PDA

View Full Version : Early reader books ?

PMJ
04-14-2014, 11:08 AM
DH wants me to purchase some books for DD -- to get her to begin reading. She is VERY interested in reading, does the occasional abc mouse and starfall on line, but he wants more. I'm sitting back and not getting involved. :) She is 4.5 yrs. old.

I was hoping to find something from Barnes Noble and something that is not boring (like the traditional BOB books).

Thanks for your recommendations!

lizzywednesday
04-14-2014, 11:13 AM
Most kids start with picture books, I thought.

My DD isn't reading-ready, but she did enjoy Keep the Lights Burning, Abbie recently. It's historical fiction for younger children about an actual 17-year-old girl (Abigail "Abbie" Burgess) who minded a lighthouse in the 1880s while her father, the appointed keeper, was on the mainland for supplies.

That might be a bit of a challenge, but it strikes me as an OK level to work up to.

elephantmeg
04-14-2014, 01:48 PM
Now I'm reading!!!! LOVED them. Both kids learned to read using it.

acmom
04-14-2014, 08:08 PM
Is she already reading a little on her own? Does she know some sight words yet? I taught K and 1st grade, but need a little more info about where she is now to suggest books...

PMJ
04-14-2014, 08:11 PM
Is she already reading a little on her own? Does she know some sight words yet? I taught K and 1st grade, but need a little more info about where she is now to suggest books...

No, I would say she does not know sight words at all. Very sporadic - few flash cards here and there.

elephantmeg
04-14-2014, 09:23 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Now-Im-Reading-Level-One/dp/1584761598

zag95
04-14-2014, 11:10 PM
DD is in K- and has been reading Bob books with the at home reading program at school, since Oct. She is into Level 4, almost 5 of the Bobs. I'd do some books from the library. I'd keep up with the starfall too- and maybe look at some early readers- like Biscuit, Mittens, etc.

egoldber
04-15-2014, 09:12 AM
Honestly, the best thing you can do for her is continue to read to her. A lot. You can use your finger as you move over the page to show her how language flows. Also engage her in the text by asking her questions about the illustrations, asking her to predict what happens next, asking you to tell her what her favorite part of the story was and why, etc. Not in a quizzing way, but just trying to get her to engage actively in the story.

Also, build a love and enthusiasm for reading. Model reading. Take family trips to the library and let her pick whatever books she want. Letting kids pick out their own books is very exciting for them. Even now, we try to take family trips to the library every Saturday. Even the 12 year old is still excited by that. :)

acmom
04-15-2014, 09:57 AM
Honestly, the best thing you can do for her is continue to read to her. A lot. You can use your finger as you move over the page to show her how language flows. Also engage her in the text by asking her questions about the illustrations, asking her to predict what happens next, asking you to tell her what her favorite part of the story was and why, etc. Not in a quizzing way, but just trying to get her to engage actively in the story.

Also, build a love and enthusiasm for reading. Model reading. Take family trips to the library and let her pick whatever books she want. Letting kids pick out their own books is very exciting for them. Even now, we try to take family trips to the library every Saturday. Even the 12 year old is still excited by that. :)

I agree with all of this! If she wants some books to try reading on her own, ask your library if they have a section for leveled readers or beginning readers. Some predictable books with simple patterned text, along with some sight words is a good place to start. Those beginning readers don't really have a "story" but are good for learning 1 to 1 correspondence, sight words and beginning strategies. So you will want to continue reading aloud for sure so she can still have access to great stories and non- fiction text. As she gets the hang of those early predictable books with only a line or two of text, you can graduate to something like biscuit or elephant and Piggie for a little more interest.

lizzywednesday
04-15-2014, 11:41 AM
... You can use your finger as you move over the page to show her how language flows. ...

Without this technique, we'd never have made it through Keep the Lights Burning, Abbie with DD! It helped her sit and be patient enough to get to the next page.

It's a great technique!

I also try to keep our reading varied - she loves Dr. Seuss (so do I - I used to do poetry interpretation at drama competitions), but we've also read Bringing the Rain to Kapiti Plain, among other stories. I feel it's important to have an ear for both the rhythms of prose and poetry so poems don't throw a kid "off" as an older student.