PDA

View Full Version : Considering an iPhone and ditching the flip phone!

AnimalBabe
04-13-2014, 08:21 PM
So, I am finally considering buying an iPhone 5s, but I have a flip phone still, and am not technologically savvy, so I have a number of questions. So first, I do not know whether to get the 16GB or the 32 GB model...I currently have and use an iPod for listening to audio books in the car, and my iPod can store about 8GB on it I think. I am using all of that up. I could use the iPhone to also play my audiobooks, and ditch the iPod, but I believe I would then only have about 8 GB left on the 16GB iPhone to use for pics and videos and such. So my first question is: do you use your iPhone 5s a ton for pictures and video? How good is the quality on this model? If I am going to use the phone as my only camera on trips, then I am thinking I should go with the 32 GB model.

Second, as I am so scared that I will drop the 32GB or my toddler will get at it and drop it, does the iPhone come with some sort of accident insurance or coverage, and does this cost extra? On a similar note, can you recommend a great, protective case??

Third, how much data do you all typically use? The salesman I spoke with said he recommends everyone get 1 GB per month of data, which is about $40 per month I think! I don't see why I would need that much because I could simply connect to our at-home wifi, or free wifi at restaurants, etc, is that correct? Also, I cannot bring my phone into work, so I wouldn't even be using it 3 days out of the week for the most part.

Fourth, I am hoping to use this on an upcoming overseas trip, and the salesman told me the roaming fees are about .50 cents per minute to make calls. What if you connect with it to internet overseas? For anyone that's used the iPhone 5s in global mode, how easy/hard is it to change the phone to work over in another country?

Well, that's all to start off with. I'm sure I will have more questions! Thanks!!

vonfirmath
04-14-2014, 10:19 AM
I had a ipod and a flip phone and had to get a new phone. Decided to go with the iphone. I ended up with an iphone 4s as the best compromise of space and cost. Now, almost a year later, I'd probably look harder at the iphone 5.

I got an otterbox to put on the phone and its made it this long. OTOH, the ONLY times either of my kids get my phone is when they are sitting down and I'm monitoring the situation.

calebsmama03
04-14-2014, 11:32 AM
I had an iPod touch and flip phone till late last summer. I've currently got a handed down iPhone 3GS so I'm still on the low end of things but a huge step up from my flip phone and iPod (really want a 5 just for the good camera!). I have 16g and it's plenty for my use, but I also have an iPad mini. I have mine on tmobile and pay $30/mo for their prepaid plan with unlimited text and data, 100 mins of talk- perfect plan for me because I don't like to talk on the phone much. I have an app from vonage (free and don't need to have their service) that allows me to make outgoing calls free using my unlimited data and no voice mins. This has been perfect for me. If you're still on a flip phone, I am guessing you're not a really heavy phone user? If so I'd really recommend looking at this plan. If you need more phone mins, their postpaid plans are cheaper than most others. If the coverage is decent in your area it's a great deal. Iirc the lowest postpaid plan is $50 for 500gb data with unlimited talk and text? I believe the data is technically unlimited but it's just the first 500 on the fast 4g network and if you go over they bump you down to the slow speed stuff.

As for data usage, I would start lower (if going with a traditional plan) because you can always upgrade if needed. I don't think I've ever used more than 250-300 a month. I'm not a heavy user and am connected to wifi when it's available but I frequently check email, Facebook, search google, etc several times a day in cell data. You just can't go streaming movies with lower data amounts. :)

Eta the plan I have is only available online or at walmart, not at tmo stores. If you decide to try it lmk and I'll give you more info on how to find it (not a referral, mods ;) just a little tricky to set up at first).

sariana
04-14-2014, 11:39 AM
As far as I know, AppleCare costs $99 for 2 years of coverage. I haven't researched it in a while, though.

Most of your other questions are about your coverage plan, not an iPhone per se. How your service works overseas is dependent upon your carrier (AT&T, Verizon, etc) not the phone. [ETA: Some countries use different technologies, so American products don't work there. I'm not sure if/how this issues applies to iPhones.]

I have a 300 Mb data plan. I can't imagine using 1G in a month, but I don't use any apps or do any downloads. I just browse and occasionally text. I tend to use 150 M or less per month. Yes, you can connect to WiFi at home or anywhere else that has public WiFi or where you have the password.

BDKmom
04-14-2014, 11:53 AM
The only part of your questions I have experience with is the amount of storage. I had 16 gb on my first 2 iphones (3GS and 4S) and just went to 32gb with my 5s. With 16, I had to make sure to save my pics to my computer often, because I would run out of room and have to delete some. I do have a lot of apps, both for myself and for the kids. But that was without having any movies on my phone. If you think you would want to keep some movies on there, definitely go with 32.

