PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Visit or Wait it Out?

Indianamom2
04-14-2014, 09:07 AM
I think I know the answer, but here's the question:

Ds (4.75) has had a cold for a little over a week. Today he is running a fever and has a really icky sounding cough. I kept him home from school (he was on spring break all last week). Does this warrant a trip to the pedi? Is it likely a secondary infection with the fever kicking in a week later?

Compounding the issue just a bit....he is going to be in my SIL's wedding in less than two weeks, so I need him healthy!

Dr. or wait?

almostmom
04-14-2014, 09:50 AM
I'd go to the doc after a week, and a fever coming on. I don't go to the doc very easily, but it might be time for abx.

Simon
04-14-2014, 10:25 AM
How high is the fever? If my kids spike a fever over 102 after a week or more of a cough, then I assume they've caught a secondary bacterial infection that might be helped by antibiotics. If its just 100-101, then I'd probably wait 24-48 hours if you can, just to see if his body can do it on its own, but if its up over 102.5 or so, then I'd call and take him in.

PZMommy
04-14-2014, 10:48 AM
I'd go in. I know of three people diagnosed with pneumonia in the last week after having a cold.

lil_acorn
04-14-2014, 11:09 AM
I'd take him in. I recall my doctor saying that if he spikes a fever later on, it likely means it's something else that needs to be looked at.

kep
04-14-2014, 11:29 AM
Yes, I agree to take him in. A fever popping up after a week usually signals a secondary infection in my kids.

Indianamom2
04-14-2014, 12:09 PM
Thanks all. His fever is low-grade (100.1), but his cough sounds bad and to my knowledge, he didn't have a fever until now. I just want to make sure he's ok because he doesn't ever really complain about feeling bad, even when he really is sick. I might give him until tomorrow and if he still has a fever, then I'll take him in tomorrow.

wendibird22
04-14-2014, 12:30 PM
I'd take him in. I usually figure if I already have my kid home with me I might as well visit the doc. If it's something other than viral, then at least I can get my kid started on meds.

mikala
04-14-2014, 03:02 PM
I'd at least call to speak to a nurse. Our ped would probably want to see him given those symptoms if he really seems to be feeling bad. I'd wait a day if he has normal energy and is eating and sleeping normally.

TwoBees
04-14-2014, 03:03 PM
I'd take him in. I usually figure if I already have my kid home with me I might as well visit the doc. If it's something other than viral, then at least I can get my kid started on meds.

:yeahthat:

Indianamom2
04-14-2014, 04:57 PM
Just to clarify, Ds is only in preschool Monday and Thursday, so I'm not worried about him missing any extra school, otherwise I'd absolutely have taken him. He seems fine....not a ton of appetite, but that's normal for him sometimes. He doesn't currently have a fever, so I think I'll just keep an eye on him see how he is tonight and tomorrow morning.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm trying not to overreact. I'd also love to avoid yet another Dr. appt. as I have been a TON for my issues lately. But we've got to do what we've got to do!

hillview
04-14-2014, 09:19 PM
I guess I am an outlier but I wouldn't take him in unless he was super lethargic or fever that Tylenol didn't bring under control. We are not keen on abx here

Indianamom2
04-14-2014, 09:41 PM
I guess I am an outlier but I wouldn't take him in unless he was super lethargic or fever that Tylenol didn't bring under control. We are not keen on abx here

Oh I completely agree about abx...I think Ds may have had them once in nearly 5 years. I avoid them if at all possible.

Ds had a low-grade fever again this evening before bed. I think something's brewing.

SnuggleBuggles
04-14-2014, 10:16 PM
All except a very small handful of times in my parenting career, I have been right to go in. Ear infections and strep throat have been my kids main problems. So, I tend to follow my gut. We'd probably go in if not better tomorrow or the next day.

kellij
04-14-2014, 11:03 PM
That sounds like an ear infection.

mackmama
04-16-2014, 01:52 AM
How is he doing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hillview
04-16-2014, 08:13 AM
How is he doing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
:yeahthat:

Indianamom2
04-16-2014, 09:14 AM
Thanks for asking! Ds is still pretty congested, but acting normal. He doesn't have a fever right now, though it was around 100 again yesterday afternoon. I called the pedi and explained and they told me we were ok waiting a bit more but that if his fever went up or he started having new symptoms to get in to see them by Friday (since the wedding will be next Sat.)

I'm fine with waiting since he's acting fine (currently running from one end of the living room to the other with a huge grin on his face!) Thanks for thinking of him!