PDA

View Full Version : How long for a new pup...

hbridge
04-15-2014, 07:32 PM
We are about to bring home our new 8 week old puppy. How long can the little guy stay alone? We are definitely crate training and I seem to remember no more than 2 hours at the beginning, is that correct? We have some family and friends willing to help and have two dog walkers that should have some availability, but I need to know what I actually need for help first.

Thanks so much.

twowhat?
04-15-2014, 08:24 PM
I think 2 hours is a stretch for a pup that young. You want to set him up for success, so I'd start with 30 min and if he does well, gradually work your way up to 2 hours.

Have fun!!

doberbrat
04-15-2014, 08:30 PM
depends on the dog/breed. Small dog = small bladder.....

Rule of thumb is 1hr per month dog is old so 8w = 2h max.

daisysmom
04-15-2014, 08:34 PM
You will find books varying on this. 13 years ago when we brought home our yello lab, we had read that it was as many hours as they were months in age (so 2 months meant 2 hours). But the dog mom (a backyard breeder) told me that these dogs were fine to stay alone for 4 hours. I took the first week off (maternity leave) and I remember hearing her cry when I left her in the crate to go for a run. A but if skippy peanut butter in my finger solved that every time she went in the crate. I set my alarm once forthr middle of the night and within a week, she was sleeping the whole night. The second week, I had someone come during lunch for feeding and walking. But otherwise, 4-5 hours was our norm. She is still a great dog, at my feet now. I know more recent lab moms and they seem to leave the dogs for 4-5 hours for maybe the first 6 months. The key is getting your dog good and played/exercised so they just sleep while you are gone.

bnme
04-15-2014, 09:25 PM
We have a 3 month old lab / border collie mix. We got her at 9 weeks and leave her for about 5 hours (9-2ish) daily. She is fine and only peed in the crate twice. She also slept fine from the beginning, but I do get up for work at 5am. She gets lots of exercise when we are home. The hardest part is having to keep your eyes on her constantly around the house and yard.

123LuckyMom
04-15-2014, 11:04 PM
WhenI got my Golden, who is an elderly gentleman now, I let him out every 1.5 hours around the clock.

hbridge
04-16-2014, 06:31 AM
Thank you all for your replies. We are all very excited for the new pup, but the timing is not good. I have nine more weeks of work and will not be approved for a week off. Essentially, we will be having to crate the poor pup and have a team of friends and dog walkers come in to play with him until I'm done with this job. I'm essentially trying to figure out a schedule of visitors so the pup has what he needs without being overwhelmed or undervisited...

MaiseyDog
04-16-2014, 09:18 AM
We just got a new Lab puppy on the 5th. She has done really well and has slept in her crate from 11-5:30 without problem. I set an alarm the first night, but forgot the second night. When she didn't have an accident I decided not to get up unless she cried in the middle of the night.

We get up at 5:30 and play so that she is tired when she goes back in the crate between 7-7:30. We have a dog walker that comes at noon to let her out and plays with her for about 30 minutes. She goes back into the crate until we get home at 4:30 - 5:00. She's then out of her crate until bedtime. It's worked well for us. Our breeder said he uses the rule of 1 hour more than their age in months for how long they can be alone. We go a little over that but haven't had but 1 accident and that was the first day.

I will say that each puppy is different. This puppy has been the easiest we've had with potty training. My memory of my last puppy may be skewed, but I remember lots of crying in the night and lots of accidents. I stocked up on enzyme cleaner and puppy pads, but haven't really needed them this go round. Of course, I probably just jinxed myself.

Good luck with the new puppy.

daisysmom
04-16-2014, 02:16 PM
Thank you all for your replies. We are all very excited for the new pup, but the timing is not good. I have nine more weeks of work and will not be approved for a week off. Essentially, we will be having to crate the poor pup and have a team of friends and dog walkers come in to play with him until I'm done with this job. I'm essentially trying to figure out a schedule of visitors so the pup has what he needs without being overwhelmed or undervisited...

Ask your breeder if she is eating three meals a day or 2. I remember that we kept a "lunch" in there for a month after. I know a lot of working guys and gals that have gotten dogs over the years and I don't know anyone here that had a dog walked come more than for a mid-day meal and walk. I would do it half way through the time you are leaving and coming home and the dog will be fine.