ETA: To answer another of your questions, yes, my phone is almost always what I use for pics and video. I only drag out the video camera or dSLR for special occasions.

nfowife
04-14-2014, 01:30 PM
Not sure what company you are going with. I have AT&T. DH and I share 10GB of data and we have unlimited talking and texting and our total bill comes to $102 a month. That is with a 15% discount on the voice plan (military discount). We do use a lot of data for maps, browsing and emailingI would start with a lower level and see what your usage is over the first few months, and adjust from there.

I would also recommend the 32GB. I started my iphone journey with an 8GB and upped to a 16 with the 5. Now I wish I had the 32 as photos and videos are filling up my storage very quickly.

SnuggleBuggles
04-14-2014, 03:38 PM
I use 1gb data/ month. I don't like logging on to public wi-fi a ton. I wish I had a 32 instead of 16. I constantly have to prune photos or apps. The ability to not have to worry about capacity so much would be great.

Eta- I do take pictures off but once on vacation once, I hit capacity. That sucked.

AnnieW625
04-14-2014, 03:44 PM
I use 1gb data/ month. I don't like logging on to public wi-fi a ton. I wish I had a 32 instead of 16. I constantly have to prune photos or apps. The ability to not have to worry about capacity so much would be great.

:yeahthat: although I don't mind taking photos or apps of my phone and only using the apps as needed. Even my sister who swore she'd never use her phone outside of home got 1gig and she is glad that she did. I use data for maps every so often and it is helpful, and sometimes if I can't get the wifi to work at my gym I will watch a 20 minute ep. of a tv show on my phone while I am on a cardio machine to keep me on it longer and I have never once gone over my data. I have 2 gigs of data and I have never gone over 1/1/2 gigs of data in a month and for the first month we had our phones we didn't have wifi at home.

AnimalBabe
04-15-2014, 11:16 AM
Thanks, everyone for your responses! For those that recommended a 32 GB phone, did you try uploading your pics to the cloud instead of leaving them on your phone? I was told by a colleague that he does that and then just downloads them to his home computer after a trip, so that doesn't use up space.

vonfirmath--I heard the Otterbox cases are great, but I was looking at reviews for the ones designed for the 5s and there is a extra cutout for the thumb print scanner which people are saying allows in a ton of dust/dirt. I"m not sure what to do about that.

Also, now I"m also debating about whether I should get the 5s or just wait until the fall when the iphone 6 comes out! There are rumors it has a bigger screen, which I would love, as that is my one gripe about the current iphone. I"m not sure how much $$ it would be though.

And yes, I forgot to mention what service we have. We would continue to use Verizon. I think it would be about $105 minimum for our monthly plan (with my husband continuing to use his flip phone), and getting unlimited text and voice.

Nooknookmom
04-15-2014, 11:41 AM
I had a ipod and a flip phone and had to get a new phone. Decided to go with the iphone. I ended up with an iphone 4s as the best compromise of space and cost. Now, almost a year later, I'd probably look harder at the iphone 5.

I got an otterbox to put on the phone and its made it this long. OTOH, the ONLY times either of my kids get my phone is when they are sitting down and I'm monitoring the situation.

I went from a Internet capable something to a 4s and just got DH a 4s for .99! Plus fees ;)

The only gripe I have is my fone is full. I have the 16g. I like he droids capability to use a mini sd...bc I take tons of pics and hate cloud uploading and my computer is old and I have storage issues.

So I APPLE IS LISTENING make the iPhone with removable memory!!

kristac
04-15-2014, 12:33 PM
DH and I share 1G of data and never get close to the limit.

If you can afford the 32 I'd definitely splurge on that.

I have a lifeproof case and love it.

legaleagle
04-15-2014, 12:36 PM
Re cases, I have the speck candy shell grip for my 5 and it has survived perfectly with toddlers and my own butterfingers (quite a few drops) for 1.5 years. Otterbox would be way overkill for me. I should probably have a screen protector on it but I keep forgetting to get one and so far so good.

brittone2
04-15-2014, 12:59 PM
We only moved to smart phones recently and got a $60/month loyalty plan with verizon since we have been long time customers. Unlimited text and talk, 2GB of data each. This is not an advertised plan, but I was poking around some phone forums recommended here 2 months ago or so and saw it mentioned on one of those. We called and they were willing to do it. It is a better deal for us for data than sharing our data. My parents have a phone under our acct and they don't have wifi, so will potentially use more data than us. DH and I use little data since we are mostly on wifi.

We have galaxy s4s, so no help with your i phone questions. I like having an otterbox on my phone. I am a klutz at times, and with the kids, etc. I'd rather have it in a good case. I don't love the look or bulk of it, but I am still happy to have a serious case on it.

AnimalBabe
04-15-2014, 01:34 PM
I went from a Internet capable something to a 4s and just got DH a 4s for .99! Plus fees ;)

The only gripe I have is my fone is full. I have the 16g. I like he droids capability to use a mini sd...bc I take tons of pics and hate cloud uploading and my computer is old and I have storage issues.

So I APPLE IS LISTENING make the iPhone with removable memory!!

