34 PM
Nope, I wouldn't go. That's not fair to your friends, IMO. You're not giving them the option to avoid your germs! Sorry, I know it stinks.

buddyleebaby
04-13-2014, 01:53 PM
I wouldn't.
I try to give myself 24 hours after symptoms subside, just to be sure.
You are still feeling nauseated, so while it sounds like you're feeling slightly better, you're most likely not completely over it yet.
Stay home, rest, and try to avoid passing it on.

firstbaby
04-13-2014, 02:25 PM
Thanks ladies. I'm not going. After I posted this, my spurt of energy totally ran out. I took my temperature again and I'm still running a fever. It's not worth it for my mom to possibly get sick or my friends. If any one has any survival tips for both parents to recover from a stomach bug while their kids run circles around them, that would be great :) It's a really beautiful day out and I feel so bad my kids are inside since my youngest one can't be out by himself. DH has managed to find a hiding place in the house and the three kids have been plastered to me.

smilequeen
04-13-2014, 02:29 PM
I read your update and I was going to say, probably not because in my experience those things tend to linger...feel better, feel worse, feel better, etc. And I'm not a germaphobe but I know how much it sucks to have a stomach virus go through a family, so I'm paranoid about passing one on and very cautious about resuming activities.

Honestly, I'm sick right now and DH is not. The 6 year old and 3 year old had it. DH is watching the 3 year old and my parents took the 2 older boys to their sports today. Then we'll probably run a movie thon for the rest of the afternoon. No limited screen time on sick days. DH was gone all week and my mom helped me with the healthy kids and I kept the sick one isolated. DS3 still caught it, and of course I did, but so far Grandma and DS1 are fine. This isn't a stomach virus though, although I got puked on 3 times this week anyway because of the coughing...It just sucks, so...sympathy...

mackmama
04-13-2014, 10:59 PM
No I would not potentially expose your friends or your mom.