PDA

View Full Version : Vaginal bleeding after menopause

essnce629
04-14-2014, 05:11 PM
My mom will be 58 years old next month and her last period was in February 2009, so over 5 years ago. Just a few days ago she started having brown spotting then red blood like a light period. It's been 4 days now and she still has some light bleeding. She said over a week ago her boobs got really sore like PMS and since she's been bleeding she's been having period-like cramps as well. She's been taking HRT for a few years (both estrogen and progesterone) because of the hot flashes she was having. She takes them every day at the same time (sets an alarm). She was a late bloomer (first AF at 15 years old) and has only been pregnant and given birth once (me). She also has hypothyroidism and takes daily meds for that.

I told her to call her doctor right away when it started last Thursday. That day she talked to 2 different nurses who asked her a ton of questions and told her that the bleeding is definitely not normal. They said she needed to see an OBGYN and should get a call by the end of the day for an appointment time. She didn't get a call. I told her to call back today if she didn't hear anything. So she did and they gave her an appointment with an OBGYN for May 2nd!!! That's over 2 weeks from now! I told her they should see her asap to see where the bleeding is coming from (cervix? uterus?) and to call back and tell them 2 weeks from now is not acceptable.

Has anyone known someone to go through the same thing? Looks like it can be thinning skin (unlikely since she's on HRT I'd think), an infection, polyps, or uterine cancer. Her last pap was over 2 years ago since her doctor said the new recommendation is every 3 years!!!!

I did read some message boards with women who had the same thing happen and it turned out to be just a random period complete with sore boobs, o-pain, cramps, and light bleeding. All of them had ultrasounds, D&Cs, biopsies, etc and all came out normal. Odd, but hoping that's what is happening to my mom.

brittone2
04-14-2014, 06:29 PM
MIL has had it after steroid injections twice. She is late 60s. Her pcp had encountered it before. I would definitely encourage her to be seen for a followup.

brittone2
04-14-2014, 06:31 PM
Sorry can't edit but I hope her followup comes out clean. Keep us posted.

essnce629
04-14-2014, 07:16 PM
MIL has had it after steroid injections twice.

What were the steroid injections for and how long after the injections did the bleeding start? My mom did have steroid injections for an allergic reaction she had (full body hives) but that was months ago I think.

essnce629
04-14-2014, 07:17 PM
Ok, just looked it up (posted about it here) and that allergic reaction she had was over a year ago in March 2013. So not related to that!

brittone2
04-14-2014, 07:25 PM
It was close in time to when she had them. I think one was her ankle and one was her knee. The bleeding happened within a few days or a week maybe. She was very frightened, but thankfully there was a reasonable explanation.

georgiegirl
04-14-2014, 07:30 PM
You can get random bleeding a few months after steroid shots. Happened to me. My cycles was messed up for 6 months then I got pregnant. The Ob said she had post menopausal women bleeding after them.

essnce629
04-14-2014, 09:23 PM
You can get random bleeding a few months after steroid shots. Happened to me. My cycles was messed up for 6 months then I got pregnant. The Ob said she had post menopausal women bleeding after them.

But 13 months after? That seems unlikely.

HannaAddict
04-15-2014, 02:57 AM
I would really push to be seen sooner. Had a family member with cervical cancer at a late stage. But I hope it is nothing, though I'd want to be seen ASAP.

essnce629
04-15-2014, 03:57 AM
My mom called back and was able to get an appointment with another OBGYN on Wed! Yay for being proactive! I'll update when I find out more.