Noonookmom, why did you find it hard to upload to the cloud? I'm not overly familiar with how it works, but from what little I read about it so far, it looks like you can configure your phone to instantly stream your photos to the ICloud, and then access them from any apple device you hold. You have to pay for over 5GB though I think. Did you use the iCloud or some other uploading service?

I read about the mini sd card capability for the Android--that is definitely a plus!

AnimalBabe
04-15-2014, 01:35 PM
brittone2, i have not heard of the loyalty plan...will definitely have to call and inquire about that one! That sounds like a great deal. Thanks.

brittone2
04-15-2014, 01:38 PM
brittone2, i have not heard of the loyalty plan...will definitely have to call and inquire about that one! That sounds like a great deal. Thanks.

Just wanted to add that the $60 is per line for us, not $60 total. Reread my post and wanted to make sure that part was clear. But each line has 2GB of data for that price vs. sharing.

SnuggleBuggles
04-15-2014, 01:40 PM
Fwiw, dh went to T Mobile pay by the month, no contract and it's less than $40/mo unlimited text, unlimited data but phone limits. He got around that by using google voice.

AnimalBabe
04-15-2014, 01:56 PM
SnuggleBuggles, I was looking at those prepaid plans, but it looked like you end up paying hundreds of dollars more in the long run for the phone? Or is this something different?

SnuggleBuggles
04-15-2014, 02:00 PM
He has to buy his phone outright. Mine was "free" but my plan costs $100/mo and his is $37. Doesn't take long to pay for that phone.

larig
04-15-2014, 02:31 PM
Noonookmom, why did you find it hard to upload to the cloud? I'm not overly familiar with how it works, but from what little I read about it so far, it looks like you can configure your phone to instantly stream your photos to the ICloud, and then access them from any apple device you hold. You have to pay for over 5GB though I think. Did you use the iCloud or some other uploading service?

I read about the mini sd card capability for the Android--that is definitely a plus!

iCloud for photos couldn't be easier. you can also use google+ or Facebook to automatically store your photos from your phone, so if you should decide you don't like iCloud you're not locked-in.

I think anything smaller than 32 gig isn't ideal. 32 is the sweet spot, in my opinion.

AnimalBabe
04-15-2014, 02:41 PM
iCloud for photos couldn't be easier. you can also use google+ or Facebook to automatically store your photos from your phone, so if you should decide you don't like iCloud you're not locked-in.

I think anything smaller than 32 gig isn't ideal. 32 is the sweet spot, in my opinion.

Thanks for the icloud info! So, I"m still confused as to why some are suggesting I need the 32 gig...if you upload to the cloud, and I keep all my audiobooks on my iPod, and don't really intend to let my kiddo use my phone for apps or games (he's already taken over our iPad!) then why do I need the 32?

SnuggleBuggles
04-15-2014, 02:45 PM
Because apps are a slippery slope. :). Some are so handy or fun that you just keep getting them.

I like lots of music too. :).

I think too that you'll not be inspired to keep using the iPod when you could just carry one device.

After you listen to an audiobook, you can uncheck it from the device. Keep it in your library, not phone.

I don't trust iCloud. In sure that's weird but I don't trust that something won't go wrong and they won't disappear.

Nooknookmom
04-15-2014, 04:04 PM

I had too much stuff and they wanted me to pay for more storage....not! Anyone know another way to store lemme know! I have most on shutterfly as a backup and Dropbox but my Dropbox also has biz stuff and is almost full.

I have an android tablet too so I could use my mini sd with that also :(

To OP: I have an otterbox defender case on mine and it has fallen part but kept my fone safe. DH has a new defender and so far ok.

calebsmama03
04-15-2014, 05:20 PM
SnuggleBuggles, I was looking at those prepaid plans, but it looked like you end up paying hundreds of dollars more in the long run for the phone? Or is this something different?

Not this poster but while you do have to pay up front for the phone (so 600 ish for an iPhone) if you look at the total cost over 2 years on tmobile buying the phone and paying $30 a month (I have this same plan) or getting s "free" of "cheap" phone from a contract carrier and paying a much high mo holy rate you usually end up saving many hundreds over the 2 years of a contract, even more over the life of the phone. And unless you must have the newest model phone, you can buy an unlocked phone on eBay, etc and save even more (I'm using BILs old iPhone).

ang79
04-16-2014, 11:48 PM
Dh and I recently switched to Net10 when we got iPhone. Mine is a hand me down from my mom and he bought his used from GameStop. They are only the 3gs, but its still way better than the dumbphones we had! Our total bill is $85/month plus tax. We have unlimited talk, text, and a good amount of data that we never come close to using all of it. The downside to a no contract company is no or very limited roaming and not so great customer service. Net10 on at&t does some roaming but I don't have consistent service when visiting my family in very rural northern pa. But for the cheap price I'm willing to deal with some small dead areas the few times a year I visit.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk