PDA

View Full Version : 24 People Who Applied for the Toughest Job...

queenmama
04-14-2014, 04:04 PM
http://www.adweek.com/adfreak/24-people-who-applied-worlds-toughest-job-were-quite-surprise-157028

This is awesome. I was LOLing about the one girl who kept saying, "No! No!" and, "That's inhumane!" The ending was sweet.

Spoiler...
As a SAHM, I can't imagine how EXTRA tough it is for you working parents (whether in or out of the home). I can barely keep my head above water with this ONE job, much less having dozens of other tasks piled on top, trying to find time for it all, balancing the responsibilities... Giant kudos to all moms and dads. It IS tough! :)

Lara

AnnieW625
04-14-2014, 05:53 PM
Thanks Lara! I will watch the video when I get home....if I remember to watch from my ipad or the phone (using a stand) while I am cooking dinner. Most likely bean a d cheese burritos tonight

123LuckyMom
04-14-2014, 06:54 PM
Thanks for sharing!!!

crayonblue
04-14-2014, 07:06 PM
Awwww, tears.

maestramommy
04-14-2014, 07:20 PM
Waaaaaaaaaaah!

queenmama
04-14-2014, 08:42 PM
Ha! I cried, too. The funniest woman was also the most touching.

Lara

DietCokeLover
04-14-2014, 09:31 PM
Oh, that really made me miss my mom and wish I could tell her one more time how much I appreciated her.

elephantmeg
04-14-2014, 09:38 PM
awesome! LOVED IT!

melrose7
04-14-2014, 09:57 PM
Thanks for sharing

shweethart
04-15-2014, 01:58 AM
Didn't click but I can guess the job based on title alone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anonomom
04-15-2014, 09:54 AM
I would have killed them to say "parents?" Dads do all of this stuff too.

I get what they're trying to do and it's sweet in its way, but I'd quibble with some of the "requirements." If there really were no breaks available, the internet wouldn't exist.

wendibird22
04-15-2014, 10:08 AM

My DH is just as much a "mom" as I am.

daisysmom
04-15-2014, 10:33 AM
This had me crying. True, we get some "breaks" but honestly, they aren't true breaks. My DD has some health issues that we can't quite figure out if we need further testing or if she is just outside the range on some blood levels and to let it go. I (at almost 45) called my Dad yesterday after spending hours at work on the internet trying to figure out what this could be, if it is problematic, if the ranges might have more allowances, and I asked my dad (almost 76), "I know I am overresearching this... but that's what I need to do. When do you stop worrying about your kids?" And he chuckled and said "Never. I am just as concerned about you at 45 than I was when you were 7 too. I still worry about all you kids, and now all your kids too." So my "breaks" are rarely just carefree exits from the job as motherhood. Even when I am at the office and on task, I am still working with her in mind, to provide for her, to show her that women can have successful careers in male dominated fields, to show her that even not having work-life balance is ok sometimes. I am never ever not doing something without my kid in mind. Even when I go running in the morning, one of my goals is a longer healthier life to provide for her.

queenmama
04-15-2014, 01:45 PM

I get what they're trying to do and it's sweet in its way, but I'd quibble with some of the "requirements." If there really were no breaks available, the internet wouldn't exist.

They're really referring to "primary caregivers," which aren't even necessarily parents these days! I know loads of kids being raised by grandparents, and even some who live with aunts and uncles. I did mention dads in my original post but the message of the video applies to anyone raising kids. I guess if they'd said, "parents," some of those other guardians might've been hurt at their exclusion.

For the record, DH isn't half the parent I am. He's an excellent provider and a phenomenally hard worker, but he doesn't invest a tenth of the time I do in the kids, not counting the hours he's clocked in and making money. When he's not working or with the kids, he can relax and take a TRUE break, whereas I feel like I'm always "on." I know there are dads who do every bit as much as moms (and some do everything!), but my husband didn't get that memo. :P (BP much? LOL)

Lara

queenmama
04-15-2014, 01:46 PM
This had me crying. True, we get some "breaks" but honestly, they aren't true breaks. My DD has some health issues that we can't quite figure out if we need further testing or if she is just outside the range on some blood levels and to let it go. I (at almost 45) called my Dad yesterday after spending hours at work on the internet trying to figure out what this could be, if it is problematic, if the ranges might have more allowances, and I asked my dad (almost 76), "I know I am overresearching this... but that's what I need to do. When do you stop worrying about your kids?" And he chuckled and said "Never. I am just as concerned about you at 45 than I was when you were 7 too. I still worry about all you kids, and now all your kids too." So my "breaks" are rarely just carefree exits from the job as motherhood. Even when I am at the office and on task, I am still working with her in mind, to provide for her, to show her that women can have successful careers in male dominated fields, to show her that even not having work-life balance is ok sometimes. I am never ever not doing something without my kid in mind. Even when I go running in the morning, one of my goals is a longer healthier life to provide for her.

This choked me up a bit. I love what your dad said. And I'm sending big hugs and P&PT for you and your DD!

Lara

daisysmom
04-15-2014, 01:58 PM
This choked me up a bit. I love what your dad said. And I'm sending big hugs and P&PT for you and your DD!

Lara

Thank you :) My dad did get the memo on being an involved Dad, and his kids were born between 1965 and 1976, so he was truly an exception to the rule, even though he worked full time. My mother has always said that no one could rock a crying baby as well as my Dad did and he still does it to his grandkids. Like you though, my DH doesn't invest the time either. He will do what I ask him to do, but it just doesn't come innately to him, he has to be asked (and asked again and again and again). When he focuses he is excellent, but he isn't always on.

All this being said -- the ad was about sending moms a mother's day card. So I am not surprised that they didn't mention dads or other caregivers when it is for mothers day.

specialp
04-15-2014, 01:59 PM

Agree with the 2nd part. DH is very involved and I'm no mom martyr so I get lots of breaks. I get the point of the ad though. Re: the parents, the end was an ad to buy a mother's day card - cardstore.com & American Greetings - so maybe that was the focus. [eta: cross posted]

citymama
04-15-2014, 02:00 PM
It made me tear up!

And to think it's just an ad for American Greetings.

musicalgrl
04-15-2014, 05:28 PM
PHENOMENAL marketing idea. They were talking about it on the Today Show this morning and showed part of the video. Mission accomplished, and well